38 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2014 6:43 AM by susangauthier

Tech it OUT!

Ready or not ...we made it to 2014!

I am confident that as the fireworks were popping at midnight the thoughts of a  New Year’s Resolution were being drafted in your head. We all make and we usually break resolutions but it is a New Year’s tradition. The best resolutions are specific, measurable and most of all achievable.  The beginning of a new year is the perfect time to make a change for the better in your digital day-to-day. Join us in our Engage challenge by making a Technolution. Share in this thread your 2014 technology plan. Will you use a new app for classroom or personal use? Will you tweet more this year or lurk on twitter for new teaching ideas? How about integrating a teaching tool or site into your favorite lesson plan? Will you attend a webinar or experiment with Google Hangout?

Share your Technolution for 2014 to set your technology goals and focus your mind for the year. Revisit this thread to give support and check out everyone's new year technology direction.

new-year-keyboard.jpg

• Re: Tech it OUT!
          deb_norton

Hi Susan,

What a great topic for a discussion thread! 

My New Year's Technolution is to integrate one new tool or site a month.  I feel this is very doable.  For the month of January I am going to teach our students to code and program using Scratch.  In February I'm going to focus on a classroom redesign.  This idea really excites me. I'm ready for a change.

I can't wait to see what others will post for their Technolution.

Deb

dougemints

This year I'm going to move closer to being a "paperless" educator.  I am going to use Evernote for keeping records and for note-taking.  I am going to use Cozi to help with staying organized by sharing to do lists and calendars between devices.

https://evernote.com/

http://www.cozi.com/

I am also going to toss away all of my old papers, unused files, and free up room in my file cabinet to store technology items such as chargers, connectors, spare batteries, etc!!:)

It is going to be a great year!

We had a teacher do this last year since she had to move into a 1/2 classroom but still had to keep her full class load. So I guess she had to choose student space instead of filing cabinets...LOL! She is not totally paperless but she has made a great attempt. I look forward to seeing how well you handle this

glen_w

Susan,

My Technolution for this year involves our state science program. I've been invited to be part of the Science Core Academy training happening this summer. Middle School science educators will be coming to learn how to incorporate Common Core into their lessons. My Technolution is to convince all involved in the planning for this Academy to include a technology strand.

Please give me an AMEN if you think this should benefit all teachers.

JulieSzaj

AMEN!!!!!!

deb_norton

I'll second that AMEN!

glen_w

Julie and Deb, I will try to remember to let you know if I'm successful in including a technology strand. If you were in my shoes ... what do you think should be #1 at the top of the list?

AMEN and what a goal....I would provide examples of how science/common core/tech all work together so they do not see the addition as just one more thing for teachers to do. I find that it is more acceptable when it doesn't look like something separate...thoughts?

glen_w

Susan, In the words of a favorite LONG movie ... "So let it be written ... so let it be done."

I'm in agreement that the technology, science, and literacy components need to be integrated and tied directly into the core standards. I've taken notes of your suggestion and will be discussing them at our first planning meeting. Personally, I think technology should easily augment other instruction (not be an extra part of any lesson.)

More suggestions on what might be included in my meeting will be greatly appreciated!

glen_w

Update from our first meeting. This training will focus on using technology to more effectively engage students in learning science. Now it sounds like we've got a LOT of work to do so teachers feel like all four days are effective .

dentilatafa@hotmail.com

Hi Susan,

Interesting topic,,,

My technolution for this year will be, to use much more the tablet into my classroom,  Use much more tools from Microsoft and Intel.Im going to be part of Microsof Global Forum on March, Barcelona, Spain taking part of different webinars, and proffesional development in different away.  This year im going to have more technolution in my dairly work with students, and not only, but tools to share with my colleagues as well!  So, Coolaborate, share, evaluate will be main point of my work!!!

JulieSzaj

My New Year's Technolution(s) is to spend a LOT more time with my new devices, namely the fantastic Asus tablet I received from a very special group, and an Acer Chromebook I received for work. I  am working on on becoming a Google trainer and need to become more fluent with working in all things Google. Another resolution has to do with the curation task Susan and I are tackling this year.I signed up for a Curation MOOC course so I have another opportunity to learn lots of cool stuff and help our cause.

glen_w

Julie,

I'm interested in how your Chromebook delivers. I'm testing one at school and have mixed feelings so far. Please share your favs and dislikes as well.

JulieSzaj

Hi Glen,

I have to say I love my Acer Chromebook (C720P). I am finding myself reaching for it before any other device I use. Since we are in the process of becoming a Google certified organization this is as authentic as it gets!I have been weaning myself away from all things Microsoft for a while and haven't had many instances where II can't complete my tasks.

The start up time is incredible - 7 seconds!!! My Chromebook is up and running before the Dell laptop's spinning wheel stops spinning. Same for shutting down, click and it is powered off.

I did have a bit of a learning curve at first when I was looking for things in "My Documents" and realized that was no longer an option. When I need to download something I can choose to save the item to my Drive or keep it in the Download file. I am wondering how quickly I am going to run out of storage space in my Drive.

One glitch I have encountered is printing. Since I can't hook a peripheral device to it I had to set up cloud printing. At first this worked like a charm and I was absolutely tickled. However, over the last couple of days it hasn't worked, as all thing in Google Beta eventually do. I tried to print the other day and it showed my printer was offline when indeed it was not. I ended up having to fire up my Dell to print what I needed. I am hoping that was a one-time inconvenience and not the norm.

What have others experienced with a Chromebook? What are your thoughts about them Glen?

glen_w

Julie, my experience with a Chromebook is still rather limited. We have one in our department of 4 teachers. It is used by our aide and sometimes by students. I like how light it is (about the weight of a tablet.) I also appreciate that logging in goes directly to your Google account. I use Vernier software and probes in my science class. This brings me to my one frustration. The software for probes will only run on a Windows or Macintosh computer (desktop or laptop). If you find a solution for using Vernier probes with a tablet or Chromebook, I'd be THRILLED!

intelnoemi

Just as this year just begun, unity, cooperation and teamwork, help us to improve our profession, and for this we have a myriad of pedagogical tools undoubtedly ayudadara us to make better products and learning outcomes of our students. In this new year, I hope to use the software for free educational use and also provide my educational work equally Carries out activities for my students can integrate tics to their school work, my projects at school, shall integadas way areas and other school subjects. in various collaborative learning projects that present at the start of the 2014 school year.

OK...so I have still been thinking about my technolution and I think I have it...better late than never! I want to do a better job of managing my time. I am still thinking about tools to assist with that...any ideas?

cgardne

Here are some science apps that would help with STEM. Some are FREE and some with a cost. I’ve included the cost as of 1/21/14.

1. Chemist, iPad, Android tablet $4.99

This science app is one of the only virtual chemistry labs for tablets to conduct chemistry experiments and explore chemistry reactions with different lab tools.

2. Exoplanet, iPhone/iPad/iPod, Free

This science app, developed and maintained by a pro  fessional astronomer, is a highly visual and interactive catalog of all known exoplanets: Planets orbiting stars beyond our own Solar System. It is frequently updated whenever new discoveries are confirmed. An amazing model of the Milky Way lets students explore the universe all the way from the Solar System to the cosmic microwave background.

3. Gene Screen, iPhone/iPad/iPod, Free

Gene Screen allows students to learn how recessive genetic traits and diseases are inherited and how certain diseases are more prevalent in different populations. Gene Screen also provides information on some recessive genetic diseases and genetic screening programs. Gene Screen was produced by the DNA Learning Center

4. Max & Ruby Science Educational Games, iPhone/iPad/iPod, Free

Max & Ruby Science Educational Games will help young children become prepared for school with these science learning games for kids in Preschool and Kindergarten. Children join bunny siblings, Max and Ruby, at the local fair where they’ll teach them about physical science through guided narration and music, specifically the properties of liquids and the motion of objects. This app also includes a bonus game that allows children to drag and drop objects and characters into scenes from the popular television series, as well as tap them to see a surprise animation.

5. MS Life Science Buddy, iPhone/iPad/iPod, Android, $1.99

MS Life Science Buddy is a tool for learning middle school Biology. This app was designed by a teacher who has used all possible multimedia resources in the classroom for teaching regents curriculum. MS Life Science Buddy is not only an app for learning Biology and living environment, but also an app for teachers. Features include: Lessons on multiple topics, interactive quizzes by topic (with real regents questions), daily Biology and science news updates, Regents exams with key, videos from YouTube, and flash cards by topic.

6. Next Generation Science Standards, iPhone/iPad/iPod, Android, Free

View the Next Generation Science Standards in one convenient app; a great reference for teachers, parents and students to easily read and understand the standards. Quickly find standards by various topic arrangements or keyword search. The NGSS App is a product of MasteryConnect in partnership with the National Science Teachers Association.

7. Ocean Science, iPad,$2.99

The Earth has one big water system with many features, and this science app provides a journey deep into the sea. Students can learn the seven essential principles of Ocean Science with movies, 360° pictures, animations and motion graphics.

8. Science Mobile, iPhone/iPad/iPod, Android, Free Full articles require a subscription

The Science Mobile app lets users read summaries, and abstracts (subscribers can access full-text articles from Science, Science Translational Medicine, and Science Signaling); share articles, links, and job postings through Facebook, Twitter, and eMail; get the latest news at ScienceNOW; search job openings and tap other resources at Science Careers; access the Science weekly podcast and other multimedia; store content for reading without an internet connection.

9. Shout Science! iPad, Free

This science app is a comic storybook app for young readers (ages 7-11) about scientists and scientific discovery by Scott Dubois. Shout Science! consists of three narrative biographies that take place during the Scientific Revolution in Europe. This app was designed exclusively for the iPad and combines vertical scrolling panels with ambient animation, interaction, and sound to enhance reading comprehension. Each story also includes a supplemental page of reference images and timelines.

10. VideoScience, iPhone/iPad, Free

This science app provides a growing library of over 80 hands-on science lessons for home and the classroom. These short videos demonstrate inexpensive and easy to recreate experiments that are designed to inspire and excite kids of all ages. VideoScience is presented by Science House and the Science House Foundation.

smersand

My technoloution is to start experimenting with Augmented Reality, more specifically, I am going to overlay video book reviews using Layar. I had students start recording the reviews today, they were super excited! I can't wait to show them the results. Kids who have never spoken to me before asked if they could participate! Does anyone else have any ways they have used Augmented Reality either in the classroom or library?

Shannon

mcsweej

I techsolve to do some rudimentary experiments (I am a social scientist after all) with technology in the hands of true tech natives, my one and five year old sons. They already interact with tech in a way that I am astounded by, i want to see what I can learn from them and how. As for measurable and achievable on this goal - I will have to work that out. Great topic!

holmesg

My technolution is to create an online course.  I will also attend at least one webinar per week and share with my peers monthly, a classroom resource.

glen_w

Gail - be careful what you ask for. I was asked to create an online science course for my state's endorsement program. Now I'm also facilitating it. I LOVE the enthusiasm of my adult learners but realize how much time it takes me to complete each week's grading and communication. I am always looking for classroom resources so I'm sure your peers will be thrilled with this technolution.

cgardne

Gail, I'd also love to create an online course as well.  I was thinking about Digital Citizenship.  Just being the Sr Traner/lead facilitator for our eNetColorado's courses keeps me extremely busy.  Since we provide those courses in an online setting, I'm becoming more comfortable with the online portion and also our LMS.  There are some great updates within our platform area, so that has helped in many areas.  I also feel it's extremely vital to reply and continue to encourage our participants either weekly or every other week.  That does take time, but our participants really value that piece.  That's one thing, they say makes our courses so successful.  We tell our participants that we are there for them and they are now part of our family.  It's important to us to keep that close connection.

glen_w

Carolyn, you made an important point. All students in the class I am facilitating are very engaged. I, however, am making comments one to three times a week. So far, I have not had a student stop participating. I expect there will be non-participants because "life happens." Do you have suggestions on how to bring someone back into participation after they stop?