4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2014 6:20 PM by glen_w

The Whole World Will Be Watching

mcsweej

I know that here in the US, school is wrapping up for the summer and many will turn a blind eye to the biggest sporting event in the world, but everywhere else - all eyes will be on Brazil. There are plenty of content ties that come to mind when thinking of such an event. I know in economics for instance, I had students look into why so few of the games were going to be broadcast on ABC, on of the few free channels here in the US.

I am reaching out to some of our international teachers that may or may not be in school to see how your country will watch and how you will use the World Cup to engage students across the curriculum.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTUbcjURm9J6uX3kPj3UXuIgMaU18qDrYqxlrnoq0BWZ9V2zYF

• Re: The Whole World Will Be Watching
          JulieSzaj

Hi Jonathan,

I don't think only teachers can use this major sporting event for educational purposes, but parents can to! What a great opportunity to study geography and cultures. It would be neat to take advantage of virtual tours of various places in the different countries represented as well.

glen_w

Jonathan,

Prior to the end of our school year, I had a fun discussion with my students about the World Cup. We had some fun predicting who will win the championship. Several students promised to return next year to discuss why their prediction was correct (or as I said "or not.")

erroth

Jonathan,

I have to admit that I missed the boat on this one. We did a count down to the World Cup, but I didn't use the event in any of my lessons. However, I am teaching science summer camp for three weeks, so I get a second chance (such as the effect on the environment and the construction of the soccer ball, which has changed since the last World Cup).

And, aside from science, there is the social and political impact which in Brazil, is huge.

glen_w

Eric,

I've found it interesting how the World Cup ball has changed through these past few years. The science behind the changes is informative. My students and I often discuss how such changes are a challenge for players (who are used to the behavior of their "normal" soccer ball.)

I look forward to hearing how this works in your science camp.