7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2014 8:26 PM by glen_w

Get Outside

mcsweej

As a person very prone to getting spring fever, I am constantly trying to ind an excuse to get outside. If I can do this at work, even better. I found at my last Face to face job (I am full time online now) that the handheld GPS that my school provided were fun for the kids for a minute, but did not really have the staying power to create a full engaging project. Now that many districts are embracing mobile devices - what are some tools and projects that could get the students outside. I am curious about all subjects here (I taught Social Studies and used mapping as an excuse to get my feet muddy).

• Re: Get Outside
          mitzi.vincent

A fun and easy app to use with mobile devices is Scavenger Hunt with Friends.   You can create hunts with questions that students have to use their mobile device to answer by documenting with pictures.  Also Socrative would be great to use outdoors.

JulieSzaj

Geocaching is a definite MUST! There are several free apps available. If you look, there might even be a book geocache available in your area. Instead of finding trinkets, you find favorite books with reading journals.  If there isn't one in your area, maybe you could start one!

JulieSzaj

At every school where I taught I either started a classroom garden (TONS of math opportunities as well as science) or we adopted part of the road in front of the school for trash cleanup. I even had parents volunteer to help supervise the kids when we did our clean up.

Jonathan,

We have a couple of ponds at our school. We use them and the surrounding area to create eco-columns (combination terrarium/aquarium) using plastic bottles or bowls. The students use digital cameras/iPads to document the flora and fauna and status of their eco-columns. One of my students spotted a Polyphemus moth laying eggs. We collected some of the eggs and they have since hatched into caterpillars. I will post some photos soon.

We also have a water test kit that we use to test the pond water for various chemicals.

The student love visiting the ponds and observing their eco-columns.

glen_w

Jonathan,

Teachers at my school have used GPS units in the following ways:

1. Solve math problems at each location to determine the coordinates for the next point. Teachers then had students submit the following as evidence:
                    • Upload the GPS trail and see if it matches the expected route.
                    • Submit the order of "sites visited" to identify accuracy in calculations.
                  2. Go from one "GeoCache location" to another on the school grounds to learn latitude and longitude. Show their track to the teacher - it should be a block outline of our school name's Initials.

I, unfortunately, have been unable to find a way to tie the GPS into our state's Science core. When I do, I'll come up with more ideas .