12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 1:30 PM by vkajones

Learning Pathways-April-July 2014- Poetry SLAMMM

vkajones

bunnyatwork_small.jpgIn an effort to personalize your professional development; empower you to be creative and innovative; and continue our literary theme, we are promoting National Poetry Month. National Poetry Month is a celebration of poetry first introduced in 1996 by the  Academy of American Poets as a way to increase awareness and appreciation of poetry  in the United States.

During our POETRY SLAM, we will highlight a different form of poetry.  Share as many poems as you wish. Also include how you use poetry with your students. Share any outstanding or interesting poems that your students have created.

There will be two drawings for this thread. The person that receives the MOST likes will win a prize as well as the winner of our usual drawing.

Participate in our Learning Pathways Thread between April  21, 2014 and July 30, 2014 to be entered into a drawing for an Intel Grand Prize

Note: This drawing will only become active when a minimum of 10 participants respond, which means in some cases, the drawing will take place after the above mentioned date. For a complete description and eligibility of Engage community drawings, click on the Intel Bunny Person.

Mother’s Day is coming up, so what a great time to write your mother or loved ones a poem.

We encourage our international audience to participate also!

1st Featured Poems: Bio Poems

2nd Featured Poems: You Choose- Show us what you GOT!

• Re: Learning Pathways-April-June 2014- Poetry SLAMMM
          vkajones

How to Write a Biopoem

(Line 1) First name

(Line 2) Three or four adjectives that describe the person

(Line 3) Important relationship (daughter of . . . , mother of . . . , etc)

(Line 4) Two or three things, people, or ideas that the person loved

(Line 5) Three feelings the person experienced

(Line 6) Three fears the person experienced

(Line 7) Accomplishments (who composed . . . , who discovered . . . , etc.)

(Line 8) Two or three things the person wanted to see happen or wanted to experience

(Line 9) His or her residence

(Line 10) Last name

• Re: Learning Pathways-April-June 2014- Poetry SLAMMM
            vkajones

Simba Marley

Handsome, Spirited, Loving

Daughter of Vanessa, Brother of Precious Jewel,  Grandson of Mildred

Loves Beggin Stripes, Greenies,  Chicken, Digging Holes in the yard, Taking LONG Fast Walks and his sister Precious

Hates Loud Noises, his crate and Coming inside

Fears strangers and not being able to sleep in Mom's bed

Completed 1doggie training course, can hear someone two blocks away, Protects his Mom and Sister

Collects, Digs holes and hides his Milk Bone Dog bones in the yard

Born and lives in Austin, Texas

Jones

s and p.jpg

• Re: Learning Pathways-April-July 2014- Poetry SLAMMM
              vkajones

Thanks to everyone who shared their Bio Poems. Next on the list is.... Show us what you got. Post your favorite poem type. Be Creative!

Vanessa

Here are some poems my students wrote over the past two years:

I Am poem:

I am special cause you helped me and supported me when I started singing and daring cause  you encouraged me to take risks

I wonder if your love is stronger than Atlas's ability to hold up the world

I hear crying cause I do it every day of my life because of how hard it is but when your with me it's so much easier

I see unicorns and alicorns because you create my childhood memories like watching episodes with me

I want you to recover from your plastic surgrey so when we go to Main Event we can have so much fun together

I am special cause you helped me and supported me when I started singing and daring cause you encoraged me to take risks

I pretend that I will be able to be a famous solo artist cause then you can be my aduience cheering my every word

I feel that you know what I'm going through because you have been there when I needed you most like when you hepled me through my sore

I touch your hand when I'm scared because once I know that I'm safe I'll stay in your hand forever

I worry that you won't ever be able to recover from your pain and I want you to ask me if you need my help

I cry because I might never follow my dreams and you'll never hear my true voice

I am special cause you helped me and supported me when I started singing and daring cause  you encoraged me to take risks

I understand that you are supporting me in every way you can because you love me

I say that you are the best mom in the world because you care for me

I dream that I will become a chef cause I want to have a great career in your footsteps

I try to get better at cooking because I love doing it with you

I hope that I will be able to have a sister my age cause I want a friend to love me just as much as I love you

I am special cause  you helped me and supported me when I started singing and daring cause you encoraged me to take risks

Haiku

Mint Leaves

Mint Leaves smell of joy.

Delight is inside the leaves,

It is hard to find.

Animals are trouble

leaving the farmer's land

as rubble.

Being herbivores isn't that easy

awake and eating

the entire night

asleep and quiet

when the day is light

When the grass grows tall

can't resist

dinnertime

can not be missed!

Down here

is safe

up there is not

down here I will not get caught

I'm related to a hare, and my ears are as tall as a bear. What am I?

Rocks

bumpy,slippery

cracks,forms,destroys

kids,landforms,outdoors,walked on

entertains,feeds,wets

soft,smooth

sand

Cave Kiss!

Drip, drop! Drip drop, waterfall.

Refreshing fun in the sun,

Cool cold water!

Drip Drop!!!

shape poem.jpg

holmesg

Harmony

melodious, lively, joyous

daughter of my sensitive child

loving nature, Disney or out for a ride

happy to go, excited when there and sad to leave it behind

reptiles, roller coasters and spooky houses are fears unsettling to my mind

inter peace discovered helps me erase the tears

I lay my head on my pillow to sleep and forget about my fears

dreaming about Northampton Drive and the pride that lives within

Walking tall, fearless, stringing chords constructed with the stoke of a pen

Holmes

264553_787329338643_6535865_n.jpg

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    vkajones

Since April is Poetry Month... Let's keep the poetry going. Try Free Verse!