15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2010 9:23 PM by glen_w

Google, Word of the Decade

dgoodman_1958

It does not surprise me that Google has become the word of the decade.  Besides the Google search engine, I have used many of the google tools in both my personal life and professional life.  What Google applications have you used in your Intel trainings and how did that use impact your training?  What would you recommend to other trainers?    

• Re: Google, Word of the Decade
          NaomiHarm

Great question on Google Deborah!  During the Essentials training I use Google Forms to compliment the Assessing Projects portion.  I show and share with the educators how to create a Google Form, create probing questions that can add to our face to face time about getting to know our group better, and have them actually take the assessment through the live survey.  I then showcase how immediately the responses are collated into a Google speadsheet and how they can get an instant summary of results as a PDF.  They always- ohhh and ahhh and each of them has just made a few instant connections with their units of study. Using Forms in Google Docs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzgaUOW6GIs&feature=channel and an additional link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzgaUOW6GIs&feature=player_embedded

I also use the Google docs to demonstrate the creation process of CFQ's.  Please note- there is a great example on the included resource CD that comes with the Essentials book.  Google Docs in Plain English: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRqUE6IHTEA&feature=channel

Now- I would like to include Google Wave into my next training to share the collaborative aspect of using it as a social network to communicate in a group as a group reflective assignment or blended learning opportunity with educators.  A fun additional resource we tapped into was Google Voice at the end of the training.  You need to have an invite to activate this application.  I now receive all my voicemails as an audio file and a text file so I can read my voicemail like email instead of calling it in and retreiving it.  There are more additions to this free service- check it out- you' love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Q9MJdT5Ds&feature=channel

Good luck with integrating Google Tools in your Intel training! Here is an overview of Google Apps and Google Labs for more benefits: http://www.googlelabs.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJT3pagjd8s&feature=channel

See you all very soon!

Naomi

dgoodman_1958

Thanks Naomi for sharing links to different google tools.  I love the google forms for gathering information collaboratively and quickly.  I also have a Google Wave but haven't had the time to discover how I can best utilize it.  Maybe we can have a webinar on how to use it effectively. 

glen_w

I've started using Google Lab's Web Browser Size to see what percent of my pages are visible on various browser / screen sizes. It's amazing to compare different sites I've been responsible for over the years. My latest site changes the percent visible when I resize the browser window. I therefore decided the site is not 100% accurate, but is fun to play with.

glen_w

Got another teacher to play with Dropbox today. We are collaborating in preparing a PD morning training at our school. He's excited that we can share things so quickly and easily. We're sharing assessments and files. We will show teachers who attend our session how they may collaborate using this tool.

julesfischy

We use dropbox to share files all the time - it is a great resource.  My on the side project is working with Girl Scouts and helping move all of their training materials online.  The group of facilitators started using a wiki and they think that it is the best thing.  Next step is a webinar so that we can meet with facilitators accross the state.

glen_w

I also got my department at school using Quizlet today. I'm very excited because I'm seeing more of my fellow teachers becoming excited about using online tools to help teach our students. Quizlet is interesting as it helps students become familiar with language. I hope we can use it with students in a way that they become more comfortable with the language that will be on our state final.

I do a Google workshop, showing teachers some of the beyond seaching features of Google. The Calendar is very popular for communicating with parents, and scheduling school events. Google forms are great for surveys as class projects. Has anyone played with Google Wave?

glen_w

Two "Google" things for me:

1. Members of the Utah Science Teacher's Association board asked that I teach a session of how to use Google Docs & their capacities at our conference next week.

2. My district is seriously considering moving to "Google Apps" next year. There are some "pilot" people ... can you guess who one of them is?

dgoodman_1958

Glen, I'm thinking that would be YOU!  How did your conference presentation go?

glen_w

Deborah,

Thanks for asking about the conference. We had a fantastic keynote. Dr. Capecchi spoke about the making of a scientist. He spoke briefly (and in a way everyone could understand) about the work that he did for his Nobel Prize. He spoke mainly about how education made a difference in his life. Everyone enjoyed his presentation and understood the basics of his research. My session was very fun. I had more teachers than computers in the lab (thank goodness several brought their laptops.) Many teachers came up and said how excited they were to learn how to use these tools. I think my favorite comment came from a new teacher who said "I think I've tried everything then come to your session and find I've just started learning!" I was excited that this new teacher now has a better understanding of "life long learner."