10 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2010 9:42 PM by mstant

What's the most interesting presentation you've seen so far?

steveburt

With so many different presentations going on, you're bound to miss a few interesting ones. However, based on what you've seen so far, what are the most interesting presentations you've seen?

• Re: What's the most interesting presentation you've seen so far?
          glen_w

We are having a blast in the Shop Talk "Three Steps to Systemic Improvement in Science Eduation & Increased School Participation in Science Fairs".

Glenn "Max" McGee just found a link for the ocean bottles we've been playing with!

I was most impressed so far with Dr. Max McGee and his residential school.  It is amazing how important a professional school culture is to engage students at such a high level.  In a similar way, without the residency component, I am building much the same heightened culture among students and teachers in a wall-to-wall project based learning environment with 1:1 computing.  Any other folks out there have specific ideas on how to infuse science and engineering competitions into that culture?

glen_w

Michael,

I agree that Dr. McGee shared some incredible information about his residential school. I appreciate you reminding us that he spoke about the "School Culture" and how it impacted students and teachers. I have a 1:2 ratio of laptops / students in my classroom. The challenge is that providing access to these computers outside of classroom hours. I actively invite students to come in and use the laptops during free time and before/after school if they need to work on an assignment. Like you, I am also looking for ideas on how to create a culture that integrates science and engineering.

Perhaps you and I need to come up with our own description of what such a culture will look like. Anyone else who has interest in this concept - please share your ideas!

I'm hoping Dr. Max McGee will share his ideas on this.

Franchetti's presentation was exceptional.  As a "graduate" of a two-day media school, I can attest that Jack condensed the essential points into his brief presentation.  The videos were excellent teaching tools.  There is a classic of a bungled interview that he did not use but that I'll try to find and post.  It's an interview with CEO of Amoco (?) after the Exon Valdez oil spill.  Intel should use Jack for the School of Distinction winners in September and invite him back to ISEF.  Thanks for the opportunity to listen.

I just loved the Scifest Presentation. Last night I read the materials for inquiry based learning and I think the first activity (the one with straws, tape and a marble) is an ideal triggering activity to use at events with teachers, educators, and students alike to demonstrate the importance of inquiry based learning.. I am sure there are other similar activities we can use to inspire inquiry based learning. Actually, I just saw a TED presentation which explained the effects of this type of activites through a very similar activity called the marshmallow competition, and with amazing results!!!

I have to say that the Breck School's presentation was very impressive.  It is wonderful what they are able to accomplish with their resources, flexibility, and talents.  I am challenged to provide a public school version of a blend with their seminar and the IMSA program.  Can I do that?

glen_w

Michael,

I agree with you that IMSA and Breck have impressive Science research programs. It is great how some schools are able to plan time for research. I have pondered how a public school would be able to implement such research into their week. My district's high schools are averaging over 40 students in each science classroom. We face tremendous pressure to help our students perform well on the mandated Science Testing. I have been unable to determine a way we could restructure our time to provide more research time.

I am also looking for ideas on how a public school can restructure their daily / weekly schedule to allow for research like these two schools are able to implement.

Glenn,

I appreciate your comments.  As I have gone through the shop talks and reflected on them an idea is coming together for a modified, scaled down, program of inquiry.  If you are here on Thursday, I would love to meet for coffee for a few minutes to talk it through with you and anyone else interested here.