4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2014 6:51 PM by glen_w

STEM Snacks: Data collection and the Interactive White Board

glen_w

IWB_Data.jpg

This week my students collected data as they measured Oyster shells. (Just had to remind myself about the ocean since I live in Utah.) Students measured length, width, and the thickness of their shell. Students also measured the mass of their oyster shell. Each student came to the board and plotted the volume of their shell (calculated by multiplying the length, width, and thickness) compared with the shell's mass. Students were so excited to plot their data. When all data was plotted, I showed students what a “best fit line” would look like on their graph. We discussed how the “best fit line” inferred data from an unknown shell.

I decided to ask a few questions of my Intel Engage community members:

• How do you engage students in learning graphing and reading graphs?
      • What might I change to help my students better learn graphing concepts next year?
      • Is there a way to use this data in English / Language Arts?
        • Re: STEM Snacks: Data collection and the Interactive White Board
          mcsweej

I would say yes, you can use data like this in English and language arts - possibly even blend mechanics into a literature lesson by tracking article usage, direct obj etc in a particular chapter of a novel. You could also graph motivations or even build a graph of climbing action with specific interactions of the protagonist and antagonist as your data points.

As a history teacher, graphs and charts are wonderful ways to compare changes over time, and I loved using a smart board to have students engage with the chart and create it. I would often erase the actual whiteboard after each period and allow the next class to create new data points on the same chart. If I had it to do over - and now that i am no longer a face to face teacher, but all on line, I would wonder if there would be a way to have the smartboard collect the data points for each class and then save the file for comparison among different groups of students.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              glen_w

Jonathan, I'm liking the idea of tracking article usage in a novel. This reminds me of a student who copied her English essay into Wordle. When I talked with her about the project, I expected a response about making a cool cover page or something like that. I was surprised when she said she was looking to ensure she did not use "they" too often in the paper. I was surprised at her deeper thinking in terms of this tool's usage. I like the idea of collecting data points for all classes in a file. Now I'm wondering how this might be done. Has anyone collected this kind of data using an Interactive White Board? Inquiring minds want to know how it was done...

staceylazarus

Glen, Jermaine,

My mind is thinking of Plan B through G to answer Jermaine's question on collecting and combining data. Here are some thoughts. Only thoughts, don't know if they would fit your criteria and if they will actually work! I am using SMARTBoard and Microsoft Office for these thoughts.

1-Save each graph as a jpg and then place all on one page. Change level of transparency and move one on top of another. Make a "master" graph once all are aligned.

2-Does the SMARTBoard Math toolbar permit exporting of points from a graph? If so, export all into one file and then import onto a new graph.

3-Create an Excel file with the columns the same size as the rows. Color in your axes. Use a different sheet in the Excel Workbook for each class period. Create a master sheet. Project onto a white board and place dots that correspond to each data point on each sheet. The sheets will line up, and you can toggle between them to compare, or mark the board to create a master file.

Didn't make it to Plan G, but I hope these three might get you started. Thoughts?

Stacey

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      glen_w

Stacey, I'm looking for options E, F, and G . I like the idea of overlaying graphs to show all data. That might work for my class as shown in the example above. I do not know if it works for Jonathan's ideas as well. <Insert Mission Impossible sound> </Insert Mission/ Impossible sound> Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to plan how this process works for multiple Interactive Whiteboards (e.g. SMART, Promethean, Mimeo, etc.) Images accepted as evidence of your work.