4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2010 12:59 PM by azneil

"What does/should the 21st Century Classroom look like"?

Several weeks ago, I had the opportunity to hear Steve Dembo of Discovery Education speak at the MEC Conference in Tempe, AZ.  His statement of "What does the 21st Century classroom look like"? got me to thinking.  We are the ones that need to invent it.  Is it possible to utilize the social networking sites such as Facebook?  What about Twitter?  Could we even use an online community/game such as Farmville (yes, I am a Farmville junkie) to help students create and collaborate?  What are your thoughts?

Neil

• Re: "What does/should the 21st Century Classroom look like"?
          vkajones

Neil,

Do you know if that speech is available as a webcast or podcast?  I would love to hear it. What you a Farmville junkie? No way

Vanessa

julesfischy

Vanessa - like Neil I too attended MECC this past spring and heard the keynote address.  They did say that presentation materials would be available through itunes U - but i haven't gone and checked that out.  I do know that the presentation Steve Dembo gave is available online- and that could give you some insights. It was a great presentation.

I am still trying to embrace his thoughts on putting the names of students out there - and although he has some great points - I am not sure that I am fully on board.

vkajones

Great. I will go there now and check it out. I agree with you. Not only am I not comfortable allowing students to post their names, but I know my state/school district is not on board with that yet either. It took years of begging/pleading just for teachers to even have access to YouTube. It actually took a new superiendent to make that happen. I'll let you know my thoughts after viewing his presentation.

Vanessa

Let's try this one more time!    Steve Dembo of Discovery Education spoke at the MEC Conference in Tempe, AZ.  His statement of "What does the 21st Century classroom look like"? got me to thinking.  We are the ones that need to invent it.  Is it possible to utilize the social networking sites such as Facebook?  What about Twitter?  Could we even use an online community/game such as Farmville (yes, I am a Farmville junkie) to help students create and collaborate?  What are your thoughts?

Neil