5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 2:24 PM by sshott

Assessing Creativity

I am had an interesting discussion with a few of the teachers online. They were discussing whether they think "creativity" should be assessed in some of their PB units. One of the teachers didn't think creativity should be assessed at all because it wasn't fair to the students who weren't creative. She felt it was more of an innate quality that you had or didn't have. Another teacher felt it was important and would put it in the checklist to bring it to their attention and maybe the student would focus on it but he wouldn't grade the student on how creative he/she was.

What do the teachers think that you work with as you look at grading PBL?

• Re: Assessing Creativity
          dgoodman_1958

JoAnn,

This is a good discussion topic and one that I think is increasingly important in today's world where creative thinking is very much needed to compete globally.   Many employers today value those who can "think outside the box".  I personally think, if we provide the appropriate support and scaffolding our students need to take ownership in their learning, we can promote and assess creativitiy.  When students demonstrate understanding and learning in new and different ways, this is creativity.

I cam across an interesting blog post on this topic;

http://jeffpresents.wordpress.com/2009/07/13/assessing-creativity/

Thanks for sharing the blog. I was at a NY state technology conference last week and Sir Ken Robinson spoke and he often talks about people finding their talents and providing an atmosphere to allow that to happen. I don't see things changing too quickly to allow that to happen in our schools. We have become more rigid in NY state. So many districts are buying prepackaged reading and math programs where it is totally prescribed and they want every teacher at the same page at the same time.

My daughter is a sophmore at a state university in New York and we were talking about technology and the types of assignments that prof give to the students and how they deliver information and most of her classes are lecture type with the prof using a powerpoint to share info with the students and most of her classes are not more than 30 students. She also told me that this semester 4 out of 5 of her prof do not allow laptops in their classroom.  I was shocked. We are trying to get 1:1 technology for our students in K-12 and then when they go to college they won't let them bring them to the class. I spoke with 2 other college friends and they all say they don't bring their laptops to class most of the time. The laptops are considered a distraction. They aren't looking at their teaching to make it more engaging but rather take the laptops away because it is a distraction. How frustrating!!!

MrsSmoke

My spin on the idea is "Why not?" and "Don't we do it anyway in writing?".  As a language arts teacher, it's part of my responsibility to push student creativity through their communication skills.  Yes, we want (and assess) student writing for voice and ideas.  Poetry, art, dramatic interpretation is all part of what we've been doing in English class forever, and it's what makes grading their products worth it.  So I say, definitely assess the creativity!

I agree with you Dyane but I am surprised at the reluctance of teachers to really say that they assess creativity. It seem to be one of those fluff things that is good and nice but not something that can be expected. I think we need to push the issue more to make students feel comfortable to be creative and take chances. They are talking about including more formative assessment in grading in NY state and I really hope they come up with a better solution that just one test at one point during the year.

sshott

This is an interesting conversation! You might want to share the  assessing projects resource - there are about 25 different checklists and rubrics that can be used to assess creativity - and when you actually look at them, they may lessen the worry of totally assessing "creativity" -  and give some really good ideas of other types of assessment.