2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2010 12:06 PM by glen_w

Students will say the funniest things - favorite student quotes

MrsSmoke

We all have those student quotes that give us giggles.  Today I had an 8th grade boy who is nearly six feet tall come up to me and say, "Guess what?  I had a haircut this weekend, and now my head is more aerodynamic!"  I tell you that was the best line I had heard in a few days. 

What are some of your favorite student quotes?

• Re: Students will say the funniest things - favorite student quotes
          shanmangin

I was teaching 4th grade math and the topic was how to distinguish between a multiplication or division problem...  After reading the problem together I asked, "Now what would you do this this kind of problem?" (expecting someone to say "multiply!")

A little boy named Demetrius raised his hand, "Whip it."

Me:  What?

Demetrius:  "Whip it good."

At this point I realize he's quoting the 80's song... "when a problem comes along you must whip it"  It's by Devo, I think?

So, I'm cracking up laughing, and I ask him, "How do you even know this song??  It came out when I was born!"

Demetrius:  I watch "Whatever Happened to...?" on VH1. 

• Re: Students will say the funniest things - favorite student quotes
            glen_w

I was surprised when one of my Biology students asked:

"Mr. Westbroek, if Boys do not give birth why do they have belly buttons?"

I thought on it for about 10 seconds (mainly to gain composure) then responded

"That's a great question - the bell's about to ring now. We don't have time to go into detail. If you want to drop by after school, I'll be happy to discuss it more with you."

You should have seen the shocked looks on the rest of the class when I gave that answer! Priceless!!!