14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2015 8:55 PM by glen_w

STEM Snacks - An Hour of Code Dec.9-15, 2013

glen_w

Disclaimer ... I do NOT teach computer science. My technology focus is helping students think and share knowledge digitally. After watching the Hour of Code promotional video Idecided to participate. 

It appears all teachers in my building will participate allowing every student the opportunity to do one hour of code in December. Some teachers are excited because they do not have to use computers to do activities. Those with computers plan to have students do actual coding. The Computer Science Education Week page provides lesson plans that may be used to teach coding.

I think coding helps students think through problems. A bonus for participating teachers is a 10GB FREE addition to their Dropbox!!! Several schools will be selected to receive computers.

I wondered about my Intel Engage Community peers. Please respond to the following:

• Will you or someone at your school be participating in an Hour of Code this year?
      • How do you think having students learn to code might help them be more successful in your school?
      • What classes should coding be taught in?
        • Re: STEM Snacks - An Hour of Code Dec.9-15, 2013
          glen_w

Positive update!

We met as a faculty (just those interested in doing the hour of code) this afternoon. I was thrilled that our Art teacher was excited and wanted to know how she could participate with her students. We explained the process and options for hour of code and she got more excited. Next week should be a lot of fun.

Are you participating in an hour of code this year?

intelnoemi

Congratulations on your country promote the Education Week offers lesson plans that can be used to teach programming.

It's a good chance that you can also get a bonus for participating teachers is an addition to your Dropbox 10GB FREE!

I hope that your school can participate in an hour of code in this year to be more successful in their schools

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              smersand

I am doing 1 hour of Code each day after school in the library, unfortunately, today was an Ice Day, so we didn't get to kick off like we planned, but tomorrow is another day! The kids who saw the flyers were very excited to see what it was all about. I can't wait to see how many kids show up!

glen_w

I'm thinking we could have called today an "Ice Day." The temperature was only 11 degrees Fahrenheit when I left for work this morning. (I've never had my glasses "frost over" while riding a bike before!)

I've got 20 laptops in my classroom and have 20 students signed up to participate in coding on these computers tomorrow. I think it should be fun. (I saw the sign-up list and saw several students who normally struggle in classes have signed up to participate. This made me wonder if coding might help the behaviorally challenged students be more successful in school.) Does anyone have ideas or thoughts on how coding might help students be more successful in school?

cgardne

I so agree that this could and should be a valuable offering for teachers in all schools.  Learning is a life-long process so this should be provided for teachers and administrators.  It may help with them understanding all that an IT person actually does behind the scenes.  It may even spur them on to explore even more technology resources.  Even taking online courses as well as encouraging their students as well.  Wouldn't it be fun if a student would be the leader encouraging the teacher?

glen_w

I also think it would be great to have students leading teachers. The opportunity for students to grow and learn in ways they desire would be incredible. This might be the opportunity that leads teachers to provide greater technology opportunities in their classrooms.

I think the total number of participating students at my school was between 50 and 75%. (We'll have final numbers sometime next week.) All students who participated did so because of their own desire - no one was forced to do coding.

I'm interested in hearing how participation went at other schools. Please share what you know about this.

glen_w

Wahoo! I've already had one student inform me she is writing an iOS app! She is thrilled to be able to do this. I'm excited at her enthusiasm for self-directed learning.

glen_w

Winner, Winner, Winner. I got my free 10GB Dropbox addition this past week. There was a short survey to complete based on my students' experiences. (A few questions related to my experience with the Hour of Code.) Other teachers at my school were very enthusiastic when they received the additional Dropbox storage space from this event. My school already determined we want to do Hour of Code in future years (with or without additional Dropbox storage.)

How were your students' experiences? Would you do Hour of Code again?

p.s. By the way, my email with the Hour of Code survey was hidden in my Spam folder and I had to look for it. I'm not sure why it was blacklisted.