1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 20, 2009 10:36 AM by glen_w

How have you used wikis to increase student accountability for group projects?

A new idea (at least for me) is to use wikis to increase accountability for student projects.  "Utter the words “group project” and you’re likely to hear at least a few groans from your students. The reasons for their dislike of group work are many, but logistical difficulties of getting everyone together and lazy group members who don’t pull their own weight are two of the biggest complaints.  With wikis, you’re able to remove these two obstacles because wiki sites not only make collaboration a breeze, but they contain tracking tools that let instructors see who’s contributing to the project, and when they’re making their contributions."   Read more about this topic at http://www.magnetmail.net/actions/email_web_version.cfm?recipient_id=187176342&message_id=880994&user_id=MAGNA_FF&group_id=265312.  I'm interested to hear what others have done to use wikis to increase student accountability for group projects.  Has anyone actually included wiki tracking tools as part of their assessment?  Thanks!

• Re: How have you used wikis to increase student accountability for group projects?
          glen_w

Vikki,

Because of the blocking in my district, I've been unable to use Wikis. (Ok - I did last year in a "pilot project.") The project last year was having students collaborate with a school in Alabama. Students in both states learned the same material and used a wiki to share learning. They edited each other's posts and I was surprised to see 7th grade students edit spelling and grammar!

I hope to use a wiki this year (pilot still to be approved) to have students complete an online "study guide". I plan to outline the wiki study guide with requirements from our state core. Students will fill in examples and descriptions of what these requirements look like in life. I would like to make student participation worth 5-10% of an examination of that material. The ability to review student work and edits would make this fairly simple to accomplish (IMHO).