4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 7:39 AM by enta_omary1@yahoo.com

21st Century Tools and Plagiarism

cloesing

I have recently noticed several new articles on the problem of plagiarism in education.  This is a topic that pops up regularly as teachers adopt more technology tools in their instruction.  I think the teachers suddenly realize just how easy it is for students to copy and paste.  Of course we teach them to "use their own words' and preach the consequences of plagiarism.  We even offer cautionary tales about the consequences other students have faced.  I know that many schools have adopted tools to help identify, and so, discourage plagiarism in written assignments.

As I read, I considered what I might do, in my classroom, to help students build their skills in avoiding plagiarism.  One idea I have gleaned came from Mike Eisenberg.  He suggests requiring an annotated bibliography in which students not only list their sources, but tell what information was used from each source and how it was used.  I think that will help students think through the information they have gathered and put it into their own words.  Another idea, this one from Jamie McKenzie, is to stop asking students to just "tell about" topics.  Instead we should ask them questions of import.  In his example, the "famous explorer" report might become, "Who was the better navigator?"  (I can see a connection to the Visual Ranking Tool with McKenzie's idea!)  How do you handle this in your classroom?  How do you help students recognize, and avoid plagiarism?

• Re: 21st Century Tools and Plagiarism
          mcsweej

This is something I struggle with. In the AP classroom, I am very strict about plagiarism because these students will soon be in colleges. With my middle school students who are just learning to researc, I am a little looser My main focus with them is summarizing and citing, even if for the bulk of them it means cutting and pasting a web address. Tools like citationmachine and bibme make the issue of citing a lot easier, and as far as policing, I find it very easy to google search suspicious sentences and have usually been able to catch students in the process.

staceylazarus

Citebite is a website that gives you a URL to your resource, with the selected area where you are using the information highlighted. Here is a link to this thread and where I highlighted information. Love the idea of annotated bib.

Plagiarism is using others’ ideas and words without clearly acknowledging the source of that information.

To avoid plagiarism, you must give credit whenever you use

another person’s idea, opinion, or theory;

any facts, statistics, graphs, drawings—any pieces of information—that are not common knowledge;

quotations of another person’s actual spoken or written words; or

paraphrase of another person’s spoken or written words.

These guidelines are taken from the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct.