3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2013 7:35 AM by erroth

The Difference Between Learners and Students

SyedaKhadija

Students hopefully learn, but the word "student" connotes compliance and external form more than anything intrinsic or enduring. To move from students to learners, there can be dozens of ways, but somewhere on that list is using technology, and project-based learning, that can help to truly turn a school inside-out. An interesting read, do visit the link. http://www.edutopia.org/blog/difference-between-learners-and-students-terry-heick What other ideas we can explore that could be helpful.

• Re: The Difference Between Learners and Students

Khadija,

I read the article and agree. The kids in our classes are students, but a big part of our job is to see that they all are learners as well. The section about grades rang very true. Project-based learning was mentioned several times as important. I wrote in a post just before this one about a Texas official who, in arguing for discontinuing the C Scope curriculum taught in many high schools in Texas, claimed that PBL is ineffective, especially when compared with traditional teaching. It does make it more difficult to "turn a school inside-out" when some public officials stand in the way.

SyedaKhadija

Hi Eric, You are absolutely right, such rigid beliefs / arguments from public sector officials make it all the more difficult. Of course one of the reasons people like us keep looking for more and more arguments in support of our views. The following read is also very interesting, the pdf' helped me gather lot of stuff that I can use, do have a look. http://www.usciences.edu/teaching/Learner-Centered/ thanks

There is a lot of great info and resources at the site. One point that should be noted is that not all teaching need be nor should be learner-centered. On the other hand, I think far too much teaching is teacher-centered, especially at the middle and high school levels. As students progress through the grades they tend to become less and less interested in school. I think one of the big problems is that the student is taken out of the equation. Teaching becomes more and more teacher-centered and content/test-centered. The algebra and the end-of-course test become more important than the student. A significant percentage of students find the work meaningless, confusing, and defeating.