0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2013 11:08 PM by holmesg

Classroom Challenge – My StoryMaker – December 2013

holmesg

Vocabulary is one of 5 components of reading instruction essential to teaching reading (National Reading Panel).  It helps to access background knowledge, learn new concepts, express thoughts and communicate effectively.  Vocabulary is the glue that holds stories, ideas and content together.  The high correlation in the research literature of word knowledge with reading comprehension indicates that if students do not adequately and continuously grow their vocabulary knowledge, reading comprehension will be affected (Chall & Jacobs, 2003).

To overcome the obstacles faced by students with limited or no knowledge of English, students who do not read outside of school, students with reading and learning disabilities or students entering school with limited reading knowledge, teachers need to engage the best kind of vocabulary instruction and use technology that accommodates and support learning.

The 5 components of reading instruction includes: phonemic awareness, phonics and word study, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension.  An app that I found effective in teaching vocabulary is flashcard lite.  (See chart below for additional information on My Story Maker and how it can be used to maximize comprehension.  What app(s) are you using to support one or more of the 5 components of reading instruction?

My StoryMakerWhat is MyStoryMaker?
      MyStory.png
      1. My StoryMaker was developed by Carnegie Library of Pittsburg.
      2. It requires adobe flash and adobe reader.
      3. Once a story is ended, it can not be edited.
      4. At the completion of the story, a story code is provided to access and share the story.
      5. The story can be printed or saved as a pdf file and stored on your personal computer.
      6. After one month, your story is deleted from the server.
      Learn:  Click here to read a sample story.  Type the code

ZSD368 to access the story.  My StoryMaker can be used to create interactive stories with guided instructions. The animated characters and backgrounds can be used to support vocabulary, comprehension and reading goals.

Classroom Strategies:

1. Create interactive books.
      2. Defend the position of a character from the character’s point of view.
      3. Have students explain vocabulary and write sentences.
      4. Rewrite a story with a different ending.
      5. Students demonstrate learning, comprehension and understanding of concepts by writing a story reflecting curriculum concepts.

Explore: Click herehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmr9TWawbeQor view the video below to discover how My StoryMaker can be used in your classroom to engage learners and enhance writing.

Create:  Allow students to create a story using My StoryMakerhttp://www.clpgh.org/kids/storymaker/embed.cfmthat focuses on a concept from your SCOS. Return and share the pdf for one of the stories created.