74 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2013 8:02 PM by glen_w

New Members, Start Here! (July-September 2013)

Bonnie Feather

bunnyatwork_small+(1).jpgWelcome to all new members! "New" simply means that you have not yet introduced yourself!

I check in each day to see how many new members have joined the community around the world. It's quite exciting! Did you know we have members in Peru, Albania, and the Czech Republic? Intel Education programs are expanding worldwide and improving education in many countries.

Please introduce yourself here and tell us a bit about your education duties. Many people will be starting a new term soon...please tell us what would make your job easier- especially as it pertains to using Project-Based Learning in your situation. Or, tell us what new practice you will be trying out in the next term!

Did you notice the "Bunny Person" image? Any time you see that image at the beginning of a discussion, it means that the discussion is incentivized. There will be a great prize drawn at the end of June from the names of all who introduce themselves in this discussion!

To read new member discussions from our community's past, click here to visit the archives.

Welcome! Please don't hesitate to contact me any time you have questions regarding the Engage Community!

~Bonnie Feather

Moderator, one of many here to help you!

• Re: New Members, Start Here! (July-September 2013)
          Rubina Jahangir

Hi Everybody

I m Rubina Jahangir from Pakistan,working as a senior Trainer of Intel Education Initiative. I connected with Intel since 2003. I have joined this community in July 2007.

Hi everyone!

I am a 6th grade eMINTS teacher from Lebanon MO going through Intel training for the first time....so excited!  I hope to be able to use this training to engage my students. My job would be easier if schools were up for the challenge of teaching kids the appropriate way to use technology instead of limiting their access.

I am Margaret Henson, I am an eMINTS instructor from Lebanon, Missouri, USA.  I enjoy using technology in my classroom.  I enjoy learning about technology that is new to me.  I am looking forward to using Intel materials next year.  I am taking the Thinking with Technology in July, 2013.

My name is Melissa Goans and I am a 6th grade eMINTS Math instructor from Lebanon, Missouri, United States.  I am participating in TWT class and am excited to implement some new material into Common Core next year.   

Hello,

I am Ashley Sutherland, and I am excited to be joining the Intel community.  I am a 6th grade eMINTS, English Language Arts, and Social Studies teacher.  I am planning on using these resources in my classroom this year. 

I am Sherri Robinson from Lebanon, Mo (USA). I teach 6th grade math. This year I am excited to be teaching math using my eMINTS training and now my intel training. I need great sites that my students can interact with, share their ideas, and assist one another with their math learinging. Wanting students to understand why math is important and how it is used in their lives. I am open to all ideas! Today is my first day of training for intel!

Bonnie Feather

Thank you all for introducing yourselves! If you are looking for a specific topic, please don't hesitate to send me a direct message within the community!

~Bonnie

I was so blessed upon joining this community because i know this could help me become an effective and competent teacher.My grade 4 class consist of 62 pupils who are slow learners yet I used varied means to keep them on track upon facilitating the lessons.I hope you won't mind sending me some methods and strategies or resources for  English,Mathematics, and Science which I could also use and shared with my co-teachers.Thank you very much and God bless...

I'm Beth Ellen Nash, Curriculum Director for Wings to Soar Online Academy. I'm launching our Imagine Mars summer enrichment project Monday with the free Imagine Mars unit at www.learning.com as the core of our unit. I got introduced to this Intel Education site in my Creating Personalized Learning Environments with Mobile Technology course I took a couple weeks ago. I'm taking a 2 day Project-Based Learning grad course and another 2 day Technology Tools for the 21st Century course the end of July. I'm going to need to mostly go with what I've got until after that for this summer's project. I've listened to 2 of the overview of Intel resources webinars so far and look forward to several others, including Project-Based Learning.

Can you take the mini-courses at any time? Are they every offered for credit?

Once I launch Imagine Mars, I have to switch to creating a multi-level Life Science course since that will have an ad launching August 5. After that, I can begin planning my Integrated US History, Geography, Government, Literature, Communications, and Computer Skills and Applications course to launch September 3. I'd like to have the kids work on a year-long project creating a multimedia replacement for a textbook.

AnnemiekeA

My name is Annemieke Akkermans. As a Dutch national, I have lived and worked in the UK and Germany for over 15 years now. I have been a class teacher at an international state school in Berlin since 2005. I teach English and IPC in lower primary (mixed grades 1/2), wrote the Digital Skills curriculum for the primary and secondary school and teach Digital Skills in grade 7. For three years I worked for Online Educa Berlin and eLearning Africa, sharing e-learning experiences across the globe. During this time it became clear to me that many countries are much more IT-friendly and that the implementation of technology in German classrooms is a slow process due to the federal nature of Germany and what seems to be fear of the unknown... Internet Safety is such a great concern that a great deal of school administrators prefer to ban mobiles, block the Internet and limit the inclusion of ICT to an absolute minimum, rather than looking for ways to meaningfully integrate ICT into the curriculum or introducing professional development opportunities for the staff. Last year we finally managed to organize a dedicated IT study day at our school, which was a very positive and powerful event, if only for one day.... I offered several internal workshops for colleagues, on Internet Safety and Digital Resources for the Classroom. I am really looking forward to working with the Intel Teach Elements, and to share these with others, and am only now starting to browse through the information and resources . It feels a bit like Christmas came early :-) - and this is the feeling I'd like to convey to my German colleagues. There is a long way to go and I appreciate all the support! 

Hi! I'm Jemmar Espinosa from Dagupan City National High School, Dagupan City, Philippines. I'm teaching Special Program in the Arts major in Creative Writing-Filipino and Filipino grade 7. I'm super new here so it would be a delight for me if you could teach me what to do. I am one of the participant in the Intel Teach Elements Facilitated Online Training 2013 in support with DepED K-12 Curriculum.

Any advice will be great! You are blessed

Hello,

My name is Maurissa. I have taught in San Jose, California in the USA for 8 years. I teach in the public school system and for the last three years, I have taught at a charter school. I have primarily taught Language Arts to the middle school grades (6th - 8th), but I have also taught English Language Development (ELD) to kindergartners. I taught ELD in the computer lab this past year and I integrated technology such as EdModo and Google Docs into my curriculum. I also teach dance at my school, so I would love ideas on how to integrate technology into my dance classes. Lastly, I am also a Fellow this summer with Intel and I have been learning about all the amazing resources Intel offers educators that I can't wait to learn more about and take back to my school and school district.

Maurissa

I am interested in completing some classes (I've already started one- Designing Blended Learning) and getting verification thereof to satisfy PDU requirements for the state of Oregon. I can't seem to find any info on the Engage.Intel website re: this.  My questions are:  Is there a way to take these classes and receive some verification to submit with my credential renewal?  Are there classes that are free of charge or that have a minimal charge?

Thank you.

Hello, I am a pre-service teacher from the Philippines and I'm hoping I could use the resources on here as my review materials for the upcoming board exam in September. Thank you very much.

Hi!  I am Teresa Hogue, and I live in Rock Hill, SC.  My degree is in Elementary Education, but now I am teaching Middle School.  When people hear that, the usual response is bless you, but I enjoy it.  Currently I teach 7th grade English Language Arts.  I am just finishing up a course on Project Based Learning, where I learned about this site.  The thinking tools here are great, and I can't wait to explore and find other great resources.  At home, I have a fantastic husband and two great dogs.  I also have two grown children who are awesome.

Hi i,am new member, hope i can learn more about interesting teaching strategies and methods which I can apply and I can share with my colleagues specially now that we are following a new curriculum. Hope this will become a fruitful and informative one. Thanks and God bless 

Hi, I'm Imelda, a Calculus and Physics teacher. Hope to learn more on strategies that could help me in my Physics class for its my first year to handle it.

A pleasant day to you!

I am Melody, an ICT Teacher in Calamba City, Philippines.  I find your program quite so interesting that's why I did not hesitate to join in your community.  I am expecting that I will learn a lot of things about the latest technology from you....Various knowledge and strategies which I can apply to my teaching and share with my co-teachers especially nowadays that they are using multi-media as tools for instruction.  I hope this will become a success for all of us! God bless!

Hi im Rodrigo G. Liad Jr, a Public School Teacher from Labac Elementary School, Lipa City, 4217 Batangas Philippines,, ive been using intel pc parts icluding processors and mobos, indeed your hardware is quite AMAZING and DEPENDABLE, in relation to this Im pretty confident that I will learn how to utilize your useful programs including future developments to improve my teaching to the fullest...This is Intel Power...God Bless... More Power...

Hello!My name is Maryjean R. Cruzada,a grade 4 teacher in Salvacion Central Elementary                     School,Salvacion,Bayugan City,Phils..I believe that joining Teachers Engage will help a lot to improve to                  improve my teaching skills as well as my co-teachers since I will not hesitate to impart those learned skills to      them.Of course,a great advantage for our pupils part because we will not fail them as we continue our quest for      global innovations in learning.

More power and God bless..

Hello, Im Mr. Niven Gamayo fro Tarlac Philippines. I am a public school teacher hoping to improved more of my knowledge about using technology as a medium of my instruction inside my classroom. Please give me an info or a hint how to incorporate technology in my class without the disadvantages of it. thank you...I would like if no offense to provide me information or a document in order for me to be as my guide. I handle eclassroom in our school but due to lack of knowledge about computers and using it as a device to facilitate learning.

Hi,

I am Neetu Chacko , teaching Mathematics for the middle school.I am from India.I would like a few suggestions on Math projects that could be given for grades 8-9.

Hi everyone! I am Romel Agno, currently teaching at Bugtongnapulo National High School. I am handling Physics, Science 8 and Filipino subjects. I am glad that there's a site like this which is intended for educators and meant to facilitate overflowing ideas on how to transform our present kind of education to a lifelong and globally recognized one, trusted anywhere around the globe. Indeed, this site will be helpful to every teacher since there will be collaboration of works and sharing of knowledge about things related to teaching and learning. Likewise, I can feel that this is one of the ways to bridge ICT and classroom in a way that will ensure positive effects on students' performance. I am excited to learn more about this site and know further other people in this community.

How can i get a list of assessment tools using technology in a classroom.. please send me resources about this matter..thank you

Hello sir, I am Sunny De Ocampo from the Philippines. I am currently a teacher at Gen. Gregorio Del Pilar Elementary School in Dagupan City.

Good day to all!!!

I am Renan Bautista of JJDVSMNHS, Dagupan City...

I'm currently teaching Technology and Livelihood Education handling fourth year students.

I'm excited to gain knowledge from this endeavor which will greatly help my students.

I'm looking forward to collaborate with other educators around the globe to exchange ideas to help me improve my teaching skills.

hi g'day from the Philippines

harold_santillan1314

hi Good day, i am Harold F. Santillan, an elementary teacher in Tarlac Province (Philippines). I am a mathematics, science and english teacher.. hope that i will learn a lots on this online webinar session. please send me diffirent kinds of strategies, methods and techniques to improve my teaching. thank you very much

Hi goodday...I am Anton from Tarlac Province, Phillipines. I am glad to be part of this innovations! God bless and please send me more updates and keep me posted. Thanks again Bonnie!

Good day to everyone!

I'm Larry Bautista, currently teaching at Malued ES, Dagupan City. I'm so glad that through this teacher engage you will help a lot of teachers to hone their teaching skills and be imparted to their learners.

Great day everyone!

I'm Annie Michelle Laurzano from Tarlac Province., I'm excited in learning various ways of assessing students in order to help in bringing out the best in them. I am so thankful for being chosen as one of the participants of this trending innovation from Intel. I just don't know if I'm already part of the group because until now my request for membership is pending approval since last saturday, Aug. 3, 2013. I don't know what seems to be the problem. I hope and please update me with all the information and things  I have to do. Thanks a lot and Godspeed!

Hello everyone

This is Grace of Capas Gabaldon Elem. School from the Division of Tarlac Province. Being part of this first ever webinar is a privelege for me. I always look forward in earning new insights and trends in education. And precisely the end-user of this program will benefit our school children and may we as the participants be the vehicle of transfer of new knowledge to our fellow educators. Im new here and certainly still needing your guides to accomplish the task.. Please keep us posted. And happy working with all of you.. Mabuhay po kau.

Hi Intel WORLD!

I am Kevin Germino, a public school teacher in the Philippines. I am lucky to be part of the first batch of participants for the Intel Training in our Division, Nueva Ecija.

Hi, all!

I am a 3rd grade teacher in Denver, CO and am particularly passionate about mathematics education. I am a teacher leader from my classroom, in my school, and I teach professional development for my school and district.  I recently was accepted as a speaker at CCTM (Colorado Council of Teachers of Mathematics) and am hoping to be accepted by NCTM soon!  Yay! 

I also have been working on a math resource website in case anyone wants to use it!  CCSS, PARCC assessments, high level math problems. . .

dpsmathteachersrock.weebly.com

• New Members, Start Here! (July-September 2013)

HEllo, I am Alma Panzo, a mathematics teacher in Siquijor, Philippines.

I am glad that I am given the oppurtunity to take this online course. I hope I will learn more in the online webinar sessions. I also hope you can send me resources to improve my mathematics teaching...thank you very much..

Hi, everyone!

It is my great pleasure to be part of this learning community. I am Feddilaine Apole-Ubas of Caraga Regional Science High School, Surigao City. I am a fourth year English teacher and am fortunate enough to be engaged with Intel for the first time. I am still a newbie in the teaching profession being here for just a matter of three years, not to mention the fact that I haven't started my post-graduate studies yet. Nevertheless, am very hopeful that my participation to this kind of undertaking would help me develop the better and more efficient teacher in me! Hoping as well that I'd find more mentors in you.

Hi Everyone!!! I am Kelly Hayes attending a Blended Learning Elements Course, a technique that I am going to incorporate into my student's learning THIS YEAR!!! I am a band teacher for grades 7 and 8 in a MS and I LOVE the age group, however they are NOT going to love doing blended learning and core curriculum with me because it isn't our traditional way of 'doing band'.  They voiced it last year!!! Nevertheless, I am looking forward to teaching in new ways in the year to come!!

Hi everybody,

I am currently enrolled in a "Blended Learning" course on Long Island, New York.  The course is centered on learning the mechanics of essentially "flipping" the classroom using various forms of multimodal instruction.  I am currently a middle school English teacher and am curious to learn more about effective teaching methods in a 21st Century culture.  Please to meet all of you!

Estimated friends.

I’m Intel Educar Master Teacher in Peru, I usually work with
                                                                                        learning projects, and nowadays I’m working in a collaborative project “Preventing
                                                                                        bullyng in schools” using web2 like: Facebook and Wiki.

Greetings from Peru.

Elfriede Inga Huamán

Hi everybody.

I'm JIngle R. Bailo of Bayugan City CARAGA Region of the Philippines. I taught Grade VI MSEP, FILIPINO, and English. With this intel engage,I hope I could get more knowledge in integrating this subject using the modern day technology. Looking forward for more information. MABUHAY!!!!

I am also the ICT Coordinator of our School as well as in the District ICT Coordinator. In our school we have the eClassroom (1 main PC with 6 hub monitor, 1 Media board and LCD projector).  I trained less in using the eClassroom. My question now is how to teach my co-teacher in using the eClassroom when i myself is less knowledgable due to lack of training.

I am hoping that this community can help me with this problem. 

Looking forward for an immediate response.

jingle

Good day Maam,

I am Eliaquim O. Bisa of Naic, Cavite, Philippines. I am teaching Chemistry and Environmental Science at Cavite National Science High School. Our education leaders recommended that we teachers should join the Intel Teach Program as it will introduce us to the 21st Century way of delivering lessons and assessing our students. I am also excited at collaborating with other teachers around the world. I am positive, I will learn more and improve myself as a teacher. I will find a way despite problems with schedules and internet connectivity. Thank you for this opportunity. God bless us all.

Hi, My name is Leona Fontanilla From Fresno, California. I started teaching since 1997. I
                                                                                              have taught elementary and middle school before but I switched to Early
                                                                                              Childhood Education because I loved young children.

I have fun learning how young children emerged their talents and skills and how we as teacher could guide these little angels as they blossom in their new world. Currently I am doing my Master’s Degree in ECE. I am happy to be a member of Intel-Teacher’s Engage and excited to learn more about technology in teaching globally. I believed that
                                                                                              educators like us should be equipped with  integrated technology into teaching and
                                                                                              learning as technology was continuously evolving and improving. Most of our students
                                                                                              today are very tech savvy and some of them are way better than their teachers.
                                                                                              They were born into a generation that has been bombarded with technological
                                                                                              advancements unlike my generation. I was also bombarded with this existing
                                                                                              reality..I know I’m not alone but If we could work together then we will be the
                                                                                              best teacher in today’s generation.. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US.

i am arma romero cabuntocan of bayugan city agusan del sur and i am new from this community.

My name is Tiffany Gray.  I teach 6th-8th grade math and 6th grade science at Mansfield Middle School in Mansfield, Missouri.  In addition to being in year 3 (Intel) eMINTS training, I am also undergoing PD4ETS training to become an eMINTS Instructional Specialist.

I am also the mom of three amazing boys who keep my life busy but happy.

Prior to my current role as an eLearning Consultant, I was a Subject Co-ordinator for Art and Design having taught Art & Design across key stages 3 to 5. In 2004, I  was awarded a Learning, Teaching and Assessment Fellowship for my work developing Sheffield Hallam University's eLearning, Multimedia & Consultancy postgraduate programme. In 2007, I was awarded a Trust Diploma by the  Specialist Schools and Academies Trust for my research  into the use of new technologies to develop old techniques in art.

I have worked with a number of learning platforms and have produced a range of published audio-visual  resources for e-learning in both the secondary and post-compulsory markets and have now been delivering training on the use of ICT and learning platforms for over three years as part of the Civica eLearning team. In 2012, I was recognised  with Civica's Innovator of the Year award for my work on the CloudBase learning platform.

Hi everyone, my name is Nomusa Keninda in South Africa. I am responsible for training teachers in ICT. I conduct training at schools that have computer labs or if teachers have tablets and laptops of their own.I am also an Online Journalism student at Wits on part time basis. I needed to join you guys so we can share our experiences in the ICT world with educators and learners. Hope I am home where everyone feel free to share. Thanks and let us unite in the use of ICT in the classroom. Thanks.

Hello, all!  My name is MaryAnn Powell.  I've been an instructional technology facilitator in NC, USA for almost 14 years now.  Wow!  That makes me feel old!  But the best part of my job is that I have to keep learning by default to stay current with technology trends and how best to leverage them in the classroom.  That's what keeps me young at heart!  I currently work in a district where we have moved from a 1:1 program with take-home devices at the high school level only, to a 1:1 in core subject classes that stay in class sets at school.  We are currently serving high schools, but plan to expand this down to 3rd grade this year and next.  I have mixed feelings about not sending devices home, especially in an impoverished area like this.  Many students will not have devices at home to continue the learning there.  However, we were having a very expensive problem with accountability and repairs.  At least this way, the core teachers will have a set they can count on to work in class daily.  The teachers seem to love it.... the students, not so much.  I also feel for the non-core teachers who had worked so hard to develop technology integration into their subject areas and now they will have to wait their turn to have access to the few sets available for non-core teachers.  Anyway... the cost of living in a poor district in this economy.  There is only so much money and that will only buy so many devices.  But I digress....  I am proud mom to 3 grown daughters and step-mom to 2 grown sons.  In my "spare time" which I have none of, my husband and I are theatre geeks... which is why I have no spare time!  I can't!  I have rehearsal!  Glad to be here to continue to learn!

Hi, Im Dom Thompson. I Lecture in Business (Marketing) at Highbury College in Portsmouth. I have been teaching/lecturing for 5 years now and before that i worked in Events. I am responsible for the Level 3 BTEC National Diploma at highbury College - which is really good fun. I am currently taking part in some research using technology in the classroom... I have been given a Lenovo Tablet and so far have videod sessions, uploaded to Youtube and shared on the class facebook page/college VLE (MyCourse/Moodle). I am also working on recording student work and sharing on sky drive/evernote so they can access wherever/whenever! In my spare time I like to DJ/Produce music and climb/walk! Looking forward to whatever this venture brings....

Jeff.Greiner

Hello everyone.  My name is Jeff Greiner, and I am the new Manager of Educational Technology for the DC Public School system.  I come from Purdue University, where I worked for the past 10 years.  Prior to that, I was a Math and Science Teacher, a Director of Technology for a K-12 school district, and as a technology trainer for a corporation and for an Educational Service Center.

My duties in DC will be to get our new LMS (Blackboard Learn) up and running, train the district in it's use, and to incorporate the Intel material into it for our Professional Development area.

My name is Pam James.  I am an Instructional Technology trainer with the Guilford County School system in NC.  We are a new department working on a new plan for using instructional technology in our schools and teaching it to our staff. 

Allow me to introduce my self , my name is Junry H. Abajar, 20 yrs. old you can call me "jhun or jun-jun", I'm a second year student, taking up Bachelor of Secondary Education Major in Mapeh at  Notre Dame University.I'm one of the working scholar at the university. I believe in a saying that, "patience and hard work is the key to success".

Hi,

My name's Catherine.  I'm from Britain but I'm working in Turkey as an Educational Advisor for a interactive English site for children.  This is a very new program, so would be glad for any advise on how to make it exciting and engaging for students (7-18years).

Thanks

G.U.N. Academy is a Global Knowledge Sharing Platform.

Join us, earn with us, and learn with us!

G.U.N. Academy offers different opportunities for cooperation and different courses to provide you the necessary knowledge from various Mentors worldwide.

- A G.U.N. Academy Mentor. Create your own course and conduct it with our help. The course will be promoted to our audience and you will be able to attract your own students as well.
                                                                                                                    - A G.U.N. Academy Translator. You can choose one of the courses available on our site and translate it into your native language.
                                                                                                                    - A G.U.N. Academy Teacher. If you are authorized by your partner (a course owner) as a person to conduct courses created by this partner, you can join us as a teacher.

- A G.U.N. Academy Student.  You can choose one of our courses and enjoy the learning results in a rapidly growing global community.

mdconley57

Thanks to all who participated, and once again, welcome to the community!

The winning of this month's drawing is sarahwebb77! I'll reach out to you via community message about your prize.

For all of you, the new, "New Member" thread is up for the last three months of the year. Stop by here and give new folks a warm welcom: http://engage.intel.com/message/119424#119424