8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2010 9:47 AM by susangauthier

Classroom Response Systems

Has anyone found much success using response systems (CPS, Senteo . . .) in language arts classes?  I find that the response systems work very well in math classes.

• Re: Classroom Response Systems

We use the CPS response system often in our Language Arts classes. We use this to teach test taking skills, especially at this time of year, so we can discuss why certain responses might have been chosen and why the right answer is correct. Through the majority of the year, we would use it for quick assessments of basic comprehension - including reading comprehension and/or understanding other "Language Arts-based" concepts like grammar and editing skills. When we would use it with reading assignments, it was a good way to check whether students had understood the most basic aspects of the text before we would get into the higher order thinking questions and dive in a littler deeper.

The students seem to really enjoy test preparation moments in class right now when we use the CPS system in conjunction with Study Island (we use the teacher sign-in). It gets them out of the traditional workbook preparation! And, hey, anytime a remote is involved, our kids are happy!

Thanks for the input, Kristi!  How does using the CPS for reading passages work with the CPS system?  For example, I know that some students read slower than others so everyone might not finish the passage at the same time.  Also, have you found success using CPS assessments with students who might have EC accommodations such as extended time? I was just wondering how easy it might be to provide that extended time for the reading passages using the CPS.

Thanks again for your input!

NaomiHarm

I posted this in another thread- but noted it may be a better fit here. Another response system I am working with is the AVer Media Collaboration Soultion and I love the video-audio-photo document  camera and pens.  Here are application  ideas for classroom solutions if you are interested.  Some of our districts are going this route and bypassing the IWB's in the classroom.  Your thoughts????  The pens are NOT a 1:1 initiative, instead the idea is they are a a GRS(group response system) to have students/educators use these tools driven by essential questions through collaborative teams, think-pair-share activites, and then as a team a consensus is met/formed and the voting through the pens or writing of response's is generated and represented through the FREE software in 1 - 6  segmented components on a screen playback to see all teams ideas at one time.

I am also working with Live Scribe Smart Pen.  Theresa Maves introduced this to me last year at NECC, and I have been "playing" with this tool for the last month to see its potential for student learning and assessment through pencasts, and administrative productivity and sharing of captured notes and transcription.  I love the feature of recording and capturing real time audio through this device, and the potential for self-directed learning though student generated or teacher generated lessons and resources.  Here is the Live Scribe blog and educator resources for your review.  I like to know what you think- this is new territory for me- I love the creativity of news ideas how to use this tools to enhance and motivate student and adult learning.  They even are making "apps" for the Smart Pen- this is way too cool!

Here are some fascinating examples of pencasts  created by educators and students:

High School Algebra.  This is one of ~100 pencasts, all accessible/scrollable on right side of screen.  These 100 pencasts have had over 33,000 (!) views by students, with views and new pencasts by Sue Glasco increasing daily:

http://www.livescribe.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/LDApp.woa/wa/MLSOverviewPage?sid=nvKddS458PMk

Chapter/Problem  Solutions by AP Physics Teacher.  This teacher is building a repository  of pencasts to provide students assistance with textbook  problems.

http://www.dl.ket.org/physicsap/physicsapPCast/tocPencasts.html

Purdue Mechanics Class Student Pencasts for Problem Solutions.  This Professor asks students to solve problems and submit their solutions as pencasts, for personal increased learning and review by other students.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~krousgri/me274/?page_id=2471

Transistor Theory, ISU.  This is an impressive example of a growing repository of pencasts for an Electrical Engineering Course.

http://www.livescribe.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/LDApp.woa/wa/MLSOverviewPage?sid=bghkWm6BPZsF

And many- many more.....
                  *Biology - Interactive Talking study guide - see http://www.edlivescribe.com/?p=413  Or  see http://www.edlivescribe.com/?page_id=954#Audio
                  *Math - Talking Test - see http://www.edlivescribe.com/?p=54
                  *It's  also possible to add talking dots to existing documents.  See How to Create  Talking Dot Shapes & Labels  I'm particularly excited about  talking dot labels/shapes because they can be added to anything (check  out the Collaborative Rainforerest, Auditory Flash Cards, or English-SpanishTalking  Flash Cards.
                  *Pencast set of solutions to this test: http://www.edlivescribe.com/?p=680
                  *Reading fluency/running records - see http://www.edlivescribe.com/?p=377 (It  has a wonderful video with translatable captions).
                  *Dr. Andy Van Schaack also created a sample teaching strategy guide for this which is linked to from the above.
                  Naomi Harm

Hi, Naomi!  Thanks for sharing!  I've seen a product demo of the AverPen and I absolutely love the of the combination of the AverPen and the AverVision document camera instead of an IWB!  However, I believe that combination is a little more expensive than an IWB (eBeam) and a projector, but the AverMedia product combination definitely offers much more flexibility. I think I still like the idea of individual response systems because the teacher can use individual student reports from traditional response systems for targeted, small-group reteaching/remediation. 

I've read a little about the LiveScribe, but I think I'll try to schedule a product demonstration to learn more about it.  Again, great information!!

• Language Arts Classroom Response Systems
                  Bonnie Feather

Hmmm.  I know it's easy to find uses for the response systems in math classes.  Just like all IWB software, the response systems (to me) have great potential for student engagement.  I see a lot of equipment such as the "clickers" being used for assessment- both formative and summative.  However, opportunities for increased engagement are often missed!  By the same token, the assessments used are in danger of becoming standard operating procedure, and more authentic assessment methods are still getting short shrift.  I think it's because authentic assessment takes more time!

I have created a Promethean ActivInspire flipchart which shows more ways of engaging students in the lesson.  Some of the methods include the response systems (though by no means all)  I'm attaching this flipchart for those of you who have the Promethean software and the ActivExpression devices.  I like these devices because they have text capability as well as T/F, Yes/No, and multiple choice.

In a Language Arts class, students could use the clickers to respond to discussion starters- declaring their opinions before and after discussion, for instance.  They could "vote" on the likely ending of a story, or which phrases should be used for emphasis.  I see endless opportunities for using them in language arts at all levels.

glen_w

Charlisa,

While I do not teach in a Language Arts classroom, I have used Individual Response Systems in my classroom for over five years now. I always put the questions individually on the board. I also read each question with its possible answers aloud (if there are answer choices.) I currently use the Promethean ActivExpressions and sometimes the answers are text entry - I cannot read those answers aloud. I find Special Education students as well as English Language Learner students do better on these types of assessments than if I give a paper and pencil quiz. My favorite quote from a Special Education student is "Mr. Westbroek your test was AWESOME!" As I reviewed why he would have thought this ... I identified a couple of points:

1. The questions and answers were read aloud (Special Education accommodation)
                    2. Each question was presented individually (no ability to be distracted by multiple questions)
                    3. Many questions had images associated with them

I'm interested in hearing other examples of how Individual Response Devices are being used to motivate students and inform teachers on how to modify instruction.

Charlisa, I'm not in the classroom anymore and when I was, we didn't have the CRS's.  My question to you and all the others, is it possible to use the Seeing Reason tool for some of the same things as the CRS?  Given that the teacher and student can "communicate", couldn't you do some of the same things?  I know you would have to look at each individual answer, but maybe that's something Intel could put into the tool.  (Are you listening Theresa  :-))

Just curious.

Neil

I do not teach ELA but I found this blog post interesting. I like the way the author used the clickers to ask questions about writing essays but not in reference to actual content of the essay.