3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2013 9:43 AM by glen_w

Science Standards

cloesing

NSTA reported this morning that Rhode Island has become the first state to adopt the Next Generation Science Standards.  EdWeek (May 28, 2013) lead off with an article reporting on the many teachers who are working to replace old lessons and instrucitonal styles with those recommended by the new standards.  How is your state/district/school responding to the new standards?  Our teachers are looking closely at the new standards and are basing new lessons on these new standards.  I think that the Project-Based Approaches course will be very helpful to teachers who are looking to revise their instructional practices.

• Re: Science Standards
          glen_w

Cathie,

Utah has reviewed the Next Generation Science Standards. Our current Science core is over 12 years old. We are considering how to revise our courses to include these standards. How do you see Project-Based Approaches helping teachers with the STEM aspects of Next Gen Science?

cloesing

Hi Glen,

There is such a big focus on inquiry in the new science standards!  I think that makes for a perfect match between the PBA course and designing new units to meet the Next Gen. standards.  I would love to take a whole cohort of teachers through the course using it as a framwork to develop new units to share.

glen_w

Cathy,

I agree on the inquiry focus. I was very pleased to read the original "benchmarks" and drafts of these standards. Each time, the concept of inquiry was very evident. Also noticeable is a focus on "Science Process." I like this concept much better than teaching a "scientific method." My experience with scientific method has been that students and teachers become locked into "this is the ONLY way to do science." Next Gen. Science standards appear to solve this problem by discussing science process in a way that seems to allow for the modifications typically done by scientists. As you look at using the PBA course in developing new units, what do you hope teachers will accomplish first?