19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2010 6:33 AM by rzsalem@gmail.com

Building a Better Teacher

tdiener

I've been meaning to post this for a few weeks.

The cover story for the March 2, 2010, New York Times Magazine Section was Building a Better Teacher. The focus: Can you teach someone to be a good teacher?...not content...not classroom management...but teacher skills! As I read the article I kept thinking, Intel Teach does that for teachers. Did anyone else happen to read the article? Good read. I recommend it to all.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/07/magazine/07Teachers-t.html

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/03/07/magazine/07Teachers-t_span/07Teachers-t_span-articleLarge.jpg

New York Times, March 2, 2010

• Re: Building a Better Teacher

Hi Tom:

I think for someone to be a "better teacher," the person must possess the required personality traits already. Then the person's presentation and other skills can be honed. Intel courses demand a certain kind of teacher, meaning not just any teacher has the intrinsic self motivation and desire to improve his or her craft. Unhappily, too many teachers are just left to their own devices to seek PD to improve themselves without any meaningful reward by the school or district.

tdiener

David, I agree with you a teacher must have "the required personality traits already". I think  teachers generally fall into three catagories: 1. natural born teachers, 2. teachers who love their job but need to work hard on their teaching skills (that would be the catagory I'm in) and 3. teachers who should really consider another career. Ultimately, I think a student succeeds if their teacher enjoys being a teacher. Does that make sense?

Hello David ,

I agree  completely with with your views.

I think  teaching is a tallent. This tallent can be enhanced by training.

Zahinah Zahoor.

Additional training for the best teachers is a part of what makes them the best to my way of thinking. Learning, developing the use of, and enhancing class activities with HOTS, differentiation, and technology are naturals for the best teachers, since that drive to give their best makes them the best.

Hello Tom,

I  agree with your views.You have  catogorised the teachers in a brautiful way. I appreciate it.

Committed teachers must be provided with oppertunities to improve their skills. Intel in my view is doing a good job.

Zahinah Zahoor 

I have to agree with the others' statements in regards to teachers having those natural traits in them. It's like any other  thing people are good at; the best are naturals to begin with. Not all teachers are the best; but that doesn't mean they're not GOOD. And even with the best of the best, all teachers need professional development in which we learn the newest and best ways to teach. Just having the interactions with other teachers (much like on Intel, here!), we exchange ideas, and are constantly learning something we might have never considered or realized. And as stated previously, when a teacher gets that light bulb moment of "oh wow, this is going to help my students soooo much," that's a successful step in building a better teacher. A teacher has to be willing and open minded  to change what's not working and improve overall strategies and style to benefit our students and selves. I'm not saying change who you are, but if something's not working, you've got to try something else. To build a better teacher, you need someone who is willing to learn something and actually try it out to see if it works. If it doesn't, you try something else, and you keep adapting and changing until you find what works!

For some people, the ability to teach and convey information comes naturally while others have the capability but may need more support to bring out those characteristics and qualities. I have found for many teachers, motivation is the ultimate key to building a better teacher. What drives us as educators to do what we do? Are we student motivated? When we make decisions are we thinking about how our decisions ultimately impact the lives and future of our students? When we as educators, start to reflect on questions like those, then we will truly become reflective and become a better teacher.

Great response, Mrs. Jessup! That is a question that all teachers should answer. "What are we truly thinking about when we make those decisions?" Is it for us, or for our students?
                                Reflection and adaptation are two essential keys to building a better teacher. 

You make nearly perfect sense here. The personality traits I usually think are important include fortitude, resilience, love, intelligence (not brilliance!), empathy, understanding, and resolve. I personally link other traits off of these, so this is more general than perhaps some might think.

A "real" teacher can be taught content, management, and many other administrative fucntions, but they have to have that "heart" informed as I have characterized. There is nothing magic about any of it, but there is a core that, if not there, makes teacher a mere placeholder. I bet we have all worked with more than plenty of these if we've taught long and in several places.

Tom, the link is dead.  I would love to read the story.  Do you have any other ways that I might access it?

Neil

tlmaves

The link is now working. Here is a community tip for all: links work better when using the paper clip from the tool bar rather than a copy and paste.

If you want to get real fancy, get it to open in a new window by flipping it to html code (upper right corner on the tool bar) and insert this custom code between the ">  that follows the href code:

class="jive-link-custom"target="_blank"

For example: <a href="http://www.intel.com/">

1. Click between these two symbols at the end of the code "> then press the space bar and paste the code
                                2. the code will look like <a href="http://www.intel.com/" class="jive-link-custom"target="_blank">
                                3. Now your site will open in a new window and members won't close the community accidentally when they click on your link.

This tip is provided in the announcement on Teachers Engage main page for future reference. We are also working to get this to be an automatic function for users to select.

julesfischy

Neil - if you right click on the link and open in a new tab or window the link opens up. 

Tom, thanks to Julia I was able to read the article and was it a powerful one.  Teachers have a special gift, but there are many teachers who were not born with that gift that are excellent teachers.  More to the point of your question, yes, I believe that the Intel Teach program, when done correctly, will help produce great teachers.  Both the Essentials and the TwT are designed to give the teachers the necessary tools and direction that is needed in today's classroom.  We must teach our kids those "21st Century" skills we hear so much about.  We must teach them to think on their own.  We must get past the idea that the teacher is the "sage on the stage".  We must move to a point where we learn as much about something as the students on occasion.  We must get to the point where we can learn from our students, and I truly believe the Intel Teach courses do just that.

Thanks for sharing the article.  it really is a must read.

Neil

This article was so insightful and pertinent to what is occurring today in education.  Personally I do believe classroom management and knowing your content are very important.  I also believe being apart of Intel gives teachers more opportunities to improve both areas.  I am very glad I had a chance to read this article.

I am Vietnamese and I am teaching Informatics at Dong Ha highschool. Dong Ha is small town in Central of Vietnam. It is so poor and there is so much difficulties. My salary is so low what is not enough for me to live monthly. So we always want to be better teacher.

I am a MT of Intel Teach Program in Vietnam.

Xuan, I can imagine how u feel, I totally emphasize with you, here in Pakistan its almost the same. People expect wonders from Teacher but do not want to do anything to elevate their status in Society. Teachers need bread to live and its not just fair to expect teachers to perform and be enthusiastic all the time without any incentive what so ever

I am pleased that I am working on a USAID project where we have hired a consultant to work with the local MoE to change the Service and Recruitment rules enabling the teachers to get a much better Pay Scale ! I hope something like this happens in Vietnam too. I have been to Vietnam twice and have also trained some STS being the regional trainer for Intel Teach