4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2014 2:57 PM by glen_w

Give Content a Voice

lsrdhunter@msn.com

Have you ever made the following statement, “If only it could talk, I wonder what things would be said!”   The it could refer to a baby or other individual, an animal, an object, or a drawing.  By using software animation it is possible to put words in its mouth.

Talking animals or puppet apps like “Talking Tom” and "Talking Ben" are common iPad apps. But the star of the show is limited to the character found in the app.

"ChatterPix" is a FREE app for the iPhone or iPad that lets you take a photo and make it talk by superimposing a mouth line over your photo.  This app gives the user 30 seconds to record a message.  The lip syncing is automatic.  Once the message is recorded users can add stickers to the scene. Click the link below to see an example of a short clip I made with a photo of a tissue box.  Note... I added the eyes after I recorded the message. 

Flu Season - YouTube

There are two versions of this app- "ChatterPix" and "ChatterPix Kids", also called "ChatterKids". Both are free, but the ChatterPix has Social Sharing features activated, with one touch access to services like Facebook or YouTube. If you don’t want the Social Sharing use ChatterPix Kids (targeting children 13 and younger) instead where these features are not available.

There are many apps and web services that produce talking video clips.  "Face Changer Video" (a FREE android app on Google Play) and "Voki" (www.voki.com, a web service) are two additional examples.  What is your favorite app or website for producing talking characters?  If possible, please share a short clip in your post.  Some products have time limits on the length of the video output.  In that case consider using Windows Movie Maker or similar product to put more than one clip together for a larger project.

• Re: Give Content a Voice
          glen_w

Linda, I like this classroom idea for helping students find "voice" in the words they write. It also provides the opportunity to do "cartoon type" work as they use a non-human example. Because of district policies, the sharing option is not available. I'm looking for suggestions on how I can motivate my tech people to open up this kind of sharing.

lsrdhunter@msn.com

Glen… In the discussion titled “Using and Making Films in the Classroom” you mentioned it would be a great idea to do a student produced video on Science Lab Rules.  With “ChatterPix” you could give a voice to a beaker, test tube, or other item found in the lab.  The selected object could promote best practice for students working in a Science Lab.  I am sure the end result would be a major hit. 

As far as sharing the video clip… “ChatterPix” offers one option… if you select “Photo” the video is saved to the camera roll on the iPhone or iPad.  Later the iPhone or iPad can be connected to a computer and the file copied.   Another option is to select “Email” and send the video to yourself.  Using one of these two options avoids the use of a blocked social media site (like FaceBook or YouTube)  These suggestions may help while you explore ways to motivate your tech people to open up other options.

staceylazarus

Linda,

Great idea and good solution to get around social media issues. Blabberize is a web-based site that is similar.

Now my mind is wondering how "big" we can get with this on mobile devices :

Thought: Have several safety chatterpix made already. Film a student using their cell phone(chatterpix) to set up a lab station. Film this process using videolicious. Maybe time the chatterpix to comment on how well the student is doing.

Have you found serious or comedic safety films more effective?

Stacey

glen_w

Linda, I appreciate your suggestions with a "work around" on the social media aspect. Both suggestions might work within district guidelines. Now I've got to figure out where to fit this in (with all the curriculum that must be taught before state testing happens.)