26 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2015 12:02 PM by DrJavedAkhtar

Recognizing Great Teachers

glen_w

My local newspaper today contained an article about an award being given on Tuesday January 5, 2010. Utah's Governor began this award in 1997. I was notified several months ago that I had been nominated and they needed more information from me. I was recently notified that I was going to receive the award. When I read today's article, I had a glimpse of how prestigious this award is. Apparently the other award recipients are all leaders in the fields of Science and Technology.

This made me wonder what teachers, principals, and others can do to recognize the work of great teachers. Are you aware of any similar awards in your areas? Please nominate a deserving teacher and perhaps together we can improve the acceptance of teaching as an honored profession.

• Re: Recognizing Great Teachers
          Bowerman@cox.net

Congratulations, Glen! This is a wonderful honor and well deserved. It's exciting to see your contributions recognized and celebrated. You are a great role model for your colleagues!

julesfischy

Glen - Congrats!!! This is wonderful!

Every year in AZ there is a technology conference and different educators are nominated for different awards- they are then honored at the conference in March.  In addition - as part of the Fiesta Bowl a number of teachers were recoginzed for their commitment towards education- and the teacher of the year has a great prize package.

I agree that it is important to get the word out and for teachers to nominate each other.

glen_w

Julia,

We also have a technology conference where educators are nominated for awards. There is an award given to a district technology leader and one given to a "technology teacher." Almost every year, the teacher award was given to a teacher who only teaches technology classes. I hope in future years to see other subject area teachers recognized for their abilities to use and teach with technology.

aelmer

Glen, Congratulations! 

What a prestigious honour - the state of Utah (and all of us) are lucky to benefit from your inspiring efforts. I know you have quite a collection of accomplishments (Presidential Award for Excellence in Math and Science Teaching, District Teacher of the Year...) - as well as the impact you have on students...

Thanks for sharing, hope everyone else in our community follows your lead and shares their accomplishments here.

This is awesome Glen! I do agree that in our profession we should do more to recognize as well as emphasize the efforts of phenomenal educators. In Louisiana, principals, teachers, and students are recognized each year on the district and state levels.

glen_w

Stephanie,

I'm excited to learn that LA is forward thinking in recognizing excellence in Education. What a great state where principals, teachers, and students are all recognized for their educational successes. No wonder LA is my adopted "second home" state .

aelmer

Did you all see Arne Duncan's "Elevating the Teaching Profession" article just before the holidays?

"Our guiding principle is simply that teachers should be treated as professionals: they should have the support, tools, and opportunities to perform at their full potential by having timely and accurate data about their students to inform instruction; they should time to consult and collaborate with their peers; and they should be evaluated, compensated, and advanced based in part on student learning."

glen_w

Thanks to all who have given me the kind remarks about this award. It was quite interesting to get an award that is normally given to Research Scientists, and Private Business. Previous recipients have been Nobel Prize winners and it so I was honored to be included in this community. I've included a picture of the award for everyone to share the excitement with me.

Medal2.png

Thanks Alison for the great suggestion that we all read Arne Duncan's comments about elevating the Teaching Profession. That's an area I'm working toward.

dgoodman_1958

Congratulations Glen!  This is much deserved!

In North Carolina outstanding principals, assistant principals, teachers and teacher assistants are nominated and recognized each year beginnning in their districts, moving to regional, then state and on to national.  We can also nominate teachers, media coordinators and technology facilitators at our state technology conference who have demonstrated outstanding leadership in their area.  The winners are acknowledged with a plaque during a special dinner at the conference.   

At our school, a staff member is awarded Awesome Adult for the week and given a special parking place up front.  We also recognize students and adults showing good character on our morning broadcast.  Students and staff can recognize those showing good character.  Their names are announced each morning and then they are given a certificate.  Although a small recognition, it is rewarding to see the faces of those being recognized.  I feel it builds community within our school and encourages good character. 

tlmaves

Glen, what you do for education is INSPIRING! Awards are just one way to recognize and bring to focus the great things educators do for their profession, and ultimately our children. Thank you for highlighting your accomplishment so we can celebrate with you as well as reflect on the impact of inspiring educators like you; our community is full of them!

Members of Teachers Engage community, that is really the purpose of this section. Participation in the Intel Teach Program is just one vehicle that promotes effective change towards a 21st century classroom.  And while it is only one program in the sea of many for which you participate, it is the one our Inspiring Educators contest is focusing on to highlight and celebrate your accomplishments. You all have a story to share...we all want to hear it, so please submit your story in our contest. Directions are to the The specified item was not found.. You can revise and resubmit up until the contest deadline.

Glen, thanks for starting a great conversation on an inspiring topic. Others are invited to do the same in this section regardless of entering our contest.

Wooohoooo!

Bonnie Feather

It makes perfect sense to me that you would be a recipient of this award!  You do so much to bring science and technology to students!

Keep up the good work!

Bonnie

sadiasyed

Glen,

Congratulations
                                Congratulations

and Congratulations
                                on a well deserved honor. Although I have not much interaction with you yet since joining this engage community I have been really inspired by of your enthusiasm, creativity, and dedication to your profession and your spirit to facilitate others.

Congratulations.  It is great to know the seeds you have planted along the way have harvested a fruitful supply. So often we are looked over but always expected to go above and beyond.  Your recognition proves that we do matter to those outside of the educational community.

Congratulations Glen!  Wonderful news.

erroth

Wow, Glen!

We have the standard Teacher of the Year awards and we have several Teacher Appreciation luncheons (which are great). To me, some of the best awards are the letters we recieve from appreciative parents and students, both current and past. It would be neat to see some of these kind words posted somewhere (perhaps anonymously) for others to see.

Congratulations glen_w, I came to know it late.

I highly appreciate your suggestion, it's our moral duty to nominate deserving candidates to show our gratitude towards them.