4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2013 7:12 PM by glen_w

Classroom Tech Success!

For no reason other than feeling like I have been coasting along this school year, I made the decision to change up a lesson plan.  Choir is typically a "come in, write in journal, warm up, rehearse, pack up, leave" type of affair.  Lots of interaction, but not very high on the Blooms if we're being honest, and it's been frustrating me this year.  So I had the idea to make use of our district BYOTechnology and give the students a bit of self directed learning.  5 practice rooms with instruction pages embedded with QR Codes for 10 minute lessons that are then recorded onto SoundCloud for student and teacher evaluation. The outcome? An entire class that was engaging from start to finish, quantitative proof of instruction, student-led/student-centered learning, collaborative learning, and an excellent opportunity for me to INVITE my appraiser into the classroom instead of the quiet dread of being caught doing the same old thing.  Has anyone else had a successful technology experiment that they'd like to share?

• Re: Classroom Tech Success!
          Bonnie Feather

WOW! Jermaine took a bit of a risk, I would say, and had great success integrating technology with his choir students. Way to go, Jermaine!

Have you had your students collaborate digitally? Have you invited in a guest speaker via Skype? Have you used cool tools like http://fur.ly with your students?

Any new use of tech is a success, since we must start small then build on our successes. Come on in and tell us what has worked for you. Something didn't work? Tell us about that and ask for help. Maybe someone can steer you in a slightly different direction which might be more successful. There's a wealth of expertise here in this community!

~Bonnie

glen_w

Jermaine,

Excellent use of QR codes in a normally "technology ignored subject." Have you considered using Socrative with your student's BYOD? Our choir teacher has been trying to see how well her students recognize standard music symbols, notes, and time signatures. I'd be interested in hearing other possible "fine arts" applications of technology.

erroth

Jermaine,

You could try out sites like Beat Lab, Soundation, and UJam

glen_w

Eric,

Of the three you list, I like BeatLab best. IMHO it is easy for students of all ages to quickly learn how to use it. I'd forgotten about it since I had not used it for some time - thanks so much for the reminder! Do your students use BeatLab with Podcasts?