37 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2014 5:53 PM by glen_w

STEM snacks – Engaging students using Google Drive

glen_w

Google_Form.jpg

For shttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51u6rAlR8NL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpgeveral years, we have been promised district student Google Apps. This became a reality this year. The science team at my school recently discussed how to implement more Google Drive options with our students. This month, I have been using Google Forms for student work submission. As I've used Google Forms, I have come to appreciate them more. I find it easier to read student answers. More importantly, students really enjoy submitting work electronically. I also appreciate saving yet another tree on Planet Earth – think The Lorax!

My efforts made me wonder how others use Google Apps. Please share your experiences with the community:

1. What Google App can you NOT live without?
      2. Explain how that Google App is used by you and/or your students.
      3. What is your favorite collaboration experience using a Google App?

I look forward to hearing how you engage students with technology using Google Drive tools.fun

• Re: STEM snacks – Engaging students using Google Drive
          mcsweej

I am a huge fan of Google Voice. Teaching online, communication is key! Voice lets me text my students, keep contacts in order and have an easily accessible catalog of all contacts made with students and parents. It even sends voice mail directly to my email. My life would be a lot more annoying with out it for sure.

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Our district has provided student logins for google drive and this year my students and I have used google docs and spreadsheets extensively. Students record much of their science data and quite a bit of their math using google spreadsheets, and they do a lot of collaborative writing with google docs. Also, many of my assignments are accessible to the students through google docs. The other main online platform my students use is a wiki, and we are trying to find the best blend of both the wiki and google docs.

One issue we have had is that if the students do not use Chrome, google drive features are not always fully functional. Is this because the other browsers are not updated, or just because they are not chrome?

glen_w

Eric,

I've also observed challenges using Google docs in different browsers. Our tech indicated my classroom machines are too old to use the current Chrome browser. Lately, our machines have been crashing when using Firefox. Most of my students end up using computers outside of the classroom to do more detailed doc work.

How do you propose I request "Wiki" approval from my district. Currently it is categorized as "public publishing" which is not allowed for any student work. This applies to all Wikis - even if a password is required.

staceylazarus

Glen,

If you are a Google App school, have the students create electronic portfolios and a website through Google. The website can then be set for comments (with or without approval).

Another thought, and I will be posting in a day or two my Technophobe on it, is to use Padlet with comment approval and private.

As for your Wiki concern, is it password protect to comment or to view or both?

Stacey

glen_w

Stacey,

I know how much I use Google Apps. You've made me ponder which apps students are allowed to use. I'd LOVE to help them create websites. I've figured out how to help them save work to their digital portfolios. Several students were surprised they could create folders and name them based on the class the work was for.

My district's policy might not allow comments (even with approval - I've got to check on it.) I have used Padlet with teachers. The last time I tried using Padlet on a different wireless access, it was blocked. I've requested the change - but it has not happened yet.

It would be in violation of current district policy to publish any student work to a wiki. (With or without a password requirement for the wiki.) I've enjoyed being in meetings where teachers and administrators are told "here's a great way to share student work..." I then gently remind the presenter (often a district administrator) that the proposal violates district policy. The last administrator said "I think that should be changed!" My response was "DOH!" (I've only been trying to accomplish this for about six or seven years now.) I figure this is to teach me patience .

Glen,

Why would publishing to google drive not be considered public publishing as well? Is it because the students use google apps through the district? Our district has as part of the student registration process a section that requires a parent signature allowing student work to be published online. In addition, we send a release form allowing the same thing, as well as for the students to be photographed and videotaped. How does the district deal with wikis that students create on their own and use for school? Are you restricted from allowing students to use wikis that they set up for school use?

Do you also have restrictions for sites such as Edmodo, Animoto, Glogster, Voice Thread, and blogging?

We have our share of restrictions, prohibitions, and blocked sites, but we have actually been encouraged to use wikis with our students. We keep them private, do not allow access to users outside of the immediate family and restrict the type of info added to the wiki.

I LOVE this visual of using Google Drive with Students Awesome Visual on How to Use Google Drive with Students ~ Educational Technology and Mobile Learning - What is your fav feature to use with your students?

glen_w

Susan,

The graphic is a great way to see the abilities of Google Drive. My school science team uses the collaboration aspect of Google Drive all the time. (I'm guessing I access my Drive at least three times an hour on most days.)

When working with students, I use Google Forms most. (My students, however, create collaborative docs and presentations to share with me.)

I hope JulieSzaj will share with us how teachers she sees are implementing Google Drive.

JulieSzaj

Thanks for the tag Glen!

As a trainer, we use docs, forms, slides, and spreadsheets frequently. By using them in training, the teachers get a great opportunity to "practice" using each app and feel much more confident when using them with their students.

I do have to admit that I am a "stickler" with the teachers about keeping their Drive space organized (same for bookmarks too!). I feel it is so important to create an organizational system that works for each individual so they don't waste precious time trying to find a doc they created. Many don't appreciate it at first, but after working with Drive for 2 years during training they always appreciate it.

I have to say that most of my teachers use Google apps with their students now. I just love visiting them in their classrooms and seeing how flawlessly the students can create, collaborate, and  use each app. I am also thrilled with the reduced use of paper in our eMINTS rooms!

glen_w

Julie,

I appreciate you reminding us of the importance of organizing our Google Drive. After teaching that to my school's science team, we always hyperlink documents to related documents in other parts of our shared drive folders. For example, our 7th grade science folder has a "scope and sequence sub-folder" with sub-folders for each standard. The standard's scope and sequence document has hyperlinks to activities, forms, and assessments that are used for that standard. Each of these other documents is in their own appropriately nested sub-folder. I've attached a screenshot of our Activities sub-folder for Standard 4. Note the highlighted breadcrumb trail. One of the teachers is challenged to remember where things are (even with organization.) This is why we always hyperlink documents.

Breadcrumb.jpg

I'm interested in knowing if you and others explain to teachers the difference between "uploading a document" and "converting a document." I noted that when I convert my uploaded documents (so they are native Google document format) the document size does not count against my total Google Drive space.

How much space have you or staceylazarus saved using this method?

tdiener

I can’t imagine teaching without Google Apps. One of my favorite Google Apps is Google Moderator. Google Moderator is an under promoted and under used tool; very effective for consensus building. https://www.google.com/moderator/ . I’ve used it with students, teachers and administrators. I found it most helpful to help write technology plan vision statements.

Sometime ago, I posted a document about using Moderator you might want to view it: http://engage.intel.com/blogs/tom/2009/04/07/google-moderator

I just did a quick YouTube search and wow what did I find? One of our Engage Moderators, Shannon Mersand, has a wonderful Google Moderator posted. If you can’t see her embedded YouTube video in this discussion try this link: http://youtu.be/v7JF79w2Ykc

We have had google apps for students in my school for a couple of years now.  I was so excited at first and started having my students turn in forms, tests, and assignments via google docs.  I quickly realized that it was extremely hard to manage all of the docs and I felt very unorganized.  Until... I discovered a google add on script called Doctopus!  Doctopus is like a document organizer for teachers! It saves time and makes it so easier to check and grade students work.  Doctopus copies and hands out google drive files that are listed in a google sheet.  This way the teacher can look at the answers and information that students have submitted via a google spreadsheet that is organized instead of 25 different documents.  Amazing!  Here is a how to sheet: Doctopus How-to - Google Docs and a Youtube video: The New Doctopus & Add-ons Gallery - YouTube 

Here is a google doc that contains links to surveys my students have created to find out what people think about certain ideas. If you have the time, please take their surveys.

Student Science Surveys

glen_w

I've taken the surveys.

1. I'm a little confused by the Time Travel question. I suggest your students reword the question so that it relates to the title of their survey. I was unable to answer that question.
                                      2. The Bigfoot link takes me to a mythwiki.pbworks.com. This site requires a user name and password. I, therefore, was unable to answer this question as well.

I like the format of the student questions. I was most impressed with the expectation of answers needing to include evidence. I hope you don't mind ... I just tweeted this out.

I shared your post with the students. The Bigfoot link has been fixed and the time travel survey updated:

Time Travel Survey

Bigfoot Survey

Below is a dialogue of students over the topic

Animal Mothers Will Reject Their Babies If Touched By Human Hands

Take The Survey Here

Harsha: I they will reject their babies because I have seem some who have fallen out of there nest and I think that is what happens.

Lilo: Harsha, I believe you are correct.

Lilo, why do you believe Harsha is correct?

Reese: I know that is not true because Jessie and I found a bird nest and touched the babies, the next day her mom looked to see the nest and the mom was feeding the babies and flew out at Jessie's mom's face.

Harsha: Maybe the scent came off the babies or maybe there could be certain types of animals that don't follow that rule. Since some science and language (in the English alphabet) rules have been broken. This website talks about this topic:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-birds-abandon-young-at-human-touch/

Also how do you know those are the same birds?

tor: which animal are we talking about?

Harsha: Any

Logan: the scent of the baby animal will change to human scent and the mother will not believe the baby is hers and will stop feeding the baby and the baby will die  :<(

Marc: The birds don't care that they smell different. In truth they can't smell very well.

Harsha: I agree. I heard that vultures have a good sense of scent but other birds don't don't use there sense of smell since it is not very strong.

Here are all the websites I found:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/babybird.asp

This website concludes that this is false.

Please give a summary

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-birds-abandon-young-at-human-touch/

Please give a summary

http://mentalfloss.com/article/29055/if-you-touch-baby-bird-will-its-mother-really-abandon-it

Please give a summary

http://www.livescience.com/33620-baby-bird-touch-mother-abandon.html

Please give a summary

Also other sites that have parts about this topic (there are too many and not mainly about this) that I did not include but also say that this is false.

So in conclusion I would say that:

Animal Mothers Will Reject Their Babies If Touched By Human Hands

Is false!

will animal mothers reject baby if touched by human.PNG

glen_w

Eric,

Thanks for posting the updated survey links. (Both work fine now.) I really appreciate you sharing your student discussions and work samples with the community. These truly demonstrate how students can be challenged to think deeper. I hope my post did not discourage your students - they are doing fantastic work! I look forward to future examples from them.

We are grateful for feedback. Here is a discussion about whether ghosts exist. I am trying to get the students to state the evidence that would support their beliefs and try to determine the reliability of their sources.

Are Ghosts Real?

Krissy: yes I think they are real because there are bad spirits and good spirits.

Marc : I think they aren't

Pj: I believe that they are real because of the holy ghost.

Drew: I believe that only souls are true but not ghosts.

DALE: i dont think that ghosts are real but i believe angels are real!!!!!

Harsha: I don't think ghosts are real because they don't follow the rules of science, but there are rules that have exceptions so this could be one of them. We all have our own religions and beliefs. And a lot of people say if you believe in yourself you could anything. So maybe (but I really don't know if this is true)If you believe in yourself believing ghost are real maybe they could be real.

Debs: I believe ghosts are not real. In my opinion, it just can't be possible where a dead body can turn up into a ghostly figure when the body is dead. It just doesn't make sense. However, if you really think so, well then okay. You never know when that might happen.

Nicole: I think souls are real because there is no proof of ghosts!!!!!!!!!!!! It is just like saying something can come back to life which in my opinion is not possible.

Lilo: Ghosts ARE real.

Nick: I think they are because they are invisible so we wouldn't see them.

Maya: I think they could be, because once I saw a tv show about the most haunted places in America, and it looked pretty believable, but I am also aware that they could've stretched the truth and made it seem like there was ghosts, so really I'm not sure.

Josh: I say no if you die your spirit goes to heaven so false!

Harsha: Well maybe ghosts could be real because for else could we blame for when there's a mess no one knows who did.

Drew: I agree Harsha

Rohit: I think it's just religious beliefs. It doesn't seem believe able because of the question of how a dead body produce a figure that can almost do anything.

Addie- I really don't know, but I agree with Rohit. How could ghosts go through walls. I do believe in souls living on though.

Neha K : I agree with Rohit and Addie . How can ghosts just appear and disappear. Also a lot of "ghost" sightings are fake. Check out this webstite by clicking here!

Rothman: very interesting discussion. Now go beyond opinion and cite some reliable sources that can give you scientific support.

glen_w

I look forward to hearing how your students do with providing reliable evidence of their sources. That is a great extension of the activity.

Something I have found out of the years, and has been reinforced this year, is that, even in the face of solid scientific evidence, students and teachers are reluctant to give up misconceptions that they hold. Three examples:

1)  Animal mothers will reject their babies if touched by humans. The student leading this concluded that was not true. We discussed this in class and talked about how mothers may abandon their offspring if there is a significant disturbance, but not because they were touched by human hands. Nevertheless, some students and at least one teacher refused to change their minds because they observed the rejection first hand. I asked how they knew the rejection/abandonment was the result of a human touching them, but they could not say for sure.

2) Excess sugar causes hyperactivity. Despite significant evidence to the contrary, many of the classroom parents, the teacher I work with, and many of the students still take stock in this. Some students, with my support, argued that sugary foods/candy/soda are are often associated with activities that lend themselves to extra activity. There is some evidence that there is a behavioral effect in some children, but for most, this idea is busted scientifically (but not psychologically).

3) Blood is red until it makes contact with oxygen - then it turns blue. Oxygenated blood and deoxygenated blood are different shades of red, but not blue. Even after discussing the info in a website such as Is Deoxygenated Human Blood Blue I have students who don't believe it because "they can see that their veins are blue and that is how they are drawn in all the pictures."

I tell the students that there are times when I have believed something to be true only to find out that I was wrong, and that's OK as long as I allow myself to change my belief. Even scientists find out they are wrong when new evidence comes in; that's a big part of science. But you have to be willing to change your mind based on the new evidence.

glen_w

Eric, When my Biology students dissect organisms, I am careful to NOT get the injected organisms. I have experienced the same misconception about blue blood that you mention. The injected organisms have a red rubber/plastic in the arteries and a blue rubber/plastic in the veins. I've determined it is easier to not see these colored blood carriers than to try and explain why it is still wrong. I understand why the colors are used but students struggle with the concept.

What other misconceptions have you noted students (or fellow teachers) have difficulty rejecting in the face of evidence?