12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2015 7:40 AM by zienabsayedahmedmostafa@gmail.com

Differentiated Instruction

"One size fits All", as mentioned  by Tomlinson,2000  ..Admit it or not, we teachers tend to use one strategy for all our students,without considering the different needs and various interests of our students...Sometimes, we teach them, on how we were taught by our teachers,neglecting the fact that these students possess intelligence which are entirely different from ours. A classroom is filled with different types of learner, with different needs, talents and gifts.."One size fits All, is no longer effective, as a teacher it is a BiG Challenge for us to find ways on how to accommodate these needs and intelligence of our learners..One way to that, is to differentiate instruction in other words, adjust the strategies based on the student's needs and interests..There are different ways on how we can achieve differentiation, based on what I've read from Carol,Tomlinson's book..@

• Re: Differentiated Instruction
          glen_w

A few years ago, the Intel Engage Community hosted a webinar with Vickie Davis on "Differentiated Instruction with Technology." How do you want to differentiate your assignments?

intel8suj

Just to have critical view of differentiated instruction... Though I accept the differentiated styles of learners, a question always comes to my mind "How to make it practically viable to implement,effectively?". It leads to another question, "If pace of learning (of learners) is the core idea in differentiated instruction, then whether we align the assessment practices accordingly?".

Merry Christmas..Differentiated instruction is not an easy task.It demands a lot of time and effort on the part of teacher.There are three ways on how to differentiate, it can be through content, process and product.A little differentiation can be made to content because of the syllabus provided, when it comes to process, we can differentiate our strategies in various ways, it can be through cubing,PBL,  RAFT, use of learning center,Choice boards,Think tac toe strategy learning contracts and  other effective strategies. When it comes to product, learners are given freedom to choose the projects or their output based on their interests, say for example they can use power point or illustrations to show their learning. But all of these things should begin with assessment, diagnosing the interests , needs of the learners. Every time the teacher differentiates, the decisions on what type of activities and strategies should be tailored and anchored on the needs and intelligence of the students.So time to time, at the end of every lesson, the teacher made an assessment about the learning's of our students.

zienabsayedahmedmostafa@gmail.com

It's nice to put yourself in the place of your students so that they can reach them that is better than he knew and know their preferences and needs great to choose teaching methods that suit themو every time I make decisions on the strategies that I'm going to use, I make sure that theses strategies will cater the needs of  my various learners inside the classroom.

Yes Ma'am that’s true, in my case I am teaching 7 subjects daily and have to prepare 7 lesson plan for each subject. So, it is time consuming to have different activity to suit every child's need. I am still using the traditional way of teaching because of lack of equipments to be used, such as computer and projector. But I made my class still interesting and motivating through the use of localized materials and make sure that there is active pupil participation in every activity. with of course my close supervision.

intel8suj

Hi Rowena,

First of all, accept my appreciations for making the student community enjoy the learning process. That's a good start every educator would like to have. Now the next part is how to sustain / scale the same level of excitement and impart similar interest and motivation to the students. My view is that if the student doesn't get self-interested and self-motivated, he/she may not be able to carry forward their precious learning methods what they had had in the classroom.

I already heard about differentiated instruction, but most of the feedbacks were about the insufficient time and lack of resources..

zienabsayedahmedmostafa@gmail.com

We are dealing with different kinds of students and capabilities of different tendencies and interests, so we had to change the instructions and  techniques from time to time to meet their needs