76 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2014 2:48 PM by cgardne

Fun Activity- Jan-Feb 2014- Recipes for Success-Creating an International Cookbook

vkajones

The holidays are upon us and many of us are cooking and entertaining family, friends and strangers. Many of us are creating and serving our favorite family dishes that have been passed down from generation to generation. These dishes bring back memories of family tradition, family gatherings, and good times.

For the next few months, we want to collect your family recipes as well as your “Recipes for Success” in Education.  Use the guidelines below to share your family recipes and then share a Recipe for Success Quote. Instead of exploring New Year’s Resolutions, we are collecting both recipes and Recipes for Success in education. Share your  inspirational education quote to kick off the new year?

In our efforts to make this a true international activity to engage all of our international participants in Teachers Engage, we want you to also include the name of your country in your post

Post Criteria:

1. Name of Country
      2. Recipe with directions on how to prepare it
      3. The history of the recipe (family tradition, origin, why it is your favorite recipe? Has it been passed down from generation to generation?)
      4. Include a picture of the finished dish made by your recipe
      5. Recipes for Success Inspirational Educational Quote

Participate in our Fun Thread between December 11, 2013 and February 23, 2014 to be entered into a drawing for a digital camera.  THERE WILL BE TWO WINNERS FOR THIS THREAD.

Note: This drawing will only become active when a minimum of 10 participants respond, which means in some cases, the drawing will take place after the above mentioned date. For a complete description and eligibility of Engage community drawings, click on the Intel Bunny Person.

• Re: Fun Activity- Dec 2013-Jan 2014- Recipes for Success

Hello... from the United States (of Texas)!

My favorite family recipe is cornbread stuffing. It was one of the first things I learned to cook (when I was about ten). I started out as my mom's expert taster, then worked up to sous chef, and now I am the one who cooks it for Thanksgiving (and sometimes Christmas). It is not a family recipe passed down from other generations- my grandmother didn't cook. She had maids that did it for her and wouldn't allow Mom in the kitchen (though she occasionally snuck in anyway). I think Mom adapted the recipe from her well-used Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. cookbook.JPG That book was like her other Bible, since she had to teach herself the basics.... and she did an awesome job!

You start with making a batch of sweet cornbread (or two or three, since you're going to want leftovers).

cornbread.JPG

For a single batch of stuffing, you will then need the following... giblets (from inside the turkey),drippings from cooking your turkey (or giblet broth if you have no drippings), about 1 stick butter (melted), two hard-boiled eggs (roughly chopped), about 5 stalks of celery (sliced about 1/8" thick), one medium onion (chopped), one bay leaf, kosher salt, coarse ground pepper, celery salt, poultry seasoning,

So....first, pull the giblets out of the turkey and cook the turkey (I cook mine in a low oven overnight... man the house smells good when you wake up!) Place the giblets (all of them... the neck has tons of yummy meat on it!) , about a half-teaspoon kosher salt, and the bay leaf (I get mine from my huge Bay Laurel in the back yard- nothing like fresh!) in a saucepan with enough water to cover them by about two inches- put it on the stove- bring it to a boil and turn the heat down to a simmer until giblets are well cooked (about 45 min. to an hour). Remove the pan from the heat and let the giblets cool.  (Set the broth aside for later). Once they are cool, cut the small yummy bits (heart, gizzard, livers) into smaller bits (about 1/4" pieces)- making sure to leave the gristle from the gizzards aside for a pet's treat later. Now, for the messy part... use your hands to remove all the yummy meat (sort of like pulled pork, but it's turkey).

neck.JPG

Okay, now you're ready to assemble the stuffing. A lot of it now is "to taste," so be ready to keep tasting (and maybe have an assistant on hand for a second opinion.)  Start by crumbling the cornbread into a large bowl (this doesn't need to break it into uniform bits- it will fall apart more as you mix in other ingredients). Add the chopped boiled eggs, sliced celery, chopped onion, and the tasty giblets. toss this around with your hands.

Drizzle the melted butter all over the stuffing and add about 1/2 tsp. each of kosher salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning, and 1/4 tsp celery salt. Toss this all in and taste (knowing that you will be baking this- and the celery/onions will get softer and their flavors will spread through the cornbread). You want it to be moist, but NOT soggy- that would be more like my mother-in-law's stuffing! (Did I say that?)

Now add about 1/4 cup of drippings (or giblet broth) and toss to mix. It should be a little more moist than you are going to want it when it's done (the oven will dry out some of the moisture and you DON"T want it too dry. Taste it. [When you bake it, all the flavors will become more intense] Add more of whichever seasoning is too light, as well as more drippings/ broth, being careful to taste each time you add something.  Once you are happy with the flavor profile, spoon it into a baking pan or casserole dish and cover tightly with foil. Bake at 350* for thirty minutes... and enjoy!

stuffing.JPG

My recipe for success in the classroom can be summed up by one of Mem Fox's concluding ideas in her incredible book, Radical Reflections: Passionate Opinions on Teaching, Learning, and Living

"You ought to be able to create a community of learners..." "If you don't know the students in your classes, as individuals, they will be distanced from you and will be less willing and able to learn. If you don't open up and share who you are with your students, they will not learn to trust you as a teacher and as a fellow human being; this will limit their engagement in class. If you don't create a close-knit community, how will you manage to incorporate the affective to enhance the cognitive in your teaching? If you don't like people and if you don't accept them for what they are, you should not begin to call yourself a teacher..."

Bon Apetit!

Nasiraa

Hello everybody Nasira from Pakistan. My family’s favorite dish is“Kofta Curry”. Kofta curry has its history in the Mughal era. Kofta curry is cooked by making meat balls in spicy curry giving it a Muglia touch. This is a traditional dish is unique and tempting. This dish is served with breador cooked rice,it is as yummy as it looks tempting and appealing to the eyes. Since long we have been preparing it on National occasions   or when the family members are together, it is easy, has nutritive value. Meat balls may be made from minced meat of   mutton, chicken or beef. Boneless meat is chopperized in the blender for some time, and then small  meat balls made  by hands which are then slowly placed into the curry,which is called the  curry masala.

Ingredients:

ITEM

NEEDED

Meat balls

Minced Meat                                     300gm

Salt

To taste

Curry

Grated onion

2 medium size

Garlic

¼ clove pounded

Ginger

¼ piece pounded

Vegetable Oil

1 Cup

Turmeric powder

Red Chili powder

Salt                                 to taste

½ Tea spoon

½ Teaspoon

rice.jpg      pic.jpg

Courtesy:  1.http://quotepixel.com/make-your-own-picture-quotes.html  2.www.currypowders.org

Recipe: Put minced meat 300gm  and salt to taste in the blender and blend till a smooth paste is formed.In a skillet sauté  80gm finely chopped onion in 1 cup of oil, put in two teaspoon  paste of garlic and ginger, add  half teaspoon of turmeric and red grounded chili powder, and   one cup boiled water  on slow heat let the mixture  cook  for an hour. The result will be a smooth golden curry then slide the prepared meat balls again let them simmer for 20 minutes.

A tasty curry with meat balls is ready,sprinkle with sliced ginger and mint leaves,enjoy this with fried rice or bread.  

Recipe for success:The   main ingredients being:

• Active engagement
            • Motivation
            • Interaction

quote.jpg

My experience for success in education is by engaging the teachers in active Hands on activities. Changing the conventional educational methods into interactive methods. I have seen a distinctive change in teachers/students in an interactive classroom showing videos lessons and making students participate in groups incorporating their ideas into sub groups created  by teachers in the class.Second most important ingredient is the rapport or the interaction which needs to be built in with the head of the institute and the teachers, as their vision of new methods/ pedagogy will bring overall success in education.My developed quote for success in education for year 2014 will be.

mcsweej

My family is from the US, and while we have traditional roots throughout Europe, 2013 has been a very transitional ear for us. In addition to moving halfway around the country from NC to TX, my wife transitioning from being a teacher to a student, and me transitioning from being a "face to face" middle school teacher to a full time online high school instructor and instructional leader, we also learned that my oldest son has an allergy to the proteins in milk. This brought our vegetarian family to the decision to go vegan. I go in to all this detail to say that our traditional recipe is a new one, one that i created this fall with inspiration from the various vegan cookbooks and websites I have been scouring to keep our family fed. Our traditions in celebration have been new as well, as we have spent this holiday season travelling across NC in a borrowed car, sleeping in all of our family members’ homes along the way.

McBarbee Clan's Vegan Lasagna

Ingredients:

5-6 Cloves of garlic

I medium yellow onion

1 medium carrot

2/3 stout or other dark beer

1 cup dry white wine

I bunch Kale or other greens

2 zucchinis

1 can of Cannellini beans

1 14.5 oz package of silken tofu

2 tbs Nutritional yeast

2 tsp lemon juice

1/3 cup ground raw cashews

Olive Oil

Tbs basil

Tbs Oregano

2 tsp thyme

Tbs agave, maple syrup or sugar

“Pasta:”

Slice one zucchini into long thin strips, sprinkle with salt and bake in the oven at 350 for 30-45 minutes, Set aside to cool when done.

Bean Layer:

Slice ¾ of the onion into thin strips and place in a pan on medium high heat, sauté until browned (about 10 minutes). Add 2-3 cloves of garlic and cook until fragrant (30 seconds). Add the beans (rinsed and drained) and cover with beer. Cook down until most of the liquid is gone (about 15 minutes). Turn off the heat and mash the beans until it is almost a paste and set aside.

Greens Layer:

Dice the remaining ¼ of the n=onion and a medium carrot and place in an oiled pan on medium high heat. Sauté until translucent. Add the other zucchini cut into ¼ inch pieces. Remove the Kale from the stems and chop it roughly, add little by little until all of it will fit into the pan. Add the remaining garlic and add sauce to taste. Also add basil, oregano and thyme to taste. Add the wine and simmer until liquid is gone from the pan, set aside.

Vegan Ricotta:

Place the tofu, 2 tbs cashews, nutritional yeast, tsp salt, agave (or other) and lemon juice in a bowl. Mix together with a spoon, fork or you hand until it is a ricotta like consistency (15 seconds).

Layering:

Start with the Greens layer, using about half cover the bottom of an 8x8 pan. Next layer in half of the beans, followed by half of the zucchini, then half of the ricotta mixture. Repeat this pattern and top the whole mix with the remaining cashews.

Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350-400 degrees, let cool to set about 5 minute, cut with a spatula, serve and enjoy!

Here is a link to an Animoto video visually outlining the steps, just in case it is not showing up for you above.

With my transition from brick and mortar to virtual classroom, my educational inspirational quote that has bridged the gap for me in my thinking of how to reach the students is that education is a lot like a bank: You will not be able to get anything out of it if you have not put anything into it.

yespmed317

Traditional Mexican Sugar and Cinnamon Bunuelos

Prep Time:  45 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Serving: 6 tortilla sized bunuelos

Ingredients:

1 cup flour

1/2 cup of water

Pinch of salt

Pinch of baking powder

1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon

rolling pin

medium sized bowl

frying pan

1/4 cup of vegetable oil

Sprinkle of sugar

Sprinkle of cinnamon

Preparation:

Begin by hand-mixing 1 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of water, a pinch of salt, a pinch of baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon.  Continuing kneading dough until it is firm and little to no flour can be seen.  If dough is sticking to your fingers add some more four until it no longer sticks.  Pull off a golf ball sized piece of dough and roll it into a ball.  Continue until you have about 6 round dough balls.  Spread some flour onto a clean counter surface and around your rolling pin.  First, grab a dough ball and press it down with your hand so it looks similar to a tortilla.  Place it on the counter and begin stretching the dough with the rolling pin.  Continue rolling until the dough is very thin, but be careful it doesn't stick to the counter.  If dough does get sticky, put a little bit of flour on dough.  Repeat this process with the other dough balls.  Once all dough balls have been rolled, leave them on the counter to air dry for about 30 minutes. 

Cooking:

Turn on the ove to medium high and begin heating up the 1/4 cup of vegetable oil.  Wait until the oil is very hot.  Be careful some oil may splash out because of heat.  After letting the dough air dry for 30 minutes, they are ready to be fried.  Carefully, place one single dough into the oil and let fry for about 1 minute or until it is golden brown.  Flip to the other side and wait about 1 minute or until it is golden brown.  Place on a separate plate and sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on each side.  Repeat this process for the other single doughs.  Enjoy!!

This is a family recipe that we do every year for New Year's Eve.  My mom and grandmother say they don't remember a time they didn't have them for New Year's, so it must be something that has been passed down.  I remember being a little kid and waiting in the kitchen as my mom and grandmother prepared the dough.  When we were old enough, it was our turn to knead the dough and sprinkle the sugar.  This is the second year that I have been able to continue the tradition by making them in my own home.  I plan on teaching my children and enjoying this treat for years to come!

2014-01-01 13.26.06.jpg

Recipe for Success:

When I think of Recipe for Success I think of Nelson Mandela.  He was such a great example of what it means to truly change the lives of others.  As educators, we are bombarded every day with new challenges and new paperwork, that its easy to forget our purpose.  Nelson Mandela's quote," Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." is definitely something that teachers need to remember and internalize to continue to make a difference in the lives of their students.

Stephanie Dempsey

dentilatafa@hotmail.com

Hello my friends

Albanians are expetionally generous and hospitable! They have some traditional delicious food.

THis one, is from Elbasan, a nice town in Albania, with traditional food, on it. I try to tell you

something easy to do...

Albanian Recipe:

Baked Lamb and Yogurt (Albanian Name: Tavë Kosi)

Servings: 4

Ingredients:

1-1/2 lbs lamb

4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)

2 tablespoons rice

Salt, pepper

For Yogurt sauce:

1 tablespoon flour

4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)

2 lbs. yogurt

5 eggs

Salt, pepper

Cooking Instructions:

Cut meat in 4 serving pieces, sprinkle each piece with salt and pepper, and bake in a moderately-heated oven with half the butter, sprinkling the meat with its gravy now and then. When meat is half-baked, add rice; remove the baking pan from the oven and leave it aside while you prepare the yogurt sauce:

Sauté flour in butter until mixed thoroughly. Mix yogurt with salt, pepper and eggs until a uniform mixture is obtained, and finally stir in the flour. Put the sauce mixture in the baking pan; sauté it with the meat pieces and bake at 375 degrees F for about 45 minutes.

Serve hot.

http://www.shqiptarja.com/files/tave%20kosi3.jpg

Have a nice meal all of you try this one!!! )))))))

dentilatafa@hotmail.com

Flour Hallva

Is traditional cooking after someone dies. with this  cooki we remember the dead person. I remember that our grandparents, try to put some of this flour on fire to burns, just a little, to taste the flavor, so, the our lovely person dead, understand that we remember to them doing this flour. After the funeral, we always have this flour in a table of the meal  in wich we all get together to respect the person who was gone!..

But friends, It is not saying that we eat Hallva, only in this case! many others and i, like to eat, on  other days, maby and happy days, or without a reason, just to taste that flour. To have a delicous flour, you must add some nuts on it!!! )))))

It's so erasy and unexpensive too!

Ingredients:

1 glass flour

1 glass margarine

1 1/4 glasses granulated sugar

5 glasses water

Cooking Instructions:

Heat the margarine in a saucepan very gently, and Sauté the flour until golden brown in the margarine for 40 minutes over low to moderate heat. When the flour turns light golden, put the sugar and water in a separate saucepan and make syrup by boiling gently. Add the syrup to the saucepan with flour and simmer for 20 minutes, and then take out small pieces of the Hallva with a wooden spool, form into balls and place on a serving plate.

Serve warm.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/sq/2/28/Hallva.jpg

• Re: Fun Activity- Dec 2013-Jan 2014- Recipes for Success-Creating an International Cookbook
                      glen_w

My family likes me to use the Original Nestle(R) Toll House(R) Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe and make giant cookies. The cookie dough is divided into four equal parts. Each is placed in a 6 inch cast iron skillet and baked at 375F for 18 - 20 minutes.

100_1000.JPG

• Re: Fun Activity- Dec 2013-Jan 2014- Recipes for Success-Creating an International Cookbook

Screen Shot 2014-01-07 at 6.52.15 PM.png

Chocolate No Bake Clusters from Mary Aldens 40 Favorite Recipes (Quaker Oats) - United States

My mom started making these when we were kids. We could help make the balls. Now I make them at Christmas. I've tweaked it a bit. And, they are "kind of" healthy!

6 oz. chocolate chips ( I now use dark chocolate chips)

1/3 c. butter

16 large marshmallows

1 c. flaked or shredded coconut

2 c. Quaker Oats (I used old fashioned in the picture, but quick cooking oats work better)

Melt chocolate, butter and marshmallows in a double boiler. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut and oats. Mix thoroughly. Drop from teaspoon onto waxed paper. Refrigerate.  Makes about 3 dozen.

My inspirational quote - Exercise is fertilizer for the brain. (I think it cam from John Ratey, author of SPARK).

BTW - I'm a PE teacher in elementary.

kpeterka

Picadillo

Picadillo is a fun recipe. It can be made with different ingredients and spiced according to your own taste. It was one of the first meals I learned to prepare when I moved to Oaxaca, Mexico. It was an eye-opener to know that Mexican food is so varied from region to region. Picadillo is also prepared in other Latin American countries and has its twists according to areas and family preferences.  I have made it in Texas in a casserole. When I lived in Mexico, not many recipes involved the oven since not everyone has an oven. Here in Texas, I topped the meat with a cornbread to make a "Tamale Pie" Tex-Mex type meal!

Yum.

picadillo recipe.jpg

Picadillo can be served in soft tacos or as a main dish with rice, beans and tortillas.

https://www.google.com/search?q=picadillo+photo&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=qSk&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&source=iu&imgil=SwXui4Z3jgCs-M%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcTvCMT5I21AikBgM8KWptPQXhni_1p_m4PjyUEnbtTZSSKVHqbX%253B3888%253B2592%253BMouW-Ij6CiMnqM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.virgieandhats.com%25252F%25253Fp%2525253D316&sa=X&ei=tMbSUqmSOaq_sQSAioCYDA&ved=0CFEQ9QEwCA&biw=1330&bih=575#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=SwXui4Z3jgCs-M%253A%3BMouW-Ij6CiMnqM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.virgieandhats.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2011%252F05%252FIMG_3317.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.virgieandhats.com%252F%253Fp%253D316%3B3888%3B2592

"Believe you can and you are halfway there", Theodore Roosevelt

• Re: Fun Activity- Jan-Feb 2014- Recipes for Success-Creating an International Cookbook
                            ramirez.pantoja.carmen@gmail.com

Hola a todos y todas:

Mi nombre es CARMEN RAMÍREZ PANTOJA. A continuación les presento un plato típico e histórico de la cocina peruana. La Papa a la huancaína

papa a la huancaina.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_77tnODPlY8A/S3GAX34zfZI/AAAAAAAAFtk/0hO9wISfb_8/s400/papa%2Ba%2Bla%2Bhuancaina.jpg

En su presentación clásica es acompañada por huevos duros, aceitunas negras y hojas de lechuga. La historia más aceptada sobre su origen cuenta que el autor de este plato compraba los ingredientes en la ciudad de Huancayo (Junín), en el valle del río Mantaro, y por homenajear a esta región lo denominó "Papa a la huancaína". La receta se difundió hasta llegar a Lima y muchas cosas en su preparación cambiaron. El batán por la licuadora y el rocoto por el ají amarillo. Aquí les dejo la receta:

Ingredientes:

*Cuatro ajíes amarillos

*Un diente de ajo picado

*Un cuarto de cebolla (opcional)

*Un cuarto de taza de leche

*Tres galletas de soda

*Aceite, sal, pimienta al gusto

*Doscientos gramos de queso fresco

*Cuatro papas sancochadas (partirlas en tajadas)

*Dos huevos sancochados (partidos por la mitad)

*Aceitunas

*Hojas de lechuga

Preparación:

Limpiar los ajíes quitándoles las venas y las pepas.

En una sartén asar la cebolla, los ajíes y el ajo hasta que tengan manchitas oscuras.

Licuarlos y agregarles el queso fresco, la leche, las galletas y un chorrito de aceite. Sazonar con sal al gusto.

Presentación:

Servir la salsa sobre las papas sancochadas y decorar con hojas de lechuga, aceitunas, huevos duros y queso fresco. Se puede acompañar con vaso de chicha morada ¡Súper fácil y rico!

Mi receta educativa
                            consiste en hacer mis clases recordando siempre que mis estudiantes son distintos, cada uno de ellos tiene una forma diferente de ser y aprender. Por ello, mis recursos y estrategias tienen que ser variadas para atender a sus necesidades. Asimismo, que es muy importante gastar tiempo en tratar de conocerlos cada vez  más...

• Re: Fun Activity- Jan-Feb 2014- Recipes for Success-Creating an International Cookbook
                              lsrdhunter@msn.com

APPLESAUCE

Country:  Applesauce made most often in the United States

Directions:  Start by peeling and slicing enough apples to fill a large bowl. Macintosh, Royal Gala, and Honey Crisp apples make great applesauce.  Don’t be afraid to mix varieties together.  Next pour in about a cup of apple juice. You can also use apple cider or just plain water. Squeeze the juice of a lemon over the apples making sure not to drop lemon seeds into the mixture.  Add half a cup of brown sugar to give the mixture sweetness and great color. Next, add about a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon or a little allspice and transfer the mixture to a large pot.  Stir the apples over medium to medium-high heat, then cover the pot and let them cook for 25 minutes or so. To puree the applesauce, transfer all the contents of the pan to a blender or food processor.   Remember the mixture will be very hot; therefore, it may be necessary to puree half of the mixture at a time.  Serve the apple sauce warm or chill in refrigerator.  Fresh homemade applesauce is delicious and much tastier than store bought

History:  My mother made applesauce similar to the recipe above but she always replaced the sugar with orange juice.

Photo:

applesauce.JPG

Quote:  An apple a day keeps the doctor away!

jacray2004

papas.gif

Hello everyone:

I will try to share this recipe I found in Spanish. I made some modifications to the original recipe and I hope you understand my English...

Recipe for a good performance of the teacher's role

Ingredients:

• sweetness
                                • patience
                                • affection
                                • love
                                • dedication
                                • capacity
                                • creativity
                                • good humor
                                • intelligence.

Preparation:

To perform a good teacher role in a large bowl mix 20 kg, vocation, patience, kindness and gentleness, without measure, all the ability and intelligence to find (and if not enough you can purchase a professional development course).

Separating the personal from the labor. Beat it with a pinch of labor humorous until doubled in volume. Merge with the previous preparation and beat with a lot of energy and dedication. Let stand overnight, then simmer and ... enjoy it year round!

For best performance of this recipe suggests renew every year the quality of the ingredients and, if possible, increase the amounts proportionately.

TIPS:

Tip #1: Enjoy all the time to be a teacher.

Tip #2: You can add any other additional ingredients such as sprinkles collaboration or jam skills. Unmatched if accompanied with a plate of technologies (ICT).

Tip #3: You can try other variations by adding other ingredients to this basic recipe, but do not forget to pass the recipe and SHARE.

maestra1.jpg

Jacqueline Arroyo

Costa Rica

SciFest

Guinness Stew - An Irish Recipe

Guinness has been brewed in Dublin, the capital city of Ireland, since 1759. This famous Irish black stout is now known all over the world. Nowadays it is used increasingly in cooking as it adds flavour to stews and casseroles and helps to tenderise the meat. I like it on a cold day and usually I make enough for two days at a time as it always tastes better the second day. It’s easy to prepare and just cooks away slowly giving you time to do other things.

Ingredients

900g lean stewing beef

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons plain flour

Salt and freshly ground pepper

Pinch of cayenne

2 large onions, coarsely chopped

2 tablespoons tomato puree, dissolved in 4 tablespoons water

600ml Guinness

1 large carrot, cut into chunks

Sprig of thyme

Method

Trim the meat, removing any fat or gristle, and cut into chunks. Toss the meat in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Put the flour in a sandwich bag and add the salt, freshly ground pepper and a pinch or two of cayenne. Add the meat to the bag and shake. Add the remaining oil to a frying pan and brown the meat on all sides in the pan at high heat. Add the onions and tomato puree to the pan, cover and cook gently for about 5 minutes.

Empty the contents of the pan into a casserole dish. Pour some of the Guinness into the frying pan and bring to the boil stirring continuously Pour onto the meat with the remaining Guinness. Add the carrot chunks and the thyme. Stir. Cover with tight fitting lid and cook gently in an oven at 3000F (1500C) for 2 to 3 hours until meat is tender.

Serve with potatoes. Delicious.

guinness-beef-stew-15-600.jpg

Quote:

“Kid, you’ll move mountains! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!” – Dr. Seuss
                                    tlmaves

I want to cook now instead of work! I have a tip to share...you can turn this discussion into a PDF and print when you are ready to add these fabulous recipes to your cooking station. This option is in the action box in the right side bar. Happy cooking!!

Maribel_Frida

Hola Jaqueline, un gusto participar nuevamente en la comunidad.

Saludos a todos los participantes en esta comunidad, me llamo Maribel y soy peruana,  voy  a compartir con  ustedes esta receta sobre la preparación del CEVICHE, que es un plato peruano muy solicitado por mis compatriotas y por los turistas.

El ceviche es uno de los platos más populares de la comida peruana, que se consume a lo largo de la costa del Perú. Existen muchas variedades y estilos de prepararlo, dependiendo de cada región. Sin lugar a dudas uno de los más ricos, a pesar de su simplicidad, es el ceviche de pescado.
                                      A continuación se explica su preparación paso por paso, basada en una receta para 6 porciones:

ceviche.jpg

Ingredientes
                                      1 kilo de filetes de pescado fresco

2 choclos (elote)

2 a 3 ajíes limo (puede usarse ½ rocoto picado según el gusto)

20 limones

2 camotes grandes

1 cebolla roja grande o 2 medianas

1 ½ cucharaditas de sal

½ cucharadita de pimienta negra

1 cucharadita de Ají No Moto (glutamato monosódico)

4 ramas de culantro

1 ½ cucharaditas de ajo molido (o según el gusto)

6 hojas de lechuga hidropónica, crespa u orgánica

Preparación:

·          Primero se lavan bien los filetes de pescado y luego se procede a cortarlo en pequeños pedazos de alrededor de 2 cm en forma de cubo y se depositan en un recipiente de vidrio.

·          Picar el ají limo o el rocoto en pedazos pequeños, retirando las pepitas blancas para que no pique mucho (según el gusto).

·          El corte de la cebolla es muy importante ya que debe ser tipo pluma (muy delgada).

·          Un dato para tener en cuenta para que la cebolla no tenga un sabor demasiado fuerte, es depositarla en un recipiente de vidrio con agua fresca y echarle 1 cucharada de azúcar blanca.

·          Picar finamente las cuatro ramas de culantro, quitándole los tallos.

·          Sancochar los choclos y los camotes (en microondas 3 minutos por cada unidad). Luego de sancochados se pelan los camotes y se cortan en pedazos medianos al igual que los choclos.

·          Se cortan los limones por la mitad (deben ser frescos y no muy maduros) y se les quita las semillas. Procedemos a exprimirlos en un recipiente de vidrio. Un dato importante es evitar exprimir los limones al máximo, para que no salga el sumo amargo de la cáscara.
                                      Una vez que se tiene el jugo de limón listo, se mezcla con los ajos molidos, el Ají No Moto, la sal y la pimienta durante unos 20 segundos para que se integren todos los ingredientes.

·          Se agrega el ají limo o rocoto (según preferencia) y el pescado escurrido (sin el hielo) en el recipiente con el jugo de limón, luego la cebolla previamente enjuagada, para que no vaya a tener el sabor dulce del azúcar mientras estuvo remojando, y por último el culantro. Una vez con todos los ingredientes en el recipiente, se mezclan bien usando una cuchara de acero (nunca de madera).

·          Por último servir en un plato con una hoja de lechuga, un trozo de camote, un trozo de choclo y se puede decorar con algo de culantro sobre el pescado. Para acompañar el ceviche es costumbre en Perú servir un poco de cancha (maíz tostado), o chifles (plátano frito en rodajas delgadas). Como bebida se puede acompañar con una cerveza helada, Inca kola o vaso de chicha morada.

Origen

Se cree que los pobladores de la cultura mochica, en el norte del Perú, hace más de dos mil años ya comían el pescado crudo que era macerado con el jugo de alguna fruta que posiblemente era el tumbo.

En general se sabe que en las costas de tumbes, Piura, Trujillo y Lima los antiguos nativos tenían la costumbre de comer el pescado crudo.

También Existen algunas crónicas de los conquistadores españoles que describen a los nativos indios de la costa, que comían el pescado crudo con sal y ají.

El cronista mexicano Pedro Gutiérrez de Santa Clara escribió en sus “Guerras Civiles del Perú” (1544-1548), que los indios del Perú, todo lo que pescaban en el rio o en el mar se lo comían crudo.

Con la llegada de los españoles se introdujeron ingredientes nuevos como la cebolla, la naranja agria y el limón, que se utilizaron en la preparación del pescado crudo. Con el tiempo se hizo común el plato con el nombre de ceviche, cebiche o seviche.

La primera receta que se conoce del “seviche” es de 1860 y pertenece a Manuel Atanasio Fuentes, quien lo menciona entre los picantes en “La Guía de Lima”: consiste en pedazos menudos de pescado, o en camarones que se echan en zumo de naranjas agrias, con mucho ají y sal; se conservan así por algunas horas, hasta que el pescado se impregna de ají, y casi se cocina por la acción caustica de este y del agrio de la naranja.

Mi receta pedagógica

Trabajar con nuestros estudiantes demostrando buen trato y respeto, hay que tener en cuenta sus estilos y ritmos de aprendizaje. ¡muy importante!.   

Y algo que no debe faltar en esta receta es la COMUNICACIÓN, el diálogo para conocer el entorno familiar donde se desarrollo, sí es favorable para su desarrollo. El trabajo con los padres es indispensable como soporte del trabajo en el aula.

Saludos

Maribel Frida

cgardne

PEROGHI

Slovak recipe

This is one of my favorites that I grew up enjoying so much.

Pefoghi.jpg

2 c. flour

2 eggs

1/2 tsp. salt

various fillings (potato, cottage cheese, prunes)

1/2 lb. cottage cheese

Sugar as desired

1/2 lb. prunes

Mix flour, salt, and eggs. Add enough milk for soft dough. (Water can be used.) Roll out to 1/8 thickness and cut into 3 inch squares. Put in a teaspoon full of any desired fillings in the center of each square.  Fold into a triangle pressing edges firmly together.  Work quickly or dough will dry out and will not stick as well. Drop into boiling water into which a teaspoon of salt has been added. Cook 10 minutes.

Remove from water and rinse in lukewarm water.  Drain well. Brown butter and pour over (about ¾ cup butter)

FILLINGS for PEROGHI:

Cottage cheese filling:

½ lb. cottage cheese (dry)

1 egg

Pinch of salt

Sugar (if desired)

Prune filling:

½ lb. prunes (pitted and cooked)

Mash until thickened.  Add to squares.

Potato filling:

Mashed potatoes with grated cheese

Sweet cabbage fried filling:

Fry cabbage until soft, add onions if desired. 

cgardne

HALUBKA 

Slovak recipe

2 lb. hamburger                                                       1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce

1 c. rice                                                                  1 large cabbage

1 medium onion (chopped)                                       1 can of tomatoes

3 tsp. salt                                                               1 c. of water

1 tsp. pepper

Mix hamburger, rice, onion, salt, pepper, and tomato sauce ingredients together.  Core the cabbage.  Put the cabbage in boiling water.  Let stand 15 minutes.  Shape meat mixture into small rolls, wrap a cabbage leaf around each roll.  Pack into a large kettle, pour tomatoes and water over rolls.  Cook for 1 hour and 20 minutes.   (If you cook in oven, be sure to cover your dish as rolls would tend to burn.  Cook at 325 degrees, checking occasionally so as not to burn rolls.)

cgardne

HOLUSHKI

Slovak recipe

This is my all-time favorite Slovak recipe.  My grown children always request this when they come home.

1 ½ c. flour                                                          2 T. water

2 eggs                                                                   Pinch of salt

Mix above and knead thoroughly until smooth.  Roll very thin.  Let stand about ½ hour.  Flour the dough lightly and cut in thin noodles.  (short)  Cook in salted boiling water about 20 minutes.  Drain and cool slightly.  Serve plain with butter or use some of the following variations.

With sweet cabbage:

Chop 1 small head of cabbage.  Fry in butter or bacon drippings until tender.  Salt to taste.  Add hot cabbage to cooked noodles.  Mix well and pour extra melted butter over all before serving.  You may also add bits of fried bacon as well.

With cottage cheese:

After noodles are drained, add melted butter and just before serving mix dry cottage cheese thoroughly.  Serve hot.

Here is a variation as well using sauerkraut and potatoes.

1 lb. bacon

2 medium potatoes

1 small can sauerkraut

1 c. milk

2 1/2 c. flour

butter

Fry the bacon up soft.

Boil water.

Shred potatoes.

Mix potatoes, milk & flour to make dumplings.

Quickly cut the dumplings into the boiling water.

Boil 5 minutes.

Drain & rinse dumplings in cold water.

Dump bacon, drained sauerkraut, & dumplings together, stir in some butter (1/2 a stick or so)

cgardne

Wedding Beef/Threshers Meat

Slovak and German recipe

5 lb. clubbed chuck roast

1 large onion

Salt and pepper to taste

Put in crock pot on low for 8 hours.  The bigger the batch you make the better it is.  The slower you cook it the better it s and the more tender it is. It should pretty much fall apart when done.

This can also be cooked in the oven at 325 degrees for at least an hour or an electric roaster. (at 325, cook 20 lbs. for about 4 hours and stire every ½ hour). It will make its own gravy.

cgardne

Bobalky

Slovak recipe

Another favorite of my family

bobalky.jpg

1 lb. bread dough                  1 ½ c. ground poppy seed

¾ c. water                               3 c. milk

½ - 1 c. honey

• Either prepare or buy 1 pound of bread dough. Pinch off portions of your bread dough into small pieces about an inch in diameter.  Place on a greased cookie sheet, set in warm location and let rise for 15 minutes.
                                                • Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cook ground poppy seed in water for 10 minutes. (or use one can of Solo Poppy Seed) Can be purchased at most grocery stores.
                                                • Bring milk to boil.  Add honey (according to taste).  Add poppy seed.
                                                • Mix bread balls in with the poppy seed, milk and honey.  (The longer you keep it on the stove on warm, the more the bread will soak in the milk mixture and the thicker it will be.)
                                                • Can be served either warm or cooled from the refrigerator.

It was tradition to have Bobalky every Christmas and New Year.

SciFest

IRISH POTATO FARLS/POTATO CAKES

Potato farls are also known as potato cakes or potato bread. The word farl itself originates from the Gaelic word fardel meaning four parts. The recipe originated in Northern Ireland. Potato farls are a very important part of an ‘Ulster Fry-up’ (served with bacon, egg, and sausage).

Recipe for Irish Potato Farls

4 medium potatoes

2 teaspoons of melted butter

1 cup of flour

Half teaspoon of salt

4 teaspoons of vegetable oil

potfarl.gif

Peel and half the potatoes and boil in water for 20 minutes or so until soft. Drain and then add the butter. Mash thoroughly. Add the flour and salt and mix lightly until a dough forms. On a well-floured surface, knead the dough lightly. The dough will be sticky. Use a floured rolling pin to flatten into a 9 inch circle about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into quarters using a floured knife. Fry/Griddle using the oil for approx. 2 minutes or until crispy brown on each side. Serve warm.

‘Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.’

Francis of Assisi (1182 - 1226)

lwenske

I'm sorry that I'm not posting a recipe at this time, but I'll see if I can find one I like.  In all honesty, I really don't cook much at all.  It's never been something I've loved.  Still, my family roots are in Germany and Czechoslovakia.  My mom has made this creation, which she calls, "Sweet Rice," since we were all young.  Her mother made it before her.  It's white rice cooked in boiled milk with tons of sugar and topped with cinnamon.  It's, by far, not the healthiest of meal items, but, oh my goodness, is it DELICIOUS!!!!  But, thank you allllll so much for sharing your creations, ideas and recipes. 

P.S.  My aunt also makes the same, but she tops hers with butter.....unbelievable goodness. 

Following up on Lisa's post - My husband's family (and now I can) makes bibingka (Filipino). This is a rice dessert made with coconut milk. The best part is the topping - coconut milk and brown sugar, then broiled a bit in the oven!!! VERY rich and filling. Great dessert for the holidays.

cgardne

Since summer is here and the rhubarb is ready.  Here is a great recipe for all!

Rhubarb Crunch

1 C Flour Thoroughly blend the dry ingredients; then

1 C Brown Sugar add the melted butter and mix until evenly

¾ C Oatmeal distributed. Pat half of the mixture in a 9x9

½ C Butter, melted pan which has been sprayed with cooking spray.

4 C Chopped Rhubarb Spread over crumb misture.

1 C Sugar Stir sugar and cornstarch together in heavy

2T Cornstarch saucepan, then add water. Bring to boiling, stirring frequently reduce heat and cook until thick and fairly clear,

1 C Water about two minutes. Add vanilla and pour over

1 ½ t Vanilla fruit. Top with reserved crumbs. Bake at 350

Approximately 60 minutes.

cgardne

Another Rhubarb Recipe that is delicious.

Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake

3 C chopped rhubarb Mix this together and spread in the bottom

1 C mini marshmallows of a lightly greased 10 or 12 inch cast iron

¾ C Sugar skillet or other heavy ovenproof pan.

½ C Shortening Mix flour, baking powder, and salt.

1 C Sugar Cream shortening and sugar, add eggs

2 Eggs and mix well. Add dry ingredients and wet

1 ¾ C Flour ingredients alternately to creamed mixture,

1T baking powder blending thoroughly. Pour over fruit

¼ t salt mixture. Bake 40 to 50 minutes at 350.

½ C milk Cool 10 minutes on a rack. Run a knife

1 t vanilla around the edge to loosen. Place plate over

pan and invert pan to remove cake.