18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2015 10:56 AM by holmesg

Classroom Makeover

pgrant@clarity-innovations.com

I've been reading about how the space we work and learn in has a lot to do with the kind of thinking we do. I know we'd all like to have a 21st century classroom with cool furniture and technology whenever we or our students need it. But most of us have to adjust to what we have. What ideas do you have for arranging a classroom to encourage creativity, collaboration, and reflective thinking.

Here's a blog that discusses the topic .Extreme Makeover-Classroom Style.

• Re: Classroom Makeover
          julesfischy

Peggy-  I came across this article - Six Keys to a Classroom Makeover- that gave some good ideas on where to get started. I think that making a classroom that fosters creativity, collaboration and thinking is what every good teacher is striving for.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            julesfischy

I missed this when it first came out last summer - Five-Minute Film Festival - but it popped up on my radar. I am wondering if there was one thing you could do to makeover your classroom what would it be? 

Bonnie Feather

glen_w, how were you able to mark replies as helpful? I have been looking for this capability. I am wondering if we don't all have the same privileges activated...

Thank you,

Bonnie

glen_w

I honestly do not know how I was able to mark these as helpful. This is the ONLY discussion marked as a question that I have seen the option on. I've probably checked over 25 discussions marked as questions and do not know why I can mark it on this and NONE of the others. If you figure this out, please let me know!

Bonnie Feather

This response made me laugh! Hey, mdconley57...any ideas on this question? I am thinking now of yasserrs2003@hotmail.com and his question elsewhere about whether people would do some things simply to earn badges.  In the past, we have been able to mark replies as "helpful" and questions as "answered" only when we were the authors of the discussion. It appears Glen was able to mark replies in this discussion even though he was not the author.

Inquiring minds want to know, and want this capability.

Thanks, Marshal!

~Bonnie

diana_M

This is the perfect topic, very relelvant.  At my school we are trying to start over in a few classrooms next school year.  Furniture placement and selection, remove clutter, be mindful of what is on the walls, provide maker spaces, lighting is key, add nature and natural elements, and watch our color pallet. We want flexible spaces which can be changed based on the learning needs of the students and project.  We are committed to putting the students first.   Thank you for the resources.  I plan to take before and after photographs of my school.

diana_M

I will share this blog with my principal.  We are determined to more PBL, STEAM, and infuse a variety of technological learning in our new spaces.  Our staff is diverse and their differences great.  But, some of us are so determined to have change we have decided to press on and challenge ourselves to change the face of our classrooms.  We will model to those not yet ready to embrace the idea.  I am excited, scared, and ready!

glen_w

Diana,

I like and appreciate your excitement. I'm sure any principal who sees such teacher enthusiasm for student learning will be thrilled to say "go for it!" Please keep us posted on how the modeling goes for other teachers.

yasserrs2003@hotmail.com

i think when you let students themselves makeover their classroom in the way they like, they will be willing to learn more effectively in an environment they created by themselves.   

Bonnie Feather

Though I think a Classroom Makeover can be simply changes in teaching methodology, sometimes physical changes can be helpful. glen_w mentions that designing a science lab might not be a good project for students...

A few years ago, I had a group of students at an alternative high school use Google SketchUp to design the physical layout of a new computer lab. One of the designs was chosen, though students could have been asked to mashup the best features of several, and the new lab was set up using student plans. It increased their feelings of the lab being theirs, and it was subsequently better cared for than the previous machines.

I wonder if students from science departments might design the features of a science lab, using a list of safety features that had to be built in and also being allowed to suggest other safety features. It's possible they would pay more attention to safety procedures if they had researched how to build them in to a lab. I think this could be an excellent project for science students!

bonnie_feather

yasserrs2003@hotmail.com

here in egypt a teacher doesn't have his own classroom as in the states, instead of this he moves to the students classroom, so when i suggested that students can makeover their classroom by themselves i meant they but the design for their educational environment where they stay all day long butting safety of course in consideration.    

blancaedu

A while back I developed a series of activities to help teachers think about the space their children worked in. One activity I ask teachers who are looking at creating a more 21st century environment, is to use their 5 senses to "listen"/"see"/"hear" etc. their space. Designing a 21st Century Learning Environment is meant to bring up a conversation about how outside forces interfere with the way our students learn. During one such activity a teacher said she never realized how LOUD the AC was in a back corner where children acted up. Another mentioned a terrible smell on the side of her classroom where students often had difficulty concentrating. She didn't realize the garbage for the school was dumped on that side of the building on the first floor. I've had some really interesting discoveries shared with me! Of course, once you can identify places to improve or take note of, you're one step closer to designing the classroom of your dreams!

Shiref

we must developed thought to how manage technology resources and try how use in ideal mode

holmesg

@Peggy,

I agree with you.  We all do not have the funds to purchase furniture to arrange our rooms in the way of our dreams, so it all comes down to making due with what we have and making it work.  One of the first things that I do in my classroom is rearrange the furniture to allow for team work and collaboration  I then invite the art teacher in to help decorate the walls.  It can become a project for the students to design a learning space that works best for them.