3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2014 10:07 AM by tdiener

Happy Birthday WWW!!

cgardne

Happy 25th birthday, World Wide Web! Please share a birthday wish to the World Wide Web.  I can't believe it's been 25 years ago.  What were you doing 25 years ago?

1989.....I was still teaching 3rd grade and had just signed up to be part of the Computers in the Classroom project.    Within the next couple years I began sending an email message to a school in the Mid-East.  It was a one sentence email that took 15 minutes to get sent via a 2500 baud modem, I think.  We thought that was fast at the time.

• Re: Happy Birthday WWW!!

1989 - Sophomore in high school.  I don't think my household had the world wide web until 1992-93.  It's been no turning back since then.  I had made the decision to be a choir director, and I agree Carolyn: doing ANYTHING on that "crazy fast" 14.4 modem took forever!  I'm curious - were there any educational resources 25 years ago that were usable for PK-12? 

cgardne

As I reflect back, about the only activity was creating a one to two sentence to the other school that we were connecting with.  Not much educational resources as all, other than students could connect via email with one another.  That was a new concept at that time.

We would sit in the back of the library and hook up the modem and wait for about 20 minutes for a simple 2 sentence email to be sent.  When we got the conformation that the email had been sent, we were so excited!!!

tdiener

Jermaine - A sophomore in high school in 1989! You were in the first batch of the Digital Natives! There were many educational resources back then; we thought those text only resources were sensational. Who knew!