11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2011 8:46 PM by glen_w

Becoming a 21st Century Administrator

I was reading the latest edition of Creative Educator and found an interesting article on becoming a 21st Century Administrator. As I got to the end of the article, I discovered it was written by "our own" Dan Morris. I think you will enjoy the article so I wanted to share it with you and tell Dan GREAT JOB!

http://www.thecreativeeducator.com/v08/stories/Becoming_a_21st_Century_Administrator

• Re: Becoming a 21st Century Administrator
          shanmangin

This is a wonderful article, Dan!  At our service center, we offer a Technology Leadership Academy each year for administrators and district level personnel.  Many of the ideas in your article are addressed in this academy.  I plan to share your article with the administrative trainers at our center, and the campus administartors we work with on a regular basis.

Shannon,

I would love to hear how you implement the Leadership Academy. I have found in our district, administrators are hesitant to attend workshops and usually send a teacher in their place. They have been very excited about the Intel Leadership Forum, but I would love to get them more technology experience.

Is anyone else willing to share what they do to encourage administrator participation.

shanmangin

Jill,

My coordinator teaches the Technology Leadership Institute.  It is usually a 3 day course.  I'm providing a brief outline of it.

The first day addresses technology standards and includes:

• overview of 21st century learners and their needs
                  • discussion and analysis of ISTE standards for adminstrators (opportunity for self-assessment and personal goal-setting)
                  • analysis of the campus and/or district STaR Chart (this is an assessment that every teacher in Texas takes each year to evaluate their use of technology); So, the administrators learn how to analyze the strengths and weaknesses at their own campus and compare those results with schools within the district and across the state.
                  • identification of technology integration best practices (video clips or samples of technology integrated projects from teachers in our region)

The second day focuses on building and refining technology skills as an administrator:

• modeling and promoting technology use at your campus (in this part, the administrators are shown potential uses of web 2.0 tools, such as wikis, blogs, etc., and have opportunity to use them in group activities)
                  • legal issues regarding technology use in today's schools (copyright issues, etc).
                  • time for campus/district goal-setting

On the third day, administrators receive some sort of tech gadget - this past year they received an IPod Touch

• training on how to use this new device as an administrator
                  • how classroom teachers could use this device in an instructional setting
                glen_w

I liked the focus of Dan's Article. A new principal was assigned to my school this year. We met briefly during the end of May (last year). During this year, he and I have had MANY wonderful technology discussions. I am impressed at his desire and work to move our students towards the goal of 21st Century Learners. I'm impressed at how well he works to meet all of the identifiable points in the article.

• He works to help teachers identify specific outcomes they want students to accomplish in their classroom. (He actually asked that all teachers submit their "Benchmarks" on a wiki! I must admit this was met with a little resistance - but he explained that these "Benchmarks" should be flexible as needs change.
                • He regularly discusses possible tools and resources that support teachers in helping students meet these outcomes. I feel honored that he has confidence to ask for my input. When I show him a tool or resource, he looks for ways to have it shown to the entire faculty. Most time faculty members are given choices about what tool will be used - but sometimes he says "consider your students ... not just the fact you've done it a different way every year before this." The main focus has been how will such tools and resources help students LEARN the material more effectively.
                • He has provided preparation time for teachers to "learn" how to use tools and resources. One aspect of this preparation involves having "Play in the Sandbox" time - where teachers plan lessons with a guide (me) helping them with technology questions.
                • Our biggest challenge has been determining how will we measure the effectiveness of these tools. One area we will use at my school is looking closely at the test results from this year's AYP testing. We hope to validate the tools and resources based on increases beyond that of similar schools in our district. Time will tell ...

Glen,

Thank you for sharing this. I am very impressed with the fact that this new principal sees the importance of technology and requires his staff to see it as well. He is at an advantage in the fact that he has you to help move things forward. I love the ideas you have shared and would love to share with some of my administrators. We have a few that see the need, but it seems everyone gets bogged down so much with assessments, GLE's, etc, that they are not willing to take a chance. I am anxious to see how things change for ya'll under this new leadership. Please continue to share the successes. Just out of curiosity, is this new administrator young or old?

glen_w

My administrator is relatively young. He taught for several years and was an assistant principal for some time after that. This is his first assignment as a principal. I've shared many blog posts with him and was very surprised when he took one post and shared it with our Collaboration Team Leaders (Department Chairs.) I am interested in seeing how he is able to motivate the less technological members of our faculty. He has a vision of using technology as a tool to benefit students. I enjoy working with him.

glen_w

I just realized I should update now that school has ended.

My administrator involved almost everyone on staff with a wiki when the year came to a close. He uses Prezi as his presentation tool. I see almost 10% of my blog posts shared with the entire staff as "recommended reading". His expectation is that teachers will "work smarter, not harder." With this in mind, he regularly recommends ways to use technology as a "tool" (even if you don't think you want to use it this way.)

It will be interesting to see how next year rolls out. I hope our newer staff members (we have a couple of new hires) join in the technology march.

Thanks jill, reading the article has amplified my knowledge on some points of becoming a 21st century administator..

Thanks Jill for sharing the article on " Becoming a 21st Century Adminstrator". I  enjoyed reading it since I am also a novice adminstrator. How i wish to engage all my teachers in a digital classroom. Further, reading this article would help me fulfill my endeavor of becoming one of the 21st Century Administrators.

I liked the link, it is a very good article Jill. now there is a time to change and bring change as a 21st century administrator.

glen_w

I've found a way to help my principal with blogs. I send him links of blogs that I think apply to our school or specific departments. The email includes a short explanation of how/why I think the blog applies along with the URL. It is fun to see replies that show my principal read the blog and recognized how its content can benefit our students. I have found the process easy and like how my principal responds by sharing the ideas with others at the school. Now I do not have to be the lone voice for technology & 21st Century Learning. (I can speak from the background!)