3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2010 6:37 PM by coxd

Earth Day Activities in the Classroom

julesfischy

Are you celebrating Earth Day in your classroom?

Since this is the the 40th Anniversary of Earth Day there have been a lot more commercials by different companies reminding everyone to think GREEN and do their part.  I am curious what this will look like in classrooms - so share your plans.

• Re: Earth Day Activities in the Classroom

Julia,

Even though I am not currently teaching in a classroom, I felt compelled to reply because Earth Day was such a big deal in my science classes. In the past, we would create flyers about being green, which were displayed. However, the most exciting activity was on the Sunday before Earth Day when some of the science club members would pair up with Exxon to do hands on activities for the community during the downtown celebration in Baton Rouge. My students enjoyed it a great deal, plus it gave them a chance to interact with real scientists. If I were teaching science today, we would set up a blog and involve the parents and community in discussions about sustainability and other such topics. I would also have the students to create short video info-mercials, which we would post on the blog site.

glen_w

Julia,

My state core is so strict that I was unable to plan or do any Earth Day activities. I, however, was so excited when students came into class and blurted out "Happy Earth Day!" Apparently they were saying this same thing in all of their classes. I hope to find a way to have some Earth Day activities next year if I modify the order the state core is taught in .

Since I have no classroom, I cannot actually teach Earth Day activities, but what I can do is provide resources for those who can teach about it. I have a hot list of really good resources located on the Louisiana Region 6 TLTC web site at http://www.rapides.k12.la.us/region6tltc/index.htm and Edutopia has a cool new ebook called Think Green which you can download from their site at http://www.edutopia.org/pdfs/edutopia-think-green-resource-guide.pdf.

How could a middle school teacher manage her or his classes so as to integrate these resources to inform, impress, and inspire their students as to the importance of strong environmental awareness and even local action to protect their communities?