2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2014 8:19 PM by glen_w

Intel Engage 1:1 Webinar Series: Funding with Purpose

blancaedu

Click here to view the archive recording.

To start off our Engage 1:1/BYOD series in 2014, Mary Howard, who joined me as co-host, and I held Funding with Purpose, with industry leaders and consultants on February 26th. They shared their expertise and insight on numerous topics related to funding including ERate, grants and school to home connections. The three presenters were:

• Robert (Bob) Sniecinski, E-Rate Advantage, who discussed ERate funding
      • Dr. Janet Perkins, The Academy for Advanced Telecommunications & Distance Learning at Texas A&M University, who shared information about grant funding and
      • Michael Flood, VP Education Markets, Kajeet, who shared the Kajeet solution supporting students at home

We will post the recorded link and presentation shortly. If you have found innovative ways to fund technology in your district, please share them with us in this discussion thread.

In addition, don't forget to visit Intel's sponsored site, K12Blueprint.com, where you can access valuable resources to support your technology initiatives including:

• BYOD
      • Common Core
      • Digital Curriculum
      • Personalized Learning
      • Professional Learning Communities
      • and more!
        • Re: Intel Engage 1:1 Webinar Series: Funding with Purpose
          mdconley57

The main discussion has been updated with the link to the webinar recording. Enjoy!

• Re: Intel Engage 1:1 Webinar Series: Funding with Purpose
            glen_w

Blanca,

I waited to respond because of proposed legislation here in Utah. The Speaker of the House proposed funding to place an individual device in the hands of ALL students. (I'm not sure if the wording included lower elementary or not.) Her proposed budget was about 400 million dollars. She was asked to scale back the price and it went down to $200 million. I understand that last night's budget discussions resulted in her being offered a maximum of $26 million. (I'm not sure what kind of devices that might purchase.) Needless to say, she withdrew her bill.

Do you think it is feasible for schools to obtain 1:1 devices from state or district monies?

Is it realistic to ask students to BYOD if over 60% are on free and reduced lunch?

Should schools in these situations look to private funding donors to provide the needed technology?