1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 25, 2010 1:29 PM by blancaedu

Very interesting article by Thomas Friedman in the NY Times

in case you havent seen this- Thomas Friedman gave Obama some "free" advice about the importance of teaching kids entreprenuership skills in schools. an interesting read

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/24/opinion/24friedman.html?hp

• Re: Very interesting article by Thomas Friedman in the NY Times
          blancaedu

Thanks for sharing this article, Paige! Interesting indeed. I have already posted the hidden gems in this article (i.e. NFTE.com - Network for Teaching Entrepreneurship) on FB and Twitter. Although I feel Friedman's take on how the 21st century media has all but disappeared from the Obama camp is somewhat on the money, I do still receive emails from his media group and David Plouffe, Organizing For America, which ask those on their email list to write to their reps and meet to discuss healthcare. The group also reminds me when Obama is speaking on TV or when major votes are taking place in DC. I appreciate the heads up since I'm not tuned into when the national discussions are happening. I'm not sure that Friedman is a part of the group but the social media aspect hasn't disappeared completely.

In terms of advocating for student entrepreneurship, students needing to create new products and services to sell globally, I feel the article is right on. If the U.S. wants to ensure they have a role in global economies 20 years from now, it better prepare its children for a reality check. Doesn't the 21st century belong to those who can read, write, think and act quickly and clearly? Those that can create, learn, relearn and put words into action? Without the fundamentals of reading and writing (and in a second language to boot) our country stands to lose more than economic growth. Students who are illiterate and adults who are illiterate, cannot compete in the same society for the same recognition and pay against those who are. But is reading and writing enough? I've too many friends with college educated children living at home without jobs to count on both hands. These young adults can read and write, so what's the problem? Where will they be in five years? Ten? They're already out of school...what to do next?

Today, we may have the best armed forces in the world. We may even have the best schools. Luckily we have people who understand the science that support our economies (kind of) and develop new services (I think). What will we say in 20 years? In order to keep our workforce and ingenuity going, we need to help ALL our students, not just the head of the class that is catered to, learn how to be flexible entrepreneurs, masters of their own destiny.

Well enough said and that's all for now. I need to help my pre-teen factor polynomials so she can help change the world in 15 years .