8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2014 12:03 PM by staceylazarus

What would you suggest?

Good morning:

If you had the opportunity to select breakout sessions for your favorite Conference, what would you like to see?  Here is Arizona, we are in the process of putting together our program for this coming June.  We have several topics already selected, but are looking for ideas for additional breakouts. 

What would you suggest?

Neil

• Re: What would you suggest?
          vkajones

I always love attending sessions on digital storytelling apps and anything that I can participate in hangs on activities. So I always love the BYOT sessions.

Vanessa

blancaedu

Neil, what about a session on the Thinking Tools and some uses in the classroom? I love the new Visual Ranking app and you may have some others by then. You don't mention how long those sessions will be - are they an hour or longer?

blancaedu

I'd also love to see a hackathon session but that's me being nerdy!

Blanca, I've never heard of a "hackathon" session.  What is that?

Nel

blancaedu

Hi Neil,

A hackathon is when a group of people get together to solve problems using code. Typically it's kind of an adhoc day where people get into groups and think of something they would like to be able to do "better" Then they may present their ideas to the rest of the groups and hash the idea out a bit more; maybe get more ideas, and then they code. A hackathon typically has people who know how to code so you may get "mini" lessons throughout the day and they'll spread the knowledgeable people around. It's a really fun activity to run for a school or even adults. Google runs hackathons every so often and we go to find solutions or create scripts for Google Apps. They can be thematic or focus on a particular language or tool. Hackathon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've always had a great time! Problem solving is right up my alley. The beauty is that everyone can contribute to the final result. I was with another school today that mentioned they were going to do a 24 hour hackathon and open it up to students. Fun!

By the way, if you ever want to see what the fuss of coding is all about just start here: Learn to code | Codecademy Online Tutorials I always get sucked in for a few minutes every time I do. Happy exploring!

Blanca

glen_w

Neil,

I always enjoy going to "hands on" workshop style sessions. My favorite sessions provide me the opportunity to learn software or an online tool. These sessions have time to use the tool and develop an application for the classroom. I do not require the session be focused on science. I look for ways to incorporate the tools into science.

staceylazarus

With technology there always has to be a Plan B and of course the educational buzz words of "differentiated instruction" seem to pop up every now and then. What I like to see at sessions is how to modify an application to fit multiple subjects and student learning styles, or to find alternative applications that can replace the "standard" one used.

This requires a good knowledge of Web 2.0 tools. Either using AllMyFaves or Go2Web20.Net or even a Google search ( similar PowerPoint) will give you quite a few to consider.

Enjoy the conference!

Stacey