0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2014 8:22 AM by mdconley57

Student Stories: Digital Citizenship

mdconley57

int_brand_577_VrtlCity_5600_cmyk.png

The focus in Engage this month has been Digital Citizenship. Have you done anything with your students on digital citizenship? What do you talk about? Did you just hit the concepts, or did you talk about specific behaviors? We want to wrap up the month with an activity that puts you in the shoes of your students.

Pretend you're a student in your school, your classroom, or a school/classroom you work with. Put yourself in a digital citizenship conundrum, and think about how you might respond with behaviors appropriate for a 21st Century Citizen of our Digital World. Respond to this discussion with a quick (three sentences to a paragraph) "story" about  this situation and how you, the student responded. To develop your story:

• Pick out and identify one of the aspects of Common Sense Media's Digital Citizenship Pledge (responsible communication, protecting privacy and information, standing up to cyber-bullying, respecting the ideas and opinions of others, and giving proper credit/citation for others' work)
      • Set up your story with the situation "you" as the student find yourself in related to this aspect of the pledge.
      • Write the narrative that explains how you addressed this situation using digital citizenship skills related to that aspect of the pledge.

We want to hear your stories. So much, in fact, that if you respond to this discussion with a story that meets the criteria described above, we'll enter you into a sweepstakes drawing for this sweet Intel-Inside Bay Trail Atom PC thumbdrive by Shenzen Apec Electronics. Did you click that link? Looks like a thumbdrive, right? Wrong - it's a full PC!

Share your story between now and November 24** to be entered in the drawing. This drawing will only become active when a minimum of 10 participants respond, which means in some cases, the drawing will take place after the above mentioned date. To get the full fine print on Intel Engage Sweepstakes Drawings eligibility and regulations, click the Bunnyman below.

**Since we did not get enough responses to trigger the drawing we are extending the deadline to Monday, December 15th!

bunnyatwork.jpg

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

• Re: Student Stories: Digital Citizenship
          mohdovais

I have put thousands of students on social media tools like, facebook, twitter, linkedin, and slideshare.

I shared my notes, question papers, and exam techniques on these sites.

The documents uploaded were viewed by over 30,000 students.

zienabsayedahmedmostafa@gmail.com

I use many types of media such as Facebook ,blogs and googledocs. We share many things ,downloading many others

It make them free and enjoy searching the information .They respond the survey and making it

holmesg

I set up a discussion forum with the topic "cyber bullying" and "internet safety".  Students were to share their experiences and come up with the top ten tips to share with other students.  They then had to create an infomercial, flyer, etc. to share them tips with internet users.  Below you will example of their posts:

Cyber bullying is a serious thing that is hard to stop. It's like any other bullying, possibly even worse and more abundant because it's indirect, any one can do it. I'v personally dealt with many types of bullies. Cyber bullies steer more near verbal abusers most of the time, they can attack anyone online by making fun of them all the way down to threatening them. I haven't dealt with cyber bullying very much but I did have a friend who dealt with it for a long period of time. Ironically it was one of his ex's, and I know I know it doesn't seem like something serious from the surface but I was there for every step of the way of this bullying. She often threw threats at him, made horrible comment's about him, his family (specifically his deceased mother) and would constantly text him. For the most part we joked about it at first until her attempts got more hectic and relentless. As guy's I can see why most people wouldn't take this as seriously, but that's just what makes this method of bullying all the more dangerous! All kinds of bullying should be taken seriously, and I can say through how I was there to talk with him that period of time he was being cyber bullied that it took a big emotional toll on him with some of the things she would say. Not to mention at the time we were just freshmen but she was already a senior. He eventually tried loosing as much contact information of her's as possible, while all I could usually do each day was converse with him either about the subject of her bullying him, or other things to get him mind off of it.

This is just a reminder of why to talk to people about these things, and especially taking initiative to stop it!

My number one rule would be to install antivirus and antispyware software to protect your computer from viruses and spam. If you install these programs they will protect and remove viruses from your computer. This would be my number one rule because if your computer was infected with viruses it could wipe out all of your information and data from your computer causing you to lose valuable documents and pictures. I think that this should be on the top ten because more people should be aware of the dangers that viruses could bring and how antivirus software can help prevent this.

I realize how important it is to communicate responsibly and kindly with one another. If we are mean or nasty via technology in or out of the classroom, we will lose the privilege of using it. Technology is an amazing collaboration and communication tool so it would be a shame to lose such a valuable resource. In class, we focus on being polite and communicating the same way we would face to face. Students have learned it is not appropriate to send a teacher an email demanding forgotten homework, (I forgot my homework at school, send it to me ASAP!) the same way adults would not send their boss a rude, demanding email. We have practiced communicating in a more polite way (I am so sorry, I forgot my homework at school today. If you have a minute, would you please send it to me?) It is easy to be bold and brave behind a computer screen, but good 21st century digital citizens are well mannered, kind and polite both off and on-line.

dhez_b@yahoo.com

While I am doing my digital output in Mathematics about quadratic function, I found out an interactive activity in the site http://www.teachmathematics.net/activities/angry-birds.htm     I know that it enhances my presentation and the way I am going to present the concepts of quadratic function. However, we are always reminded by our teacher to give credit whom the credit is due. Thus, I sent an email message to mrteachmaths@gmail.com requesting for a permission to use the site in my presentation. I was surprised when Mr. Richard Wade, one of the owners of the site responded "I'm pleased that you like the angry birds activity. Feel free to use it in your presentation.". Overwhelming!. I told him "rest assured that their site and activity will be properly recognized.

emansisy

You ask us to pretend to be students.In fact I have done this before.I'm a teacher of English as a second language in Egypt.I, with my class , participated  with another teacher and her class in Taiwan .Both classes work together in a blog to share our different  cultures.I also discussed in the class how should each student communicate on this blog .Of course I talked with them about topics related to (responsible communication, protecting privacy and information, respecting the ideas and opinions of others, etc. I asked them to think of themselves as Egyptian Ambassadors and share general information about Egypt . I told them, for example, when they use information from the internet to copy the link of this information as a reference  etc.Then The teacher from Taiwan and I started the chat to give clear examples for our students on how to communicate online safely.Here I felt as one of my students when I started writing on this blog. It was a very interesting experience.

mdconley57

Thanks to all who participated. Unfortunately, this activity did not receive the requisite 10 replies to activate the drawing. Please keep participating in Engage, and be sure to keep joining our drawing threads.