6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2010 2:16 PM by azneil

Collaborate with a newbie

I am in the process of being trained as a master trainer.  I am looking for someone to collaborate with me on creating a lesson focusing on the Harlem Renaissance.  Looking for ideas on music, dance poetry, people, etc. and 21st century tools we can use to motivate students.

• Re: Collaborate with a newbie

Martha, as a former music teacher, I will be glad to help you.  Let me do some research and let's see what we can come up with.  I'm guessing you have included musicians such as Louis Armstrong and his Hot Five.  Is that the type of information you are looking for?  Here is a link for you to use for more information on this group.  I think I remember that this group was only a studio recording band.  http://www.redhotjazz.com/hot5.html.

You might want to set up a wiki  and have your students collaborate on the different groups and their influence on the music and culture of the time.

Neil

• Sounds fun!
            Bonnie Feather

Martha, last summer I participated in a week-long institute on integrating music into all curriculum areas.  The institute was called "Keeping Score" and was put on by the San Francisco Keeping Score program.

We opened the weeklong institute with a simulation of what it was like to be an immigrant landing at Ellis Island in the time of the Harlem Renaissance!  I know I still have some of the resources, but I do remember we got some things from the Library of Congress.  I will come back to give you more specific information.

• Re: Collaborate with a newbie

Martha, here is another favorite of mine-Scott Joplin.  He was not actually in the Harlem Renaissance, but he influenced many after him.  Here is a link to one of the sites.  http://www.scottjoplin.org/biography.htm

Neil