6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2013 6:16 PM by mcsweej

Teaching and Learning Online - The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly?

mdconley57

Edublogger Ronnie Burt has some interesting ideas to share in this post titled "Why today is my last day teaching online..." Here is his summary of the post:

• The measures of success are often wrong – learning experiences are far more important than a checklist of standards and objectives
      • Relationships, connections, and networking are minimized in the rushed online world
      • Differentiation and personalized learning is lost in the pre-created curricula and assembly line experience of most distance courses and MOOCs
      • Motivation and engagement suffer through isolation – we’re seriously becoming ok with virtual science labs!?
      • The subject matter (and the learners’ needs) should drive instructional strategies, not technology

If those ideas intrigue you, read the post and tell us what you think. Engage with your fellow community members around any or all of the ideas below:

• Have you taught online? Taken an online course? Was your experience similar to Burt's?
      • If you teach online, what do you do to mitigate the issues Burt identifies?
      • What are some positives to online learning that Burt fails to mention?
      • How would you describe a perfect online learning environment?
        • Re: Teaching and Learning Online - The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly?

Subject matter and the learners need should drive instructional strategies, that is correct. But instruction without a device use or a media or channel to display ideas would be insufficient for the teaching learning process. Technology works as a catalyst in every discussion providing with proper usage. Allowing this devices to mingle with your strategies and instruction will make us more efficient in teaching.

Online teaching can be a perfect tool if it brings collaboration among peers creating new instruction and as well as output during discussion. Talking with people at different cultural background will initiate learning globally competitive.

holmesg

I have taken courses online and taught online courses as well.  Good teaching is good teaching no matter whether it is online or face to face.  A pre-created course is no different from a pre created lesson, the teacher has the opportunity to input his or her personality through videos, podcasts, webinars and other synchronous and asynchronous tools to engage learners.  Participants new to online learning need to be identified through a survey at the beginning of the course and given additional support through the process to build their comfort.  This can be done through skype contacts, face time and other forms of synchronous communications.  The most important positive factor to online learning is it empowers the participants to move beyond surface learning, to dig deeper and create documentation to demonstrate mastery learning.  A perfect vision of online learning will have goals and objectives posted with each module/lesson with engaging videos to connect the lesson to the standards and provide questions to consider as they proceed through activities.  Screencasts should be used to share instructions for completing and connecting to resources.  Discussions, webinars, skype, and other tools should be used for collaborating and connecting with learner thought.  Facilitators should post announcements daily and identify one or more participants by name to create a more personalized environment. A new module should be introduced with an overview and ended with a summation making connections to lessons learned and singling out ideas, strategies and resources shared by participants.

erroth

I have had some great online-learning experiences. As a matter of fact, I learn online almost every day through internet research and youtube subscriptions such as vSauce, Numberphile, 1Veritas, and Sci Show. And, I use many of these resources to teach my fourth graders. Having said all that, I would never replace in-person teaching with virtual teaching because there is so much more to the classroom and to the learning environment than just the content. I see the classroom environment as 3-dimensional and the online environment 2-dimensional.

dougemints

There are many things to consider when facilitating an online course.  Online learners have different needs that traditional, f2f learners.

I have facilitated an online course in the past and I learned a lot of great things from actually taking a course from eLearningmo.org to help me prepare for communicating and collaborating with online students.

Here is an example of one of their classes offered for people wanting to learn more about teaching online.

http://www.elearningmo.org/products-page/catalog/effective-instruction-for-virtual-school-students-all/

erroth

The intel online courses are great learning experiences. Pencasts can be valuable online learning resources. The list goes on. But such learning needs to be coupled with classroom experiences and interactions. Online learning should be one part of the complete package.

As college rates continue to escalate, higher education may be accessible (affordable and with flexible enough hours) only online to many students. It is imperative that higher education online courses be of the highest quality.