10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2010 9:10 AM by mshomec1

A Questioning Toolkit

This site was posted on Twitter and I immediately thought about my Intel family.

What a great idea for school districts. It lists all types of questions, examples and ways to develop them. Do you know of any school districts that are already doing this? I do find that teachers love Essential questions when they are introduced to them in the Intel courses. (Disclaimer: I did not know there were four parts, but after researching more I found them so, you get them too )

http://www.fno.org/nov97/toolkit.html

http://www.fno.org/nov97/toolkit2.html Part Two

http://questioning.org/Q7/toolkit3.html Part Three

http://questioning.org/Q7/toolkit4.html Part Four

• Re: A Questioning Toolkit
          julesfischy

Jill- thanks for sharing.  I actually attended a workshop offered by Dr. Mackenzie here in Phoenix.  It was at that conference that I decided that I was ready to move into a role that allowed me to work with other educators. 

Question is always a skill that I am working on- I think that the more practice you have on creating questions the better you become - and looking at things multiple ways definitely helps.

Julia,

Do you find "pre Intel" teachers even know about the different types of questioning? I have found that most of the times questions of any type are never even listed in lesson plans anymore since we all seem to be driven by Comprehensive Curriculums and GLE's.

julesfischy

Jill - that is a varied answer.  I think that most teachers understand that questions can shape and influence their classroom, so by default they recognize that some questions are better than others. As to the degree that they understand different levels and how to effectively use them in the classroom - that is where I see the biggest benefit to how CFQ's are used and introduced in both the Essentials Course and Thinking with Technology can shape an educators thought.

NaomiHarm

In the multiple technology integration grants we are running in WI, we have a training extension to support the CFQ's in the Intel Teach Elements PBA and within Essentials and TWT to help educators find immediate success.  Educators like examples to support their extended learning and their student learning to challenge their thinking.  Because of this, I am attaching "HOTS" questioning list, Peer Coaching scavenger hunt document, moving to transformative level of  lesson plan development, lesson enhancement reflection, and the newly revised Blooms that I use exclusively with k-12 educators.  I consider these tools as my "tips and tricks" to pull out when teachers struggle with developing questions and questioning technique process- this way everyone finds success at varied levels in the developing and designing process of an effective lesson/unit of study.

Hope this attachments assist your efforts.

Valerie:

I had this graphic printed, and then laminated it to go on the wall in our lab. I have been giving a printed color copy to participants in the TWT trainings I do for a year or so, and they always appreciate it. Our discussions always turn to essential questions and other effective questioning skills, and this visual tool makes the discussions easier for teachers to analyze and then use. Thanks for posting it.

julesfischy

This is a great visual!  I always share something like this with the pre-service educators I work with. A colleague shared with me that she kept this in her lesson plan book so that she would ask students different types of questions.  It was a great reminder and a practice that I easily adopted and continue to share with the pre-service educators that I work with.

Jill,

Great post topic! Like Julia, I got to attend one of McKenzie's workshops where we were introduced to the types of questions. This information definitely brought me to another level of thinking and also provided insight on how teachers can improve the quality of instruction by implementing the questioning types.