7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2014 7:04 PM by holmesg

Summer PD Opportunities

JulieSzaj

Summer is a great time for teachers to revitalize and refresh themselves in preparation of the upcoming school year. What are your plans for your own summer PD? What opportunities have you heard of that you think others might enjoy? Please share!

• Re: Summer PD Opportunities
          JulieSzaj

If anyone is taking time this summer to get started on Twitter I can recommend #NT2t chat every Saturday morning from 8-9 am CDT. I am one of 4 moderators of the group (don't mean to be self-serving here, but it is a great chat) and our goal is to help participants get started with Twitter and learn how to become confident Tweeps.  Please join us!

glen_w

Utah is providing a "Standards Academy" this summer. Those attending will be in sessions of English Language Arts, Mathematics, or Science. This year's strands are 6th - 8th grade. Of particular interest to me is the focus of the science strands. Each grade will have lessons on implementing Engineering activities and technology to meet the grade's science core.

I wondered if other states are doing similar summer Professional Development?

holmesg

Hi Julie,

For the past two years, North Carolina has hosted Summer Institutes state wide for teacher participants.  The first two years, the presenters were NCDPI (North Carolina Department of Public Instruction) employees.  This year, the presenters will be teachers from across the state, showcasing best practices.  I will personally be attending a number of conferences, webinars and online courses.  In particular, I am planning to work on becoming a google certified teacher (Google for Education).

JulieSzaj

Gail, did you get certified? I became a GET (Google Education Trainer) this summer!