0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2013 6:06 AM by staceylazarus

Communication with Parents, Students and Colleagues: Taming and Training the Technophobe

staceylazarus

Communication with Parents,

Students and Colleagues

This is extending the communication already started in two other threads: Parent Communication and OutReach and Intel Teach Live- March 2013- Building PLCs and PLNs.

How do you get started? The webinar gives us a very good start. Some questions that come to mind when you are not sure how to get started are: What happens if I am uncomfortable with being so outgoing on the Internet? I know I need to communicate with parents and students online, but don’t want to be exposed. How can I do this? My colleagues have great resources, how can I find the same ones?

This month’s Taming and Training the Technophobe will deal with gathering information and communicating with colleagues. Next month we will move on to the parent and student communication methods.

The progressions suggested here are only the beginnings. Please comment on where you would change or add to the order suggested. What have you found to be successful!!

Gathering/finding of resources

If you do not already have a PLC (learning community) or PLN (learning network), how do you start? Do you find people or resources? How do you find them? Do you want the resources to be “live”?

Intravert:

Join Diigo.com and search for a group interested in the same topic as you. Join and ask for daily email updates. Place websites you like in “My Library”, an online bookmarking system within Diigo that is public/private and available online.

Join Symbaloo.com and Pearltrees.com and repeat the process.

Join Twitter and search for groups that have similar interests. Easiest way is to go to tweetdeck.com and list several groups in your columns to follow. Here is a list of educational groups. When you do use tweetdeck, scan the columns once a day, or whenever you can. Pretend it is a conversation in a party that you are walking through and catching only parts of the conversation. Click on links that interest you and bookmark them in your Diigo, Symbaloo, or Pearltrees account.

Attend online webinars offered through Intel, BOCES, and other educational organizations. A simple search online will give you plenty to choose from.

Do a search for blogs to follow and get on their mailing list or RSS feeds. Richard Bryne has a wonderful blog and email server and Edudemic, like many blog providers, has a nice list.

Share all of your findings from the above activities through word of mouth, or if you do have a website, post it!

Extravert?

Do all of the above and post! Slowly get into it and keep going! Get an audience!

Previous Taming and Training the Technophobe.

Comment on where you would go with these progressions

on learning technology!