13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2013 8:36 PM by glen_w

Make animated gifs look like time lapse photography: Taming and Training The Technophobe

staceylazarus

Last month, Glen Westbroek mentioned using Time Lapse Photography in classes. This is a wonderful way to show students a long series of events in a short time period. Many of us do not have the set up to take time lapse pictures, so the Taming and Training of the Technophobe is going to take a slight detour this month and help those that do not have the equipment accomplish the same feat. So I guess this monthly issue isn’t about technophobes, but about our other mission of finding alternative ways to integrate technology into the classroom, from the easy to the complex. Hmm, maybe next year I will change the title of this series to something like Putting Technology Into Use, from the easy to hard…. Please give me some suggestions! I may know technology, but titles escape me!

First, here are all my current websites dealing with anything animation. How did time lapse photography turn into animation? That is how anyone can produce what Glen was referring to with only a camera and a computer. We have all seen those cute cartoon figures move across our screen and keep repeating what they do. There are many free programs that permit you to upload a series of pictures and then create such movement.

I have used makeagif and picasion, and like them both. It is good to have a Plan B, and in this case the easier to upload pictures feature in makeagif didn’t help, because the processing to the animation took too long. The more time consuming uploading of individual pictures into picasion worked for me because the conversion to the final product took seconds. Try them both. WORD OF CAUTION: Some of these sites have ads that may not be appropriate for young students.

So how does one really do this? Think first of what takes place over a period of time, and then plan when you will take pictures of the process.

I love to build puzzles, so I took ten pictures of the process and click here to see the result. (It is also embedded below) You can see towards the end of taking the pictures I had placed a block incorrectly and then changed it. Can you use this as part of the learning process? Inserting a "mistake"?

Some other thoughts I have are:

Take pictures of the moon every third day for a month to show the changes.

Take pictures of trees/flowers blooming. Foliage season in the Northeast during Autumn!

Solving for X in a math equation.

Making a sandwich.

When you are taking your pictures, experiment with how much time lapses between shots. You may have to alter the timing for the animation to look right. Once pictures are taken, upload to the program you selected, and follow the simple instructions! Done!

What do you think of using animated gifs instead of time lapse photography? What projects can you do using this method? Post your example here and share with others!

www.picasion.com
      www.picasion.com