20 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2010 5:59 PM by NaomiHarm

What is your favorite Intel Education Resource and why?

julesfischy

My journey with using the educational resources from Intel began in 1998 - when the collection of lesson plans and ideas were being gathered as teachers were going through trainings - and I was lucky enough to be one of those teachers trained.  I was in a pilot group of Thinking with Technology and remember when Visual Ranking and Seeing Reason were the only tools.  I remember the pilot of Assessing Projects - in Phoenix with a diverse group of international educators and the launch of Essentials Online and of this Community.  Now Elements is taking shape and starting to take the learning in a new direction.

I have lots of favorites and depending on what day of the week and who I am working with I think that my answer will vary. So I am curious what is your favorite resource and why?

• Re: What is your favorite Intel Education Resource and why?

What a great question, Julia. Hard to answer, but will be interesting to see what everyone chooses. I really like the visual ranking tool, but I think the lesson plans and resources have been most beneficial for my participants. I was also introduced to Delicious in TWT years ago and could not live without it. I have to say Intel is the reason I have started using web 2.0 tools and have become a web 2.0 junkie...lol.

I also like the fact that Intel serves as a "one stop" shop for teachers. That is the biggest concern for teachers today, finding the time to collect resources. They really like the fact that everything is in one place and the fact that they are able to modify them.

Did you ask for ONE resource ?

I like Assessing Projects. It has so much flexibility and it gives teachers a base to start with so they aren't starting with at blank slate. There are so many different resources at many different levels. It is great that the resources is web based so that when you want to share a rubric with another teacher or checklist you can bring it up or send it to them instead of looking through the file cabinet. My only complaint is you can't upload your own rubric into the system. You need to recreate it there or adjust one that is already there.

I have also become a big fan of Showing Evidence. There are so many wonderful features that can be incorporated in a lesson such as evaluating the strength of an arguement or the support for the arguement. It is a great tool to organize your own thoughts or for your students to organized theirs to make a focused arguement. It can be used with younger students to teach them about what makes a good arguement by populating it with some information and have the students come up with a little more information and then to take a stand based on the evidence.

abuan

Hi Julia,

I like Assessing Projects. The resource gives a comprehensive discussion on the value of doing on going assessments in the classroom. Assessment strategies is presented clearly with ideas on how to do it my classroom. The sample assessment plans and assessment library are great resources that enables me to modify and use it my class.

Amy

Bonnie Feather

Amy,

Do you find that you use Assessing Projects more as a resource for ready-made assessments, or that you use it to create assessments of your own?  How long have you been using it?  Do you think your formative assessment practices have changed since you started using it?

~Bonnie

abuan

Hi Bonnie,

I have been using the Assessing Project resource 2007 - the resources explains clearly the value of on going assessment in the classroom. I modified assessment tools and some I created it in relation to the lesson I am implementing. The experience of implementing on going assessment and continuous reading  the assessing project resources helps me clearly understand the importance of assessments in the classroom.

• Yes, it's big!
                          Bonnie Feather

It sounds like you keep going back to the Assessment tool to examine a number of the resources found there.  I wonder if there are others who feel it is the type of resource we need to re-visit?  Is there a type of assessment you use more often than others?

• Re: Yes, it's big!
                              abuan

Hi Bonnie

For now as a neophyte on on going assessment in doing project - I use brainstorming , checklist, project plan, peer evaluation and rubric. I realized the value of assessments in supporting students success. I still need to explore more and trying it out in my classroom.

I think my background as a science teacher has a definite influence on my love for the Showing Evidence tool. While I am a fan of all of the tools, this one stands out because it provides a platform on which students can begin to understand the importance of supporting ideas with facts. Students not only have to gather and document their evidence, but they also have to rate the evidence and then decide if it supports or refutes the claim. In a recent training, I demonstrated use of the tool to solve problems in science classes.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          shanmangin

I usually share the Assessing Projects tool in all my workshops (even if they aren't part of an Intel training).  I teach staff development workshops on technology integration to all grade levels. No matter what the topic is or who the audience is, this tool fits in perfectly.  I wrap up the day by asking them how they would evaluate what they just created (video project, wiki, blog, etc), and then I show them the tool.  They LOVE it!  I find that most teachers like to download the assessment into Word or Excel and then modify it slightly.  But, all of them are grateful for the resource.

1 of 1 people found this helpful

As much as I love Assessing Projects, I must admit that I am partial to the three tools in the Thinking with Technology training.  These tools offer the students the chance to really collaborate with one another and "get into the higher order thinking" that is so important.  The fact that any grade level can use the Visual Ranking tool is also a plus.  You can even have a kindergartner involved.  My only wish here is that the tool would have the ability to use a jpeg file and not just text.

I agree Neil, I have received a lot of requests to be able to put pictures in with visual ranking and seeing reason. What we did with one group of first graders with the visual ranking is we printed out strips with the word and a picture and students work together in groups to rank them and then we did it as a group on the smartboard and they were able to match it up with what they had done at their desk with the manipulative (word and picture) and that worked well and then we had only one point of entry for the data.

Hey Julia,

I would have to agree with you about my favorite would depend on the day and the training I am conducting.  With that being said......I would say my favorite would be the Thinking Tools and I think I am partial to Seeing Reason.  It is so exciting for me to see educators use these tools for the first time and see the value of the tool in so many different aspects.

dadams6@kumc.edu

Personally, and aesthetically, I love Showing Evidence.  I find it elegant and a great way for kids to understand that not all evidence is equal.  I've used it during a presentation on broadcast media and science, in which I gave the example of Jenny McCarthy given equal weight with a biochemist in a news story about vaccines and autism. Frankly I wish I used it more.

However I tend to find that Visual Ranking is useful more often (for different purposes, obviously!).  I just find myself pulling up Visual Ranking all the time, and so many different situations.  People get it immediately, so it can be done on the fly.  If I had only one tool available, I'd want it to be Visual Ranking.

glen_w

I'm going out on a slight limb here ... this resource is for me as a teacher, not to use with students. I really enjoy using Assessing Projects. I really enjoy how I can design assessments to identify student success with 21st Century Skills. I use all the tools at one point or another ... but I really like designing appropriate assessments. Please join in and tell everyone why you also like Assessing Projects!

My favorite tool is the assessment library. When training pre-service and classroom teachers the one element that they are inclined to put off is assessments. Teachers focus on planning and the activities and often hurry through the assessment planning. So, Intel provides a shopping center for  quality assessments. Higher quality checklists and rubrics will also cause teachers to reflect back on their plans and make sure they are aligned and high quality.

When I first read the title of this post an Intel tool or website did not come to mind. My favorite Intel resource is customer support. Teacher Training has never let me down. they are super quick to respond and always so helpful with working with our sometimes Koo-Koo requests.

NaomiHarm

I also agree with Susan- customer service is the best.  Just last week I ordered the one page flyers of the Intel Teach Elements PBA and Help Guide, and they are guaranteed to be delivered the day before our WI conference.  We are so excited to handout these resources to our WI state wide conference to market this new course to educators.

Thanks Intel Education and customer service for all you do!

Naomi Harm