55 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2015 5:31 AM by SyedaKhadija

Learning Pathways-October-December 2015-To Code or Not to Code...Is that the Right Question?

vkajones

bunnyatwork_small.jpg

Should we teach coding to elementary students? Is this the correct question we should be asking ourselves? Should other questions be considered; such as does computer science really enhance 21st Century Skills or why should we integrate and implement coding and computer science in elementary classrooms?

In the past few years, teaching coding to elementary students has been in the news.  Many of my elementary colleagues and I have simply ignored the rhetoric of coding in elementary grades either because the notion of coding was in the category of a foreign language or most of us thought that teaching coding to elementary students was only a figment of our imagination.

Fast forward two months… Not only do I believe that computer science especially coding has a prominent place in the elementary classroom, but now I’m in full integration and implementation mode to introduce coding to elementary teachers and students throughout Central Texas and beyond.   I recently joined the crusade with Code.org to promote computer science in all grade-levels and at all age levels from about age 4 and up.  Code.org offers free K-5 curriculum to elementary teachers.  Elementary teachers and students can now go where only high school and middle school students could go before with coding.

To observe a kindergarten student explain why another adult did not solve a code puzzle correctly, is not only enlightening, but was an enriching educational experience.

What are your experiences and thoughts about coding and or teaching computer science to elementary students? Have you used coding with your students? Share your experiences, stories, pros and cons about using coding with elementary or with any grade level.

Share your ideas between  October 14-December 31 to be entered into a Choose Your Prize Drawing of a prize worth up to 175.00.

Choose your prize:

You now have the opportunity to choose your own prize. If we draw your name for this thread you will then have the opportunity to choose what prize you would like to have for your classroom or instructional practices use. We will contact you and you will have a choice from a variety of prizes. After you choose your prize, you would need to return to this thread and post what you chose and how you plan on implementing it in your classroom or with other educators. After you have completed your usage post, we will send you the prize of your choice.

Note: This drawing will only become active when a minimum of 10 participants respond, which means in some cases, the drawing will take place after the above mentioned date. For a complete description and eligibility of Engage community drawings, click on the Intel Bunny Person.