Happy International Dot Day! What is Dot Day you ask? International Dot Day is a global celebration of creativity, courage and collaboration which began when teacher Terry Shay introduced his classroom to Peter H. Reynolds’ book The Dot on September 15, 2009.
The Dot is the story of a compassionate teacher who encourages a hesitant student to trust in herself by “making her mark”. A small dot on a sheet of paper becomes a step forward for a student in confidence, inspiring self-discovery and sharing, which continues to encourage people around the globe.
Each year on International Dot Day (September 15, 2013) the inspiration continues. What begins as a story of an student is transforming teaching and learning as readers re-discover the power creativity.
Note: The book THE DOT was written and illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds and published by Candlewick Press (USA) You can celebrate the book on International Dot Day and year round. Sign up for a free educators guide here.
The author of this book reminds us of the powerful influence of teachers. All it takes is one adult to change a child’s life. Watch the video version of The Dot before you complete the activity below.
We would love to see your creativity in our community so here is the task to get in touch with your inner Vashti:
- Illustrate your mark using any graphics painting program (MS Paint, TuxPaint, Paint.net or an app like Art App) and save as an image.
- Share the image in a reply to this post and include the software/App you used to create your artwork.
- In your post also share the story of a reluctant learner who lacked self-confidence. Also include how you motivate and encourage children to believe in their abilities so we can be inspired by YOU.
- Be sure to return to the thread to read and reply to our inspirational stories.
Participate in our game between September 9, 2013 and October 29, 2013 (by posting your dot and sharing your inspiration) to be entered into a drawing of a $175.00 Amazon gift card that you might want to use towards the purchase of Peter Reynolds Creatrilogy Box Set (Dot, Ish, Sky Color) which provides you with a beautiful boxed set, of his trio of hardcover titles:
1. The Dot -An enchanting invitation to self-expression! Don’t worry, just make a mark — and see where it takes you.
2. Ish -A creative spirit learns that thinking "ishly" leads to a far more wonderful outcome than "getting it right."
3. Sky Color -The sky’s no limit in this gentle, playful tale — a reminder that if we open our eyes and look beyond the expected, inspiration will come.
Note: This drawing will only become active when a minimum of 10 participants respond, which means in some cases, the drawing will take place after the above mentioned date. For a complete description and eligibility of Engage community drawings, click on the Intel Bunny Person.