16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2014 7:00 PM by diana_M

Intel Teach Live- May 2014... Are there secrets to grant writing?

vkajones

bunnyatwork_small.jpg

Click here to view the archive recording

Have you ever wondered how some people have no problems receiving grant funding for innovative ideas and projects, while  others have no luck? 

Are projects or ideas that enrich collaboration and communication and spark creativity and empower students more likely to be approved? Are there tips and tricks to grants approvals?  What are some things that you have found to be successful in getting funding for your classroom’s instructional tools grants?

What are the secrets to grant approvals?

Share your ideas between and May 5 and June 18 to be entered into a Choose Your Prize Drawing of a prize worth up to 200.00.

Choose your prize:

You now have the opportunity to choose your own prize. If we draw your name for this thread you will then have the opportunity to choose what prize you would like to have for your classroom or instructional practices use. We will contact you and you will have a choice from a variety of prizes. After you choose your prize, you would need to return to this thread and post what you chose and how you plan on implementing it in your classroom or with other educators. After you have completed your usage post, we will send you the prize of your choice.

Note: This drawing will only become active when a minimum of 10 participants respond, which means in some cases, the drawing will take place after the above mentioned date. For a complete description and eligibility of Engage community drawings, click on the Intel Bunny Person.

• Re: Intel Teach Live- May 2014... Are there secrets to grant writing?

Hi everyone!  My name is Julie Hildebrand, and I'm excited to be presenting during the grant writing webinar on Tuesday!  Hope to see you there!!

holmesg

I think one important thing to have when writing a grant is a clear vision.  If you do not know where you are going, you will be all over the place with your details.  You should start by asking yourself why am I applying for this grant and what do I want my outcome to be. . . . Just my thoughts.  I am looking forward to attending the webinar with Julie to see if I am on the right track!

lwenske

Hi, Everyone,

I'm Lisa, and I'll be briefly co-presenting, this evening, about a few grant opportunities, as well as my most recent grant attempt at ThankAMillionTeachers.com.  Please see the information below to vote for my grant or consider submitting your own proposal for future voting rounds.  Thanks so much!!!  I look forward to hearing from Julie and Dr. Lisa, tonight---soooooo great----ideas for funding----couldn't be a better topic!

lisa

Visit this link:  https://www.thankamillionteachers.com/vote-for-a-proposal/vote-for-a-proposal-form/https://www.thankamillionteachers.com/vote-for-a-proposal/vote-for-a-proposal-form/
              Then, Search and Vote:

--Enter Wenske (with a capital W) in the last name field, and click, the GRAY GO button.

--Allow page to refresh or reload.

--Once page reloads, scroll to bottom of page, and see my entry:  L. Wenske...

--Scroll back up, and enter your email address, check the appropriate box(es), and enter the CAPTCHA.  Request a new CAPTCHA, if you can't read the one provided.

--Scroll back down, and click the RED VOTE button.

--Share via Social Media or with anyone you think may vote.

PLEASE CONTINUE to VOTE DAILY THROUGHOUT MAY.

*Please vote for "L. Wenske, Clayton Elementary, Austin, TX, Infinitely Inspiring—First Graders are always…"

*If I end up as 1 of the top 6 vote earners in the SouthCentral Category, in May, my classroom earns $2,500 towards the purchase of iDevices.

Thanks for your help!!  Really, it means a lot to me, to my students, and to all of my future students. 

Vote for a Proposal | Thank a Million Teachers

www.thankamillionteachers.com

Vote for a ProposalTime to vote! Because of your efforts we’ve...

http://www.thankamillionteachers.com/

Thank a Million Teachers

NASCAR driver Kasey Kahne helps Farmers Insurance Thank a Million Teachers! Read more.March Grant Awardees Announced! See who won!Actor/Comedian Jack Black wants teachers across the nation to get the “thank you” they deserve. See the...

THANKAMILLIONTEACHERS.COM

lwenske

Hi, Everyone,

I appreciate very much that you were all kind enough to vote and humor me as I discussed my mission to earn the grant via ThankAMillion Teachers.  Your support, encouragement and kind words were AWESOME!!!  I did end up earning the grant, and I am forever indebted to each of you for your support and for allowing me to use this community as a resource to share and elicit support.  It was a HUGE learning experience, but, also, an excellent one, as earning extra technology for the classroom is just absolutely super amazing!! 

Thank you, all!

lisa

Please consider applying for a ThankAMillionTeachers grant---they are awesome!!! 

Hello everyone, I enjoyed sharing ideas for great grant writing through DonorsChoose.  I look forward to seeing all the great things you do.  Please remember to visit the partner funding opportunities at the link below to find extra help with getting your grants funded quickly. 

Partner Funding Opportunities – DonorsChoose.org

mdconley57

The main post has been updated with the archive recording link. Enjoy!

lwenske

Thank you, Marshal, for all that you do for all of us in the community and in our own. 

Plus, the live recordings help so much so that we can go back and review what we may have missed or possibly already forgotten (though I may be the only one whose memory is seemingly subpar lately.  ); plus, it's so easy to share the recording links to those of our colleagues who didn't attend the webinar, but could greatly benefit from the content.    

I will definitely spend some time submitting grants over the summer with all of the great tips from the webinar!!

lwenske

Usually, at the end of a schoolyear, I am feeling extremely overwhelmed and lacking any extra time to do much at all.  Luckily, Vanessa asked me to share at this webinar.  I thank her for that, because, honestly, I probably would have skipped the webinar (I'm sorry to say that!) due to lack of time to get everything else done.  This webinar had such great ideas and pointers for how to effectively write grants, get people to notice or want to help you with your grant, and specifics for particular grants we all know about.

I'm not sure if there are really specific idea types that donors and funders are looking for...  I do believe that what Diana McMillan mentioned at the grant--that you must show need and how you plan to use your items is huge.  I think that's one reason my A+ FCU grant was also funded this year.  (It's been a SUPER EXCITING time these last 6 week!!)

I do think that projects and ideas that enrich collaboration and communication and spark creativity and empower students are probably more likely to be approved; but, of course, I have no evidence of that.  This is something I've struggled with as I am beginning to work on a very large grant.  Creativity and Originality are a big portion of the scoring for the review panel.  However, I was wanting to go for, essentially, desk top computers, that my school desperately needs.  I can argue how creatively we'll use them, BUT, when you talk about iPads and other devices, the creativity and originality automatically sounds more new age, more creative and innovation.  So, this is a bit tough for me...  I understand why creativity and originality are important, BUT, if we need basic tools, we need basic tools.  For me, it's like having a student create a huge diarama or extensive book report over a very short book; if the child is a struggling reader, they need to be spending tons of time reading.  Tons!  But, sometimes there are students reading 1 book at a time, for a long time, and then spending tons of time doing an enrichment project for that one book.  If the goal is for the child to improve in reading, the child needs to be reading--not necessarily spending all of her/his time building a super original and creative diarama and writing a lengthly book report.  I have nothing against either of those; they can both be fantastic enrichment opportunities; however, instruction needs to match what each child needs.  So...if my school needs desktops, I'd like to ask for those.  I can argue why we need them.  I can argue how they'll be used originally and creatively; but, I see how I can make more of a creative/original argument for asking for iDevices...so we'll see.

Tips I've found helpful this year, in the past, and from the webinar.  Explain what you need and why you need it.  Explain how you'll use it, and how it'll benefit your students, their achievement and the community and possibly the future as a whole.  I'm not an expert though.  I've just had really recent fantastic luck!!! 

Thank you all for you help and understanding and support. 

lisa

I came across this site http://www.getedfunding.com/ - Has anyone used it before? Any feedback?

diana_M

I have recently started having luck with grant writing and have written and won several small grants.  This year I won 5 grants.  My school PTA offered an opportunity and I won.  I have won the last three years using the A+ Federal Credit Educators Grant.  I won small grants with PetSmart for pet supplies and seeds and plants from the Wildflower Center.  My school community supports donors choose which is so easy!  I won digital cameras, a mini iPad, and an iGO digital microscope, and a lending library (books/cd's) to share with parents, etc...

I have learned some tips:

Catchy Title

Clear Vision

Read the Requirements closely and stick to the rules

Show a Need

Be passionate...you are the best advocate for your classroom and your children!

Ask for help when needed

Sometimes it helps to ask for smaller amounts......especially if it is just for one class!