15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2014 3:24 PM by steveburt

Student Response System

mitzi.vincent

What's the best student response system?  I am always on the search for a student response system that is free,easy to use and allows for collaboration. Suggestions appreciated. 

• Re: Student Response System
          Bonnie Feather

My experience is with those which come along with an Interactive Whiteboard. Are you looking for one which is standalone? I really did love the Activotes which worked with my Promethean software.

I think you need to check out the software no matter which one you look at. The ability to answer more than multiple choice, yes/no, true/false questions is helpful. You want a system which allows text response, numeric response, and will save responses for you in a spreadsheet so you can use it for re-teaching prescriptively to individuals as well as grading if needed.

I'm hoping others will chime in here with their experiences!

~Bonnie

glen_w

Mitzi,

I found a FREE student response system that is quite easy to use! Plickers uses printed sheets for student voting. I print on cardstock to make the student response device stiffer. A fellow teacher laminated his student Plickers and each was taped to the back of their notebook. Students hold up their Plicker (with the letter choice of their answer facing up) as the teacher uses the Plicker app on his/her Android or iOS. Student scores are quickly entered in as the device camera scans the room. I've successfully scanned eight student responses at once with my device. I understand that Plickers is doing an upgrade and will remain free for teachers to use. (The only cost I've seen so far is if you purchase pre-printed laminated cards.)

Has anyone else used Plickers before? I'm interested in hearing of successes and challenges associated with this tool by others.

Tony_Gilbert14

glen_w, thanks for this resource. I have seen them mentioned a few times on Twitter by other student response systems such as Socrative and Exit Ticket. I have not tried them, but I have just printed the cards and will try it out in the next few days and give you some feedback. :-)

glen_w

Tony,

I hope you find Plickers as useful as I have. When I share the resource with teachers, they are so excited to use them in classes. My frustration is there are only multiple choice answer options. I'm hoping someone can help me determine the best way to use this solution as a method of identifying deeper thinking by students.

Tony_Gilbert14

Hi glen_w, I have tried Plickers at college but the live function does not seem to work correctly on the browser... do you have an issue with this? It works perfect at home. Asked IT Techs to have a look at possibly the firewall but nothing... I am using Android, the iPad version is too buggy.

Cheers

glen_w

Tony_Gilbert14 poses an excellent question. I've not seen problems due to a firewall with my somewhat limited Plickers experience. I have tested Plickers in five different districts. Perhaps the biggest challenge of a test came when at our State Office of Education building. They have a VERY strict firewall and I was on their Guest network. I was successful in using an iPad as well as helping others learn how to use the Plickers app. I'm interested in hearing about others who have an experience like yours. I would hope the company is responsive in solving issues and helps grow this tool for teachers to use.

mitzi.vincent

Plickers had an update it has some new features. I also like Socrative and really enjoy Kahoot.

Jane Trotter

Check out classflow.com.  It's outstanding and free! https://classflow.com

Tony_Gilbert14

glen_w and for anyone else. I have spent a lot of time with Plickers and my IT team to try and solve the issue of the live view not actually working. It appears that the android fetches a completely different request to apple which results in a block by the firewall. Apple seems to be working but until Plickers sort the issue of Android requesting the same url twice then some colleges / schools will not be able to use this piece of software.

I agree with the response systems mentioned above; Classflow is phenomenal, Socrative is great, Kahoot is fun, Plickers is doable. There is also Poll Everywhere that works in a BYOD environment. If you use Socrative, you may want to look into the question bank as many of the assessments seem to be very well put together. Socrative Garden | Growing 21st Century Skills

steveburt

Office Mix is a free add-in for PowerPoint that adds some really interesting functionality including questions, quizzes, embedded video and integration with content from Khan Academy and others. If you're already familiar and comfortable working with PPT, this might be an interesting option to investigate.