0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2014 12:15 PM by mcsweej

How Did They do That? A distraction - and learning opportunity

mcsweej

I have noticed, as have many of you i am sure, that social media sites are filled with all types of personality quizzes (which muppet are you, what state should you actually live in etc). Today, Heard about a quiz on the radio, and the hosts were talking about how incredibly accurate it was. I got home and took this quiz and sure enough, one of the three cities possible for me was where i went to college and spent the best 15 years of my life (so far anyway).

Here is a link to the quiz, http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0. It was originally posted on for the New York Times website, but a great interview with the developer can be found The Man Behind The Dialect Quiz | Here & Now

Outside of being a fun distraction, I was thinking how this and other quizzes like it could be used in a classroom. Statistics jumped immediately to mind, but then I was thinking Human Geography, elementary social studies and possibly even Language Arts. Let me know if and how some of you, y'all, yinz or yous guys use this quiz for your classes.