8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2013 6:20 AM by cloesing

“High Tech Treasure Hunts with Kids and Geocaching with Kids”

NaomiHarm

This month our topic of discussion is “High Tech Treasure Hunts with Kids and Geocaching with Kids”

geocache_t614.jpg

“High Tech Treasure Hunts & Geocaching" | Spreaker - Be Heard

What child doesn't love a game of hide-and-seek? How about a high-tech version in which members of a global treasure-hunting community hide small treasures the child can seek out using a smartphone?

That's what geocaching is all about: It's a free, real-world game in which players use a GPS-enabled mobile device to navigate to a specific location — maybe even the local park — to find a hidden container, or "geocache," that another player placed. The geocache contains a logbook to sign and very often a real treasure, perhaps a small trinket or toy. You can take the item with you as long as you replace it with another item of the same or greater value.

There are more than 5 million players (or geocachers) worldwide, and many kids are getting in the game (with adult assistance). The high-tech scavenger hunt itself is enticing enough, but they get to trade small treasures to boot.

Websites and resources shared during tonight's radio broadcast:

http://www.Geocaching.com, to locate, research, and log finds.

Geocaching Help Guides

http://www.geocaching.com/guide/

*Where do you go on your best geocach high tech treasure hunts? What have you found that has been most interesting for you, your children or your students?

• Re: “High Tech Treasure Hunts with Kids and Geocaching with Kids”
          holmesg

Listening to the "High Tech Treasure Hunts" digital buzz  show inspired me to dust off my GPS devices and head out for a day of geocaching with my 3 year grand-baby and a gift of her choosing to leave behind. What a wonderful opportunity for both of us to get in some much needed exercise and problem solving at the same time.  So I went to geocaching.com and discovered that there was a cache placed in the near by park; just a short walk away from my home.  I started by giving Harmony the GPS device and explained the process (baby terms) as we began our walk.  We observed the different leaves, birds, dogs and flowers as I guided her as we watched the arrow move closer and closer to the cache.   Imagine her excitement when after coming to a huge rock in the park, she found the cache complete with stuffed animals, balls and noise makers.  We had an interesting conversation on why she could only take one item and replace it with hers. After she finally made her decision to take Dora from the container and leave her Luther long-neck (giraffe), we set down to drinks and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  Thank you Naomi for the topic and making this learning opportunity a reality!  One for the memory book!

For those of you new to geocaching or who have  placed your devices on the shelf, I challenge you to visit a cache near (http://www.geocaching.com/) you and make your own memories . . . don't forget to return to this post and share your experiences!

Rubina Jahangir

Seven tips for geocaching with kids:

• Engage kids in every step, from learning to use the GPS, to selecting and finding caches.
            • Bring water, bug repellent, and hats on cache hunts.
            • Let kids find the cache after arriving at the coordinates.
            • Educate kids on the “take one, leave one” ethic of cache treasures.
            • Pack out your own trash, or better yet, show the kids a great example by packing out other trash you may find along the way.
            • Bring a camera and notepad and pen (to write down numbers of trackable items).
            • Integrate science, history, geography, or geology lessons.

I have had huge success with children aged 10/11 years using Geocaching!  They are involved in so many different skills without even realising it!  We start with just looking at maps and finding the geocache location on an OS map.  We consider distance 'as the crow flies' and real distance to be covered, then think about how long it will take to get to the spot.

Then off we go, after having considered the safety aspects of the route we are to take.  Only having 6 GPS devices mean that children have to share the responsibility of navigation, but also have to be able to pass information to the next navigator.

When we get back to base we consider how to make a response on the website... what can we say without giving clues away, or personal information about ourselves, including photos.

Several of the schools I support now have their own caches adjacent to the school grounds and they can track where geocachers come from worldwide... which gets them very excited!

Somewhere in a morning's activity we have covered Maths (time, distance, estimation), Geography (reading and measuring from maps, compass work, where in the world) PSHE (safety, healthy living), P.E. (outdoor and adventurous activity), e-safety (response to cache owner) - oh and just for good measure... ICT!!

A great value activity which kids just love to the extent that some of them get their parents to sign up to geocaching.com and geocaching becomes a family activity!

This is a great idea to pursue over the summer.

mcsweej

I had a project with sort of  a reverse Geo Caching a few years ago collaborating with the Science teacher on my middle school team (I teach Social Studies). We basically mapped the school and had the students plot the coordinates to create outdoor learning environments around our campus. They had a blast with it and got to use a variety of technology including google earth, GPS and presentation tools (the end result was pitching their ideas to the administration). We even ended up getting a school garden out of it.

cloesing

I am so intrigued with geo-caching.  I would love to hear how teachers are incorporating this activity into classroom learning and are tying it to standards!