2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2009 11:01 AM by glen_w

Grading students in a 2.0 world

I found this article on student assessment interesting - especially the comments by all the folks at the end...and I thought some of you might be interested in the discourse as well

Grading 2.0: Evaluation in the Digital Age - FionaB, Hastac.org

via Educational Technology by Ray on 11/22/09

As the educational and cultural climate changes in response to new technologies for creating and sharing information, educators have begun to ask if the current framework for assessing student work, standardized testing, and grading is incompatible with the way these students should be learning and the skills they need to acquire to compete in the information age. Many would agree that its time…

http://www.hastac.org/forums/hastac-scholars-discussions/grading-20-evaluation-digital-age

• Re: Grading students in a 2.0 world

Great article Paige, I agree that the comments afterwards were very interesting. There is a lot of discussion in NY regarding different types of assessments for students and for teacher certification. Time is a big issue when you talk about assessment. In NY teacher candidates were required to submit a video. There was a lot of discussion about whether anyone looked at the video.

When you are considering using Web 2.0 tools what obligation do students have to post things on the internet and what can you really require that students do or create to be posted in that public venue. I hadn't really thought about FERPA regulations. In the course that I teach at the University level we use Blackboard but I also require them to have a blog that is public. No one has objected but interesting points were made.

• Re: Grading students in a 2.0 world
            glen_w

I enjoyed the read ... and I agreed with many of the article's points. I, however, am very concerned about implementation in my own classroom. This year is an anomaly for me. I have an extra assignment that keeps me from being with students for one period. I ONLY teach 225 students this year. Last year I had 250 students. Implementation of individualized comments (written or verbal) could be challenging to say the least! Imagine me taking only 60 seconds to review individual assignments and comment on them ... that would take me about 4 hours per assignment. I do not have that amount of time unless I'm willing to give up something else - perhaps sleeping?

I welcome ideas on how I might be able to adapt the concept and make it work for me.