4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2013 2:24 PM by staceylazarus

Get them thinking

holmesg

How can you use questioning to get students to think about thinking?

The back part of the cortex takes raw information from the senses and processes it into sight, sound and physical sensation.  This gives us perceptual awareness – the ability to experience the world directly, to have real-time concrete images, feelings, names, facts, data and other practical details.   One of the essential elements of an effective problem based classroom is the teacher is the facilitator and questioning is a large part in driving instruction. Back brain thinking activities can be a strategy to help students change how they think about thinking.  For example if you ask the question:  What flavor best represents your attitude towards life?  Students must first analyze their feeling about life and then think about various flavors and which best describes their feelings about life.  WordGameEN A-Z is a wonderful app to work with students to think about thinking.  What question(s) would you ask to promote back brain thinking and encourage students to think about thinking.  Do you have a favorite app that students could engage in to develop this way of thinking?

• Re: Get them thinking
          staceylazarus

Gail,

What a wonderful idea! This website gives a list of more than the normal five senses we think about. When we try this technique, it would be nice to vary the sense used. Similar to Bloom's Taxonomy and the Multiple learning styles, varying the sense will challenge our students.

What flavor best represents your attitude towards life?

What touch best represents your attitude towards life?

What noise best represents your attitude towards life?

What instrument best represents your attitude towards life?

What season best represents your attitude towards life?

What type of thirst best represents your attitude towards life?

holmesg

Stacey,

Designing questions to get students thinking and discussing ideas can be helpful in supporting them as they think through a process.  It can also be used to move them up the blooms ladder from recall to analyze, evaluate and ultimately to design and create.  What word taste like tomato soup, could help move students into a lesson on healthy eating, calories, etc.  The back brain question would get them thinking about the concept being taught.  What good questions you shared.  I especially like the one on seasons.  I can see it leading to a lesson on weather.  What other topics would you guide your students to with your questions?

staceylazarus

Gail,

The words I included in the basic question can lead to many different lessons:

touch-how different people experience the same item...how to create barrier free environments...human emotions(do we need to touch people)

noise-hearing lose, background noise and studying, other types of noise not just auditory

instrument-how do people feel sound, cultural music styles

Could this idea of changing one word in a question be used for interdisciplinary lessons?

glen_w

Gail,

I appreciate the concept of getting students thinking. I recently was involved in a discussion regarding Essential Questions. One of the participants had been taught that an Essential Question was designed to focus students on the day's learning. The example given was "How are pronouns used correctly?" I think that a good essential question leads students to deeper thinking - about the class students are in as well as other classes they study.

How do you see WordGameEN A-Z promoting Essential Questions?