8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2014 8:33 PM by glen_w

Keep Students Reading All Summer Long

JulieSzaj

We all know that once summer vacation begins the furthest thing from your child's mind is reading! We, as adults, know how important it is to keep your child interested in books and reading, not only in the summer, but for the rest of their life! So what if we compile a list of ideas to keep your child reading all summer long. What tips/tricks do you have up your sleeve to keep your child reading? What books do you love that you think every child should read?

• Re: Keep Students Reading All Summer Long
          JulieSzaj

Scholastic has a summer reading program titled "Reading Under the Stars." There are ideas for teachers, educators, and parents. Check it out, sign up your child, and see what you think: Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge

JulieSzaj

Don't forget to check out your local public library as well. Many of them have wonderful summer reading programs for children!

glen_w

I'm in a unique position at my school. I devote one class period to "data." This spring, I provided the counselors and principal with the names of students in grades 3-6 (who will attend our school) and those in our school who do not read or write at grade level. Our counselors met with these young students and their parents. This became a frank discussion about reading and graduation. Most parents did not realize that reading ability in elementary school might determine their child's ability to graduate. Specific ideas on summer reading (including a public library card) were given. Counselors will do follow-up home visits this summer. Our goal has been to help parents see we are supportive of them and want to help their child as well.

Have any of my community friends done anything similar? I'd like to hear other ideas so we can discuss them at our school.

JulieSzaj

Wow Glen, I love that you had a very open and honest conversation with parents and provided an opportunity to educate them as well. How was this received by the parents? What kind of questions/concerns did they have?

I know some districts in the area assigned reading "homework" to students, but quite honestly, I don't know how they can enforce anything.

I am wondering, what if a school had parent reading nights during the summer? Do you think teachers would be willing to do something like this? It would also be neat if the school sponsored events in conjunction with community events, like during the Relay for Life or local fairs and bring in storytellers or have guest readers. What do you think?

glen_w

The response by parents was great. Many expressed the idea "I knew my child was not reading but I did not know how important it is for his/her life." These same parents then responded by asking what they could do to encourage reading. Most were surprised at being told "just get your child reading - even if it is graphic novels." Several suggestions of books were given (including non-English titles.) I was pleased when no parents were upset at the discussion. All parents were told there will be a follow-up visit this summer and seemed pleased at the follow-up.

What do you think the response from families will be if their child has not been reading? How would you respond to them?

erroth

My son enjoys reading, but it is not his first or second choice of activities, so I have to incentivize. We had our final book fair in May and I told him he could spend up to $50, but the money had to be for books, and he would have to read all of them before school started again in August. Also, our librarian has a summer reading program in our school library, and I signed him up for that (he enjoys being around others, and if they are reading and participating in related activities, he will, too).