2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2014 8:25 AM by tdiener

Necessary Evil

mcsweej

I personally am all for getting students away from Standardized Tests, but I also see the need for them. I am currently building content for a test prep course and was wondering what resources the Engage Community relied on in terms of helping students (preferably high school, but all ages may be helpful) to teach students how to be successful on "bubble" tests. I am wondering test strategies in general, as well as some good old fashioned reading comprehension, particularly in understanding the question, because I have found no matter how much you know, you will get the question wrong if you do not understand it.

• Re: Necessary Evil
          staceylazarus

Jonathan,

Great question and a concern for everyone. With all of the bookmarks I have collected over the years, I find myself at a loss to find "solid" evidence to answer your question.

From personal experience, I use the technique of after reading the question, if there are any words/terms I am not comfortable with, re-read the passage either without those words or with a substituted word that I do know. I even use this method when doing math problems. I ignore the numbers and concentrate on that I need to do. Then I go back and use the numbers.

Is there an official term for this removal or substitution of information? What methods do you currently use?

Stacey

• Re: Necessary Evil
            tdiener

The Elements courses with their emphasis on project based learning has a direct impact on standardized test performance. When students are able to think critically and independently they become better "test takers".